Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:42:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NFC - The QR Code Killer  (Read 2207 times)
Dalkore
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026

Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 08:59:18 PM

Could NFC or Near Field Communication be the next big that Bitcoin needs for offline exchange of Bitcoin?

Thoughts?

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/

Nope, NFC is more insecure that QR.   QR is low tech but if implemented properly, can give you decent security and it is easy to use and it open sourced.  That has a lot of advantages.   I still think NFC will take off but I personally will not use it and I request all my cards without that RFID tap and go stuff removed.

Dalkore

Hosting: Low as $60.00 per KW - Link
Transaction List: jayson3 +5 - ColdHardMetal +3 - Nolo +2 - CoinHoarder +1 - Elxiliath +1 - tymm0 +1 - Johnniewalker +1 - Oscer +1 - Davidj411 +1 - BitCoiner2012 +1 - dstruct2k +1 - Philj +1 - camolist +1 - exahash +1 - Littleshop +1 - Severian +1 - DebitMe +1 - lepenguin +1 - StringTheory +1 - amagimetals +1 - jcoin200 +1 - serp +1 - klintay +1 - -droid- +1 - FlutterPie +1
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:27:55 PM

Could NFC or Near Field Communication be the next big that Bitcoin needs for offline exchange of Bitcoin?

Thoughts?

http://www.nearfieldcommunication.org/

Nope, NFC is more insecure that QR.   QR is low tech but if implemented properly, can give you decent security and it is easy to use and it open sourced.  That has a lot of advantages.   I still think NFC will take off but I personally will not use it and I request all my cards without that RFID tap and go stuff removed.

Dalkore
In the same vein, NFC can certainly be more secure if implemented properly. Using an NFC device as a way to store a secret is an ideal use-case.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:08:57 AM

I could see a physical bitcoin kinda like MintChip using this type of tech. It would be good for small amounts using Electrum or Stratum purchases.

From what I have heard. MintChip sucks.
Yeah, but not because of the tech. It's the central control that sucks. Physical bitcoins are cool. We need more tech ideas like NFC to expand the usefulness of BTC.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: