Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 02:39:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: One last thing on the 51% attack  (Read 1768 times)
NASDAQEnema (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:50:44 AM

51% attack exists because ppl want a one size fits all solution. This is necessary for store of value purists and for the demurrage ppl as well.

Stop being paranoid about altchains and build a library of common functions.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 07:36:27 AM

For all we know the next bitcoin has been killed at birth by people overly invested in  bitcoin  1.

They will never allow a competitor to get to the stage of threatening their baby.

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:49:35 AM

For all we know the next bitcoin has been killed at birth by people overly invested in  bitcoin  1.

They will never allow a competitor to get to the stage of threatening their baby.

Which brings it back to being it about money and monopoly.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 07:54:26 AM

The next bitcoin is going to have to solve the 51% issue without the shit that happened with sc.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 08:03:33 AM

Just get the major ASIC farms and pools on board with merged mining. Anyone big enough to attack that is big enough to find to hit with massive "this person is criminally attacking our network, costing umpteen dollars in disruption" law enforcement and/or civil suits, cease and desist orders, filtering and banning and loss of ISP accounts at their ISP level etc etc etc.

(Just get infrared satellites to look for undocumented mining farms like they do grow-houses...)

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
sd

Activity: 730

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 06:51:35 PM

I don't think that's true at all. Visa, Mastercard, Paypal all have a lot invested but are unable and/or unwilling to stop BitCoin threatening their core businesses.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 10:25:27 PM

Unlike some nutcases, they know that 51% attacks would be criminal and they would get in legal trouble for attempting them. Maybe anti-trust or somesuch laws might hit them to, deliberate sabotage of competitors, conspiracy, gosh knows what. Cyber-terrorism?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:47:13 PM

Such an attack is not criminal, not even unethical. These currencies are designed to be voted on by 51 per cent of the available power deciding which chain is the correct one. If I have that power, then I decide. This is mob rule, I'm OK with that.

Survival of the fittest.
btharper

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:10:13 PM

Such an attack is not criminal, not even unethical. These currencies are designed to be voted on by 51 per cent of the available power deciding which chain is the correct one. If I have that power, then I decide. This is mob rule, I'm OK with that.

Survival of the fittest.
There's definitely some truth to that, although some actions would possibly be ruled a criminal if they are obviously trying to break things. Trying to pull off a double spend or denying transactions to specific entities might be criminal interference, but simply owning the majority share of power definitely isn't illegal. Even enforcing mildly arbitrary rules like 0.02BTC+ 2% transaction fees (removing the advantage of low transaction fees) might be perfectly legal. Under such a plan blocks with transactions not including "proper" fees wouldn't be included in their chain, and if they have enough power then they get to say so.

Unethical is definitely still there though, but not publishing their rules might make it murkier.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 05:35:15 AM

Rejecting other miners' perfectly good blocks is clear attack though.

-MarkM-

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:59:09 AM

-MarkM-

No. They'll just become orphaned ones.
btharper

Activity: 389

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 06:22:27 AM

It would require them to redefine what "perfectly good" meant to them. To drive transaction prices up that high would probably be seen as attack (since it would exclude most transactions). But right now there are other fairly arbitrary rules setup that current miners do enforce, size limits, certain limits to prevent bitdust attacks, etc. Even the standard client's insistence on including transaction fees for small or immature coinbases can be seen as a set of arbitrary rules.

I do think that the real line gets drawn when they start rejecting blocks from other miners though as you said. Refusing to include transactions they don't like (while permitting them to enter the blockchain through other miners) would be perfectly valid even now.
markm
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 06:47:03 AM

-MarkM-

No. They'll just become orphaned ones.

No, the rogue miner is mining a totally separate blockchain at that point.

Your imaginary "it is all ok as its the wild west out here" might work for a few hobbyists hijacking each other's hobbyhorses but with millions of dollars on the line it will more likely be as simple as how many dollars of damage are they doing by their "unfair competitive practices" and whether they are part of a conspiracy to do it...

-MarkM-

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 11:06:42 AM

For all we know the next bitcoin has been killed at birth by people overly invested in  bitcoin  1.

They don't have that choice. Bitcoin is an experiment and wasn't intended as the backbone for an entire economy. Litecoin or any of the current alt chains isn't either but eventually it will happen. My bet is even within this decade.

And lol no it won't be announced in this sub-forum. When this board gets wind of it it will already be too late.
AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:20:02 AM

I guess the real world equiv is like more than half the people rocking up to the bar with monopoly money, and arguing with the bar tender it's real money, who has an obsession with listening to more than half of the people.

In the real world, we'd not do this, we'd trust our experience of knowing what money looks likes, why dont we simply build into the software something to check the entropy of the submitting-nodes of new work is roughly the same as over the last X blocks? e.g. not a brand new set of hosts all shouting it.

Luceo

Activity: 350

Per aspera ad astra!

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:28:25 AM

I guess the real world equiv is like more than half the people rocking up to the bar with monopoly money, and arguing with the bar tender it's real money, who has an obsession with listening to more than half of the people.

In the real world, we'd not do this, we'd trust our experience of knowing what money looks likes, why dont we simply build into the software something to check the entropy of the submitting-nodes of new work is roughly the same as over the last X blocks? e.g. not a brand new set of hosts all shouting it.

The problem with this analogy is that there isn't a 'bartender' in Bitcoin. This is why Solidcoin used trusted nodes. The argument is how do we implement a bartender with the least centralization possible?

AndyRossy

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:34:12 AM

The problem with this analogy is that there isn't a 'bartender' in Bitcoin. This is why Solidcoin used trusted nodes. The argument is how do we implement a bartender with the least centralization possible?

We do not implement centralization.

What about each node, before, accepting the new block is "genuine" compares it to the way the prior X blocks have propagated? not sure if it makes any sense though... but... if the nodes were propagates from a host which doesnt normally submit, then relayed by others that do not normally relay... would require each client holding a "footprint" of last X blocks prop. pattern.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:46:05 AM

And lol no it won't be announced in this sub-forum. When this board gets wind of it it will already be too late.

U r wrong. I'm announcing that i'm launching a new coin. It's beta-tested now. Anyone who wish to take part in the launch could send me a PM, so I'll send detailed info with instructions and source code when the coin is released.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 11:49:39 AM

U r wrong. I'm announcing that i'm launching a new coin. It's beta-tested now. Anyone who wish to take part in the launch could send me a PM, so I'll send detailed info with instructions and source code when the coin is released.

Silly it won't be called a "coin", it won't be a bitcoin fork and you guys wouldn't even recognize it for what it is if you stuble upon it.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:02:08 PM

Silly it won't be called a "coin", it won't be a bitcoin fork and you guys wouldn't even recognize it for what it is if you stuble upon it.

It's more similar to real world coins than Bitcoin is.
It's not a bitcoin fork and this is an advantage.
It's an implementation of an electronic coin that doesn't have some disadvantages of Bitcoin. Next (but not last) step to the Perfect Coin.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: