Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:50:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ironic now? User Parapain reported Bitcoinica to the police in February.  (Read 1521 times)
mc_lovin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 06:57:28 AM

Stumbed across this thread just now:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=64176.0

Remember all the flak he received over reporting them?  Now YOU GUYS are reporting Bitcoinica to the police!!!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 07:35:00 AM

Parapian's on a streak! First bitcoinica, now TizzyTazzy, what scam will he predict next? I wonder what he thinks about Micon's Ponzi list.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 07:51:23 AM

Parapian's on a streak! First bitcoinica, now TizzyTazzy, what scam will he predict next? I wonder what he thinks about Micon's Ponzi list.

I may have to retract what I said earlier about him...

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:06:12 AM

How does Bitcoinica's alleged lack of legal registration affect their poor security?

Paraipan filed a report against Bitcoinica for possibly violating technical laws. Others recently filed a report against Bitcoinica for failing to compensate owners what they're due, which was not the result of Bitcoinica not releasing where or how they're registered with the government, though that will affect how much users are rewarded if legal action is successful. If Bitcoinica failed to register, the owner/ops are at pretty extreme risk, and the unpaid users in a relatively good position with regards to collecting the full amount they're owed. IANAL, though.
finkleshnorts

Activity: 336

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 08:20:18 AM

How does Bitcoinica's alleged lack of legal registration affect their poor security?

Paraipan filed a report against Bitcoinica for possibly violating technical laws. Others recently filed a report against Bitcoinica for failing to compensate owners what they're due, which was not the result of Bitcoinica not releasing where or how they're registered with the government, though that will affect how much users are rewarded if legal action is successful. If Bitcoinica failed to register, the owner/ops are at pretty extreme risk, and the unpaid users in a relatively good position with regards to collecting the full amount they're owed. IANAL, though.

Press came out when they registered in New Zealand, or something
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 09:21:06 AM

It's a bit complicated but because the paperwork for the company acting as General Partner in Bitcoinica LP hadn't been completed when the Rackspace intrusion occurred there was considerable legal wrangling about who was responsible for the losses and who had the legal authority and duty to refund users.

Having the legal paperwork in order would not have prevented the breaches.  The manner in which the breaches occurred might give rise to additional liability though.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
R-

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Pasta

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 12:36:59 PM

Parapian's on a streak! First bitcoinica, now TizzyTazzy, what scam...

Woh... what happened to Tiz?
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:47:59 PM

Revealed as a previous scammer when a different trade went haywire.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 05:43:08 AM

Revealed as a previous scammer when a different trade went haywire.

shit, no wonder he's gone now

my most reliable gold supplier went missing, argh.

Raize
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:01:02 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 08:00:49 PM by Raize

Paraipan took a lot of crap for his actions that he didn't deserve, IMHO. I didn't stick up for him in that thread, but I was always very critical of Bitcoinica on Reddit. It seemed like one of those sites where the guy building it was testing things as they went into production and it just didn't seem like a safe place to store money. That said, hindsight is 20/20. This latest twist seems extremely convoluted. Usually the easiest explanation is the most likely one, and I am not convinced there are any innocent parties here. Everyone from the exchanges down to Zhoutong look like scumbags.
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:27:04 PM

Oh no...

Comtrails is actually the guvment putting out vapor to control my mind...   :O

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: