Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:39:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Putin says Russia's military strength unmatchable  (Read 4731 times)
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 08:57:44 PM

Probably has something to do with supercavitation effect used in USSR's Shkval torpedoes or improved variants thereof.

These torpedoes can do, as per Wikipeadia, only 370 km/h, which is somewhat faster that 100 m/s, i.e. more than three times less than the speed of sound in the air.

Although I'm not an expert in this, the technology has likely improved since 80's - 90's when it was first deployed. However, if supersonic claim is true, I wouldn't expect any official information about it to be freely available in the open.

And now we are waiting for mishax1 to come over here and tell us everything about this new technology (as soon as he clarifies the matter).
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 08:58:05 PM

Russia has changed a lot in a recent decade and will continue to do so, sanctions might actually accelerate some inner developments that are long overdue.

This! ^^^

The biggest threat to the West is not Russia, but the Western leaders falling into the trap of believing their own propaganda of weak and backward Russia. Smiley

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
EvilPanda

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

Small Red and Bad

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:03:43 PM

Funny. If the US wasn't spending exorbitant amounts of funding on defense I might believe Putin.

The US has the biggest army but Russia can compete.

I think China has the biggest one, in terms of strength.
I have a feeling that if it actually came to a land war (it won't) the Russians would quickly be shown up and routed.
They have lots of troops and good equipment, but even stuff that is 10 years old is pretty much antiquated now.  I think their air defences would be fine to start with, but would be targetted pretty quickly and then the air dominance of the americans would show.

Like I say, I don't think it will happen, but the fact that America spends so much more than the rest of the worlds surely means that they have the best technology too
Not really. They have much less troops than China, USA or India.
Russia's numbers may look good on paper, but if we counted only weapons and vehicles produced in the last 15 years, they'd be left with half of their gear as most of it, including flagships, was built in the 70s and 80s.

pattu1

Activity: 675

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:14:21 AM

Funny. If the US wasn't spending exorbitant amounts of funding on defense I might believe Putin.

Nowadays, the strength of the army isn't really critical.
China has been downsizing and modernising its defence force.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:27:46 AM

1. Putin has $200Billion
2. The Russians has submarine torpedo's that can go as fast as twice the speed of sound.

I think you are confusing torpedoes with cruise missiles launched from submarines. Russian cruise missile P-700 Granit has speed of 2.5 Mach.

No, I'm not.  Wink

I just can't fancy a torpedo which would have the speed of twice the speed of sound (~700 m/s). At such speed water would behave more like concrete (unless it gets somehow evaporated en route).

You are correct. Nothing moves close to that speed in the water. Not to mention that the speed of sound would be different in water. mishax1, could you be thinking of a sub launched missile?

I'll try to provide some clarification in the next days.

Sorry guys, I misunderstood the man, the speeds of the advanced torpedo are actually 900-1000km/h (about 1 mach) and not 2mach as I said.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:38:43 AM

1. Putin has $200Billion
2. The Russians has submarine torpedo's that can go as fast as twice the speed of sound.

I think you are confusing torpedoes with cruise missiles launched from submarines. Russian cruise missile P-700 Granit has speed of 2.5 Mach.

No, I'm not.  Wink

I just can't fancy a torpedo which would have the speed of twice the speed of sound (~700 m/s). At such speed water would behave more like concrete (unless it gets somehow evaporated en route).

You are correct. Nothing moves close to that speed in the water. Not to mention that the speed of sound would be different in water. mishax1, could you be thinking of a sub launched missile?

Sorry guys, I misunderstood the man, the speeds of the advanced torpedo are actually 900-1000km/h (about 1 mach) and not 2mach as I said.

900 km/h (around 250 m/s) is still a far cry from 331 m/s of the speed of sound in the air. Strictly subsonic. Are you sure that the torpedo you are talking about is not a cruise missile, and that it moves entirely in water (not a hydrofoil)?
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:45:03 AM

1. Putin has $200Billion

No, I'm not.  Wink

900 km/h (around 250 m/s) is still a far cry from 331 m/s of the speed of sound in the air. Strictly subsonic. Are you sure that the torpedo you are talking about is not a cruise missile, and that it moves entirely in water (not a hydrofoil)?

Not a cruise missile.
Nik1ab

Activity: 574

freedomainradio.com

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 11:16:30 AM

I have a feeling that if it actually came to a land war (it won't) the Russians would quickly be shown up and routed.
They have lots of troops and good equipment, but even stuff that is 10 years old is pretty much antiquated now.  I think their air defences would be fine to start with, but would be targetted pretty quickly and then the air dominance of the americans would show.

Like I say, I don't think it will happen, but the fact that America spends so much more than the rest of the worlds surely means that they have the best technology too
Russia's numbers may look good on paper, but if we counted only weapons and vehicles produced in the last 15 years, they'd be left with half of their gear as most of it, including flagships, was built in the 70s and 80s.
Exactly.

No signature ad here, because their conditions have become annoying.
jackjohn79

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:36:06 PM

JSOW, MALD and HARM, s-400 killers  Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pu_PKpEhqU
jackjohn79

Activity: 14

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:51:51 PM

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/PAK-DA.jpg

PAK DA
The PAK DA (or PAK-DA), is a Russian next-generation strategic bomber design, developed by the Tupolev Design Bureau.[1] The PAK DA acronym (ПAК ДA in Russian) stands for пepcпeктивный aвиaциoнный кoмплeкc дaльнeй aвиaции (perspektivnyi aviatsionnyi kompleks dal'ney aviatsii) literally meaning "prospective aviation complex for long-range aviation".[2] The PAK DA was planned to be a new stealthy strategic bomber and is expected to enter service in 2025–30,[1] with the first aircraft previously planned for delivery in 2020,[3] but delivery will now occur in 2023.[4][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAK_DA
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:19:55 PM

The ability of a nation to cope with huge population loses can be very important in cases of attrition warfare. China has a population of 1.3 billion. It can sustain population loses up to 100 million. The same can't be said about either the US or the Russians.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:31:42 PM

The ability of a nation to cope with huge population loses can be very important in cases of attrition warfare. China has a population of 1.3 billion. It can sustain population loses up to 100 million. The same can't be said about either the US or the Russians.

With the present day weapons of mass destruction the size of population is not as important as its density (in the reverse order). China's population is accumulated along the seacoast mainly, which makes it an easy target. And it had happened already in the past when British battleships devastated many Chinese coastal cities in the 19th century (during the Opium Wars).
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 05:30:23 PM

With the present day weapons of mass destruction the size of population is not as important as its density (in the reverse order). China's population is accumulated along the seacoast mainly, which makes it an easy target. And it had happened already in the past when British battleships devastated many Chinese coastal cities in the 19th century (during the Opium Wars).

Tactically high casualty devices does make the impact of higher populations less important than the amount of extermination level weaponry you have
Still a population that size is a tactical advantage due to strength in numbers as long as they are fairly reasonably equipped it's quite the multiplier effect.
Imagines a zombie invasion with guns for the zombies
They may not be to strong individually but when swarming they are scary, this of course assumes they have a lot of transit mechanisms to go invade with etc.

Of course WMD does win all but its called MAD for a reason.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
seen369

Activity: 40

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:08:02 PM

Probably has something to do with supercavitation effect used in USSR's Shkval torpedoes or improved variants thereof.

These torpedoes can do, as per Wikipeadia, only 370 km/h, which is somewhat faster that 100 m/s, i.e. more than three times less than the speed of sound in the air.

Although I'm not an expert in this, the technology has likely improved since 80's - 90's when it was first deployed. However, if supersonic claim is true, I wouldn't expect any official information about it to be freely available in the open.

Russia has changed a lot in a recent decade and will continue to do so, sanctions might actually accelerate some inner developments that are long overdue.

That is exactly right! Russia knows never to trust the US. Never rely on them for anything!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 08:16:06 PM

Exactly.
No, not exactly, rather somewhat true. It is correct that some countries are stronger in numbers. But if you're going to be using numbers found online there are quite a few websites claiming that Russia is right behind USA in strength if you take into consideration multiple factors.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:25:15 AM

That is exactly right! Russia knows never to trust the US. Never rely on them for anything!

If the table of the laws where written today I am sure that this line would be at the top Cheesy.

money is faster...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: