Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 04:21:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GoldBits - Newbie scammer  (Read 7616 times)
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 01:43:05 PM

the coin is now in my city. I should have it in a few hours.

I see many people speculating that I am / am associated with GB. Due to this, I will not be making an 'endorsement' of the seller even if the coin comes out as legit. Everyone should do their own due diligence; I can admit that mine was not very extensive. I of course hope that whatever GB continues to sell (if he does) is fully legit, as to avoid accusations against myself.

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 07:49:33 PM

About to open box now..

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
markj113 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:51:33 PM

drum roll  Smiley
wayneyoyo

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 07:54:48 PM

About to open box now..
Care to post any pictures of an empty box?
elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:05:07 PM

markj113 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:06:40 PM

Any coin dimensions.

elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:07:16 PM

Any coin dimensions or better close up pics of the coin

Just updated post

elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:09:55 PM

Any coin dimensions or better close up pics of the coin

as far as i can tell, 33mm by 3mm

markj113 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:14:33 PM

the coin looks right, showing slightly under weight as it should be 31.1g but could be scales accuracy but tungsten core coins are very close in dimensions & weight.

Changing my feedback to neutral, OP has delivered the coin as promised, authenticity still to be proven.

Not giving positive or completely removing feedback as lack of Escrow is a worry and could be a long con.

Will be interesting what price the maple grams sell at as Goldbits stated he did not have them in hand so selling at below retail price would be a concern.

Any chance of some clear face on pics of the coin and not angled shots.
elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:18:34 PM

the coin looks right, showing slightly under weight as it should be 31.1g but could be scales accuracy.

Changing my feedback to neutral, OP has delivered the coin as promised, authenticity still to be proven.

Not giving positive or completely removing feedback as lack of Escrow is a worry and could be a long con.

Will be interesting what price the maple grams sell at as Goldbits stated he did not have them in hand so selling at below retail price would be a concern.

Scale is showing 31.0, 31.1, and 31.2 seemingly indiscriminately. When set to OZT, it shows 1.00 or 1.01
as far as I can tell, its legit. It looks like I wont have time to have this tested today, but certainly tomorrow.

elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:36:28 PM

markj113 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:45:25 PM

the relief, detail and colour look correct too me.

If you do sell it be interesting if the xrf test comes back good.

So either a genuine seller that lost the plot on pricing or part of a drawn out long con after some initial trust is built.

Time will tell Smiley

p.s. get that coin back in the capsule asap, .9999 gold is soft and scratches and dings easily.
elianite
Legendary

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:48:18 PM

If you do sell it be interesting if the xrf test comes back good.

Do you know what kinds of places do XRF tests? how exactly does it work; would it usually cost me to go get it xrf'ed?

I was thinking id just bring it to a local coin shop and see if they'll confirm it as real & buy it.

and yes, its back in the capsule.

markj113 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:58:25 PM

Any bullion dealer or slightly larger pawn shop should be able to xrf/ultrasonic test it, usually for free too if you tell them you are thinking of selling it Wink

XRF/ultrasonic is a non destructive test, plenty of vids online.

With tungsten coins the usual scratch and acid test wont really work as they are heavy gold plated (+ the scratch and acid will spoil the coin)

Couple of tests you can do at home -

Check dimensions with digital calipers if available
Accurate weight check
Specific gravity test
Magnetic test
Detail check of coins fonts sizing and spacing, fine coin details against high res online picture.

A good tungsten copy would pass all the above tests though.  

the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 09:19:10 PM

the coin looks right, showing slightly under weight as it should be 31.1g but could be scales accuracy but tungsten core coins are very close in dimensions & weight.

Interesting.  I, too, will alter my feedback if this pans out well.
the joint
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 09:38:46 PM

An odd post that was just deleted from his thread.  Sketchy behavior even if the transaction is successful. Noted.
hedgy73
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1077

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:07:33 PM

Well the coin certainly looks the part.

I really don't know why GoldBits started a self moderated thread with a new account and deleted so many posts mostly of which I could see no harm in to sell a coin well under market value.

This all seems very strange to me Huh.
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:23:08 PM

Well the coin certainly looks the part.

I really don't know why GoldBits started a self moderated thread with a new account and deleted so many posts mostly of which I could see no harm in to sell a coin well under market value.

This all seems very strange to me Huh.

It adds up to nothing but future sketchiness to me, but maybe the seller had a stroke and was a horrible person before and now wants to make amends by selling under market by self moderating and refusing to escrow.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:27:25 PM

Elianite has been on the Goods sub-forum for a while now, and I have PM'd with him several times before.  I don't think he is affiliated with GoldBits.  

Personally I would not risk buying the coin, as there are too many red flags.  But perhaps he felt the risk was worth it to him.

Lets give this a chance, and see how it pans out.  I hope it works out for elianite.  But even if it does, I still wouldn't buy from GoldBits.

On Youtube, I've also seen tests besides drilling, including ultrasound, and simply letting the coin fall and listening for its metallic sound.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
TookDk
Legendary

Activity: 1960
Merit: 1062

One coin to rule them all

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 10:28:53 PM

Congrats on that beautiful coin elianite Smiley
I have my self been looking to pick up a buffalo, but got panda's instead.

With the price you paid, you should have margin to carry out some of the testing that Mark suggested.
A experience bullion dealer could properly by experience determine the authenticity with a magnifier.
My suggestion is not to confirm if the seller is legit or not, but simple so you will sleep better at night Smiley

Cheers Smiley

Edit: You got balls

Cryptography is one of the few things you can truly trust.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: