Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:59:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How did you got into bitcoin/crypto ?  (Read 2922 times)
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 08:36:15 PM

Heard about Silk Road back in 2012 and thought Bitcoin was interesting, but never pursued or dived in just yet.

In 2013, is when I dove head first, and got into mining, buying, reading and researching, etc.

Now, I'm all in.
That is very similar story to mine. In my case it was Mt. Gox that first brought me to bitcoin in 2013. Luckily for me, I wanted to first read and do some of my own research on the subject, so I miss both the rally from the end of 2013 and Mt. Gox hoax. Since then, I am pretty much in, with all ups and downs included.

this space is intentionally left blank
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:53:32 AM

I was watching something to money I guess , on CNN Channel if I remember right ? idk .. but this was the first I've seen about Bitcoin => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7opj5-32hw also the one about Mining from the same user .

~ Madness

Oh! that was fun, to try mining for newbie's , we never knew that it was pretty much useless from GPU's but still fun Cheesy
Hi guys. Bitcoin first caught my attention maybe around mid 2014. Most of my life I never had the slightest idea of how digital everything would be. Now that the world populations rely on computer systems. It is the best time for a  pure digital currency to replace the dollar. So when I heard of bitcoin  it made perfect sense no doubt. How ever it is critical we establish the system correctly.

You have got a little too much expectation of it , i know many of us expect bitcoin to replace fiat but that harsh truth is that is not happening even if bitcoin goes mainstream but still it can become a global currency
I read about bitcoin in the Wall Street Journal after the first big rise to 31 USD and the subsiquent fall.  However, I didn't get into it until much later.  It is such an interesting concept and offers some real advantages in international transfers and avoiding chargebacks.

No doubt about that Wink
Heard about Silk Road back in 2012 and thought Bitcoin was interesting, but never pursued or dived in just yet.

In 2013, is when I dove head first, and got into mining, buying, reading and researching, etc.

Now, I'm all in.
That is very similar story to mine. In my case it was Mt. Gox that first brought me to bitcoin in 2013. Luckily for me, I wanted to first read and do some of my own research on the subject, so I miss both the rally from the end of 2013 and Mt. Gox hoax. Since then, I am pretty much in, with all ups and downs included.

It have been a fun ride with those up and downs Cheesy
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:59:04 AM

So! i was just thinking about how i got in crypto's , it wasn't interesting , and my google interest gave way to crypto's world slowly.
But am sure, there are people out there with interesting stories and i would love to hear them please Smiley

I had heard of it years ago, I just never looked it up.  Recently my father heard about Bitcoin and wanted me to look it up and explain it to him. So I did, and as I learned more and more about it, I got more excited, since it's an awesome technology, that fixes so many problems concerning fiat. He's more into it for speculative purposes, but I like that it helps those who can't even afford to have bank accounts, and there aren't any sneaky fees, etc like the banks charge from time to time.

Also I wasn't getting as much work recently, and I was able to get paid in BTC for graphic work, which was a really nice experience. Now, I'm just collecting as much as I can, wherever I can, and writing my guide to introduce others to it also.
so it caught interest for two of you simultaneously, pretty cool! Good luck with the guide Wink

I first heard about Bitcoin in late 2010. It was in a linux IRC chatroom (I don't remember which). We were discussing BOINC and other distributed computing projects and a guy named MagicalTux (yup that MagicalTux) started talking about Bitcoin mining, and how that all worked.

I looked into Bitcoin and I didn't really understand it and I didn't realize the importance of the fact it was decentralized, and most of the explanations to questions I had were very technical and long, there wasn't many beginner-friendly articles around. I actually found BitcoinTalk and created an account, but never posted on it. I found some website that sold stuff and accepted Bitcoin. All of the products were priced in Satoshis, and while I was browsing the prices slightly changed due to variances in the Bitcoin price. At this point I thought this was way too complicated to ever amount to anything, stuff was priced with 8 decimal points there was lots of confusing technical jargon and it all seemed kind of pointless too.

I heard about Bitcoin again in late 2011 from an article about the Silk Road and thats when I got very curious about it and decided to read up about it again as I had clearly underestimated its power the first time. This time there was lots of information available, there were plenty of websites accepting it and everything was much more polished and I could see the technology actually working this time, so I decided to get more involved. Lost ~15BTC on Bitcoinica, ~10BTC Pirateat40, ~1BTC Instawallet, ~1BTC to a hack due to a reused password and lost BTC on some loans too but ended up making it back on the ones that paid back. In USD terms at the time none of those losses were significant. I was one of the luckier ones Smiley

Yep! you sure were/are , at that time the price was not that significant to effect that 10 to 15 btc losses and am happy you made good with it Cheesy

because my country can freeze any account to pay bankster (since dec 2013) ... so, my gov don't protect me from stealing.
so, i protect my money with bitcoin.

well ... actually  Grin the first reason is because i have many time explose the limit of my credit card ... and the bank don't allow to spend MY MONEY AVAILABLE ON MY ACCOUNT. Roll Eyes

And we call this "professionnals" ...

Wow! what country is that Huh
antigov

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:33:33 AM

first heard of btc in july 2013, and i start buying btc when btc price goes to $1k+
slaveforanunnak1

Activity: 743
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 01:47:59 AM

I heard Andreas on Joe Rogan podcast on one  January 28, 2014 on my way home from work.  I was mining that night with my macbook using GUIminer (needless to say it went no where LOL) Now I'm a complete addict to where the first thing i checked every morning is /r/bitcoin after turning off the alarm. I lay in bed quite to make sure i don't wake the lady, cus she is "not a morning person" and read for a good 15 minutes before I even get up to take a shower.
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:02:21 AM

I heard Andreas on Joe Rogan podcast on one  January 28, 2014 on my way home from work.  I was mining that night with my macbook using GUIminer (needless to say it went no where LOL) Now I'm a complete addict to where the first thing i checked every morning is /r/bitcoin after turning off the alarm. I lay in bed quite to make sure i don't wake the lady, cus she is "not a morning person" and read for a good 15 minutes before I even get up to take a shower.

Lol! yeah it was like a fever in starting to check it all now and then to see if we hit a block Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

first heard of btc in july 2013, and i start buying btc when btc price goes to $1k+
That sounds bad
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:16:40 AM

So! i was just thinking about how i got in crypto's , it wasn't interesting , and my google interest gave way to crypto's world slowly.
But am sure, there are people out there with interesting stories and i would love to hear them please Smiley

I allways was proud of my PC, and when i heard about the thingy that makes you money depending how your GPU is strong, i had to give it a shot and see whats my performance.
Then i lost interest until it started growing in price again..
From then on, all i was doing is buying more GPUs , until asics came out.
I actually had alot of funds from that old bitcoin fountain that was giving away 5btc , but lost them in time, banging my head on the wall ever since... some older users can relate..

cheers
pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:26:57 AM

I read article about that scandinavian guy who bought a flat for ~30$ worth of BTC (he bought 5000BTC in 2009).
I knew a bit about bitcoins earlier because it was mentioned in article about Silk Road but I didn't check it carefully enough  Angry

koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:40:31 AM

I allways was proud of my PC, and when i heard about the thingy that makes you money depending how your GPU is strong, i had to give it a shot and see whats my performance.
Then i lost interest until it started growing in price again..
From then on, all i was doing is buying more GPUs , until asics came out.
I actually had alot of funds from that old bitcoin fountain that was giving away 5btc , but lost them in time, banging my head on the wall ever since... some older users can relate..

cheers

Sounds interesting! so you still mining Huh i can't relate and i was never into faucets that much as i never gave this time before but now since am free
I read article about that scandinavian guy who bought a flat for ~30$ worth of BTC (he bought 5000BTC in 2009).
I knew a bit about bitcoins earlier because it was mentioned in article about Silk Road but I didn't check it carefully enough  Angry
Yeah i heard it too! Lucky guy
The Degentleman

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:41:21 AM

A friend of mine mentioned it and showed me some sites. Been hooked ever since!
thebenjamincode

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

37iGtdUJc2xXTDkw5TQZJQX1Wb98gSLYVP

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:49:14 AM

i was trying to find ways on how to earn money online then i found this Smiley
Mikestang
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 02:51:23 AM

I have been into stuff like this since I ran a BBS back in the 1980s.  For some reason I have only just recently taken an active role in Bitcoin, however.  Wish I did a lot sooner, but better late than never.  What finally motivated me to install core and start mining was hearing Andreas Antonopoulos on the Joe Rogan podcast, and subsequently buying his book and reading it twice.  I can't code at all, but it was still a great introduction to BTC, and here I am.
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 03:35:19 PM

I have been into stuff like this since I ran a BBS back in the 1980s.  For some reason I have only just recently taken an active role in Bitcoin, however.  Wish I did a lot sooner, but better late than never.  What finally motivated me to install core and start mining was hearing Andreas Antonopoulos on the Joe Rogan podcast, and subsequently buying his book and reading it twice.  I can't code at all, but it was still a great introduction to BTC, and here I am.

Andreas Antonopoulos really got us many community members
And hyes better late than never Smiley
koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:05:11 PM

I did into bitcoin/cryptocoin ?  Grin
It happened at the beginning of 2014 I was looking for a way to supplement their daily pocket money .
Then I searched the internet for ways to make money and see bitcoin .
After that I deepen about bitcoin and will know a lot cryptocoin and until now I still venture into cryptocoin .  Wink

It has always been so fun too Cheesy
jorjito25

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:33:09 PM

I started with bitcoin couse one day I saw in the TV News.
The price went up and up, then I decided to buy a some coins couse I though "uff I dont wanna lose the opportunity,  this will make me rich".
Then the price came down!!

Undecided

But still waitting for the next to the moon!!!
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:59:20 PM

I've joined the ship with a long dead altcoin.
Then I started with faucets etc.

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
Bitdonator
Legendary

Activity: 1223
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:31:42 PM

One day my brother come back from school and ask me to write
on or two page for homework.... about cryptography.
I start resarch on internet and found BTC for the first time  Smiley
menlatin

Activity: 366
Merit: 260

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

I remember hearing about bitcoin back in 2009 or 2010, when I was doing SETI@HOME. I dismissed it, and then when the price spiked to $1200 I got in with dogecoin after it capitalized on the hype.

A little over a year later and I'm finally starting my first crypto company.

koelen3 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 02:05:15 AM

One day my brother come back from school and ask me to write
on or two page for homework.... about cryptography.
I start resarch on internet and found BTC for the first time  Smiley

This seems interesting  Shocked
I remember hearing about bitcoin back in 2009 or 2010, when I was doing SETI@HOME. I dismissed it, and then when the price spiked to $1200 I got in with dogecoin after it capitalized on the hype.

A little over a year later and I'm finally starting my first crypto company.
What company Huh

Sold an ebook for a few btc, then years later realized it was 5000$ now. Jumped right in.

Awesome ! Cheesy
God27

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

The 4th industrial revolution!

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 02:10:22 AM

This is a great thread.

Someone at work was talking about the Silk Road in October 2013.  My weed sources were very dry at that time.  I went home and read about the Silk Road that night. 

I learned I had to buy bitcoin.  So I went and saw the price at like $300, I said damn hold on a minute before I get scammed.  I looked again the next day and it was like $330.

It was like a first HIGH.

I said forget about the weed, I want to trade BTC. 

And here we are today.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: