Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 08:43:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO: bitcoin is far ahead! Altcoins are distractions!  (Read 10399 times)
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 10:58:57 PM
Last edit: March 04, 2015, 01:43:44 PM by Beliathon

Yes, I already agreed to this. Bitcoin only solves the BGP if you assume the network isn't compromised. Strictly speaking, Bitcoin cannot solve the  Byzantine Generals' Problem, but neither can anything else with 100% confidence. This is why it is a "dilemma" or "problem"  and why researchers study probabilistic solutions to solving the Byzantine fault tolerance problems.
Strictly speaking, on paper the dilemma may remain forever "unsolvable". However, each and every day of bitcoin's existence, the problem of trust is solved in practice.

And it's getting bigger and more valuable.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Btcvilla

Activity: 1078
Merit: 270

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:23:54 AM

I use altcoins all the time (mainly just Dogecoin now). But its annoying when people who love these altcoins say it will take over Bitcoin, That will never happen..
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:29:41 AM

Altcoins are basically useless except for demonstrating/testing out new ideas or perhaps as a fork if Bitcoin got too corrupted.

They aren't useless but they don't present anything new that would overshadow Bitcoin.

Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 07:00:21 AM

Altcoins are basically useless except for demonstrating/testing out new ideas or perhaps as a fork if Bitcoin got too corrupted.
at this moment, the only use any altcoin out there has is just to put money in a few people's pockets. if you see the price change of any altcoin, you can see lots and lots of pumps and dumps which a few people are getting rich by.

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
BayAreaCoins
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 1242

Owner at AltQuick.com & FreeBitcoins.com

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 12:16:13 PM

at this moment, the only use any altcoin out there has is just to put money in a few people's pockets. if you see the price change of any altcoin, you can see lots and lots of pumps and dumps which a few people are getting rich by.

Bitcoin is plenty corrupt and plenty of Pump n dumps... last one was cause of Coinbase actually and their Rick Rolling news.  I wonder if Coinbase tries to grab the lime light again on this little rise.

https://AltQuick.com/exchange/ - Trade altcoins & Bitcoin Testnet coins with real Bitcoin. Fast, private, and easy!
https://FreeBitcoins.com/faucet/ - Load your AltQuick exchange account with free Bitcoins & Testnet every 10 minutes.
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

Most the use of most altcoins is indeed to make money to a small number of people.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 01:45:04 PM

Bitcoin is plenty corrupt and plenty of Pump n dumps...
What's the matter capitalist, the market leaving you butthurt? You don't like the game because other people have more pieces than you do?
Awwww, poor little guy, he still thinks he can win the game! I'm afraid there's no room for you at the top of the pyramid, my child. You will have to remain poor forever.

Harsh reality: If you're not already among the global wealthiest ten percent, odds are high you'll be getting poorer in the coming decades. Automation is a bitch of a thing.
This is the beginning of the end of the nation state and capitalism as we know it. Divesting everything from fiat is your only hope to survive the coming transition.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2015, 01:48:22 PM

Very important video interview!  Brian Armstrong talks with Altcoin developers on how to integrate into Coinbase.

Must watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIasr2AiyZ0

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Btcvilla

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:29:11 PM

Very important video interview!  Brian Armstrong talks with Altcoin developers on how to integrate into Coinbase.

Must watch:

My sides, that is just amazing, the best version of this is the Minecraft one.
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:55:26 AM

Must watch:

My sides, that is just amazing, the best version of this is the Minecraft one.

The vid was pretty damn funny (saw it last night btw unrelated to this thread).

Just an FYI, Brian never answered publicly as far as I know. But I have heard he would rather not take me up on my offer Smiley.

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
pitham1
Legendary

Activity: 1232

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:08:56 AM

Most the use of most altcoins is indeed to make money to a small number of people.

If an altcoin truly had an innovative feature, I am sure it will get adopted in Bitcoin as well.

Btcvilla

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:10:39 AM

If an altcoin truly had an innovative feature, I am sure it will get adopted in Bitcoin as well.
Burstcoin and Litecoin...
TheMage

Activity: 812

Litecoin Association Director

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:31:44 AM

Burstcoin and Litecoin...

Not trying to sound ignorant or an ass, but what is Burstcoin?

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/TheRealMage for Litecoin and Litecoin Association news!
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:32:46 AM

A layer on top might address something. The core development looks to be extremely steady from the outside. I guess it becomes more than an intriguing challenge if you know thousands are watching your every move.
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 04:02:07 AM

I couldn't agree more.

Alt coins are hobbies, bitcoin is for real.

drotto

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:28:24 AM

People can use what ever form they like, but I would agree that bitcoin is the future right now. All other are just copies to the most extent. There may be a new currency that comes out that is superior to bitcoin that will take the lead, but for now my btc is on Bitcoin.
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 12:36:34 AM

He is is right though and I agree with him. The average Joe on street or even my friends have a hard time understanding bitcoin and the concept behind it. Now imagine explaining the reason behind crappy altcoins like jackpotcoin or potcoin lol.

What if this was the attitude when people first started using the internet and friends were learning about the first search engine.

Bitcoin needs the competition that altcoins provide to keep it striving to improve. Competition is healthy and highly beneficial to the consumer.
duckydonald

Activity: 378

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 11:55:28 AM

I think bitcoin is weak thanks to greed of the alt coins
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
March 26, 2015, 12:11:26 PM

Well, on a second thoughts maybe altcoins have it use after all. Imagine how boring it were to be if we can only trade between btc and usd. Trading does help to make the crypto scene become more livelier, more news event to write about and that's about it. In general I still think it brings more harm than good.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
March 26, 2015, 12:13:49 PM

Actually technologically NXT is far ahead of bitcoin...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: