Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:32:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [AVL NOW] Countdown to radeon 7990  (Read 11319 times)
goxed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:20:12 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2012, 06:20:02 AM by goxed

Available for Sale @ Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131479

It's launched guys!

http://www.techpowerup.com/171009/PowerColor-Devil-13-HD-7990-Revealed.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2012/07/30/amd-hd-7990-leak/1

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:46:41 PM

Good god,  4x 6pin power plugs!?!?  What a power hog this is gonna be.  Roll Eyes

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:12:24 PM

Good god,  4x 6pin power plugs!?!?  What a power hog this is gonna be.  Roll Eyes

Huh?

Most normal dual GPU cards feature a 2x8 pin power connector arrangement for input of 150 W each (official, they handle more)

This card has 4x6 pin power connector for input of 75W each (official, they handle more). Notice the math there?

The difference is in how it allows handling of incoming power, the power circuitry is unique to this card. These four 6-pin connectors give the card a multiphase power regulation, which is divided into three groups.

So to say it's a power hog based on it's connector style is wrong.

It will undoubtedly be more power hungry than a 690 from the green team, but it will also be faster. This has nothing to do with how many power plugs featured.
50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:03:33 PM

Wondering, would mining on it profitable at release date?

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:35:32 PM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:37:45 PM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry
Quite so. I can't figure it out, it seems to me that the most logical thing would be 2x 8-pin: 150w each, = 300 watts total, whereas 3x 6-pin: 75w each, = 225 watts total. Huh

Do the PCIe bridge chip and the memory really need as much power as both the GPUs combined? Huh

EDIT: Derp, 4x 6-pins, not 3. Still it works out to the same wattage as 2x 8-pins.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:55:31 AM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry
Quite so. I can't figure it out, it seems to me that the most logical thing would be 2x 8-pin: 150w each, = 300 watts total, whereas 3x 6-pin: 75w each, = 225 watts total. Huh

Do the PCIe bridge chip and the memory really need as much power as both the GPUs combined? Huh

EDIT: Derp, 4x 6-pins, not 3. Still it works out to the same wattage as 2x 8-pins.

The PCIe bridge chip should use barely any power. The RAM should not use anywhere near the GPU's lol.... that would be madness

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:02:43 AM

bummer.......   Angry

The PCIe bridge chip should use barely any power. The RAM should not use anywhere near the GPU's lol.... that would be madness
Exactly. And yet, some are postulating that the necessity of 4 connectors is to provide better power or something, and that some of them would be dedicated to the RAM and others to the GPUs. Madness.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:22:38 AM

Maybe has an 8-phase PSU.
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:08:41 AM

It's a three group multiphase power regulation...

Not for MORE power, for better power, these chips will clock like crazy. The voltage input on these chips will be very stable.

jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:22:41 AM

Not for MORE power, for better power, these chips will clock like crazy. The voltage input on these chips will be very stable.

still, dont think it will be worth 4 pci cables...  im not even sure win7 will load 4 of these monsters

16pci plugs..what a clusterfuk

Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:05:37 AM

+1

"Damn you AMD you designed it to be MORE stable for overclocking but now I have to use these 8 pin to 2x6 pin adapters, YOU BASTARDS!"

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:49:42 AM

Wouldn't it be better if they stopped worrying so much about overclockability and all the caveats that entails and just made a fast card out of the box?

Maybe even make it run off of two 8pin cables, that would be so cool. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 02:56:21 PM

yeah, it'll finally beat the 5970 in gaming performance
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:00:22 PM

Doesn't powercolor's card have 3x8-pin PCI-e?

You could run 3 of those off an enermax platimax without any additional connectors... would be good for something like 3.7Ghash.
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:27:40 AM

Wouldn't it be better if they stopped worrying so much about overclockability and all the caveats that entails and just made a fast card out of the box?

Maybe even make it run off of two 8pin cables, that would be so cool. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It is a fast card out of the box...

Here's the "thing". In order to comply to the PCI-e official specifications, the card has to remain within a 300W (or less) power envelope out of the box. So when you take it out of the box and plug it in it's fast, but only 300W (or less) worth of fast. That means if Joseph Ding Dong with his shiny whitebox home built PC and FANCY Diablotek 650 W Firestarter (err I mean power supply) plugs in this card, it might actually work without blowing up in flames. Might (It's a diablotek after all) Conforming to the PCI-e spec means these things can be certified for use in OEM machines like Dell and HP etc...

Now Jo Over Clocker with his 80 plus Gold rated 1500W monster plugs in two of these beasts and decides to feed them every watt they can handle to the tune of 450+ watts a piece and squeeze every single pixel out of them... well the cards are wired up for that too... beyond the PCi-e spec.

A lot of big PSU's have multiple rails and it's nice to be able balance something like this across them.

tl dr: the card is made for gamers and gamers rigs we are a secondary market only.
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:04:39 AM

I guess my sarcastic point was that for the costs associated and the grief in engineering they should have just made a more 'normal' dual gpu card and be damned about all the extra bells and whistles for super overclockers as they hold even less market share than miners do.

Ilikeham

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:09:14 PM

I guess my sarcastic point was that for the costs associated and the grief in engineering they should have just made a more 'normal' dual gpu card and be damned about all the extra bells and whistles for super overclockers as they hold even less market share than miners do.

That's an interesting point. These particular cards are the top of the line extreme items and will carry hefty price tags. This kind of mark up demands superior engineering.

IF board partners (like Powercolor or Sapphire etc) wanted to make 7870x2 , 7950x2 or even simpler 7970x2 etc... then they COULD. It's entirely within their scope and they'd do it if there was a market that they could latch onto. I'd say by the absence of such products, there is little market that they feel they could capture outside of the existing product lines.

The assertion that more people mine than overclock doesn't ring true with me in any case. The big forums like H and Xtremesystems and so on definitely add up to more enthusiasts than BTC miners.

So a nice dual card that undervolts and is easy to manage could be aimed squarely at the miners, but I think dedicated mining hardware from places like BFL is showing that this particular ship has sailed.

Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:42:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not asserting that there are more miners than 'general' overclockers, but I am saying that there are probably more miners than 'super' overclockers that know what multiphase power is going to get them and how best to turn that into a competitive advantage for the benchmarks. (as I don't think they actually play games like that)

Your general enthusiast will probably OC their card a bit for better framerates and some e-peen but they will probably not be able to fully utilize these new multiphase power setups to their upmost as 1) they don't care and 2) they are not going to mod their card aside from maybe a water block.

I fall into this 'general' overclocker family as I will OC my card(s) for better framerates but I will probably not utilize "three group multiphase power regulation" to its fullest ever. I am sure I will not want to deal with the extra heat and noise that OCing my card to the roof will avail me. Most games its diminishing returns anyway.

muqali

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:45:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am not asserting that there are more miners than 'general' overclockers, but I am saying that there are probably more miners than 'super' overclockers that know what multiphase power is going to get them and how best to turn that into a competitive advantage for the benchmarks. (as I don't think they actually play games like that)

Your general enthusiast will probably OC their card a bit for better framerates and some e-peen but they will probably not be able to fully utilize these new multiphase power setups to their upmost as 1) they don't care and 2) they are not going to mod their card aside from maybe a water block.

I fall into this 'general' overclocker family as I will OC my card(s) for better framerates but I will probably not utilize "three group multiphase power regulation" to its fullest ever. I am sure I will not want to deal with the extra heat and noise that OCing my card to the roof will avail me. Most games its diminishing returns anyway.

The heat is a boon in the winter, considering most "portable space heaters" run around 1500 watts, a PC can easily replace one in a cold room.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 12:38:12 PM

The heat is a boon in the winter, considering most "portable space heaters" run around 1500 watts, a PC can easily replace one in a cold room.

That made me laugh. Playing BF3 (or whatever) to stay warm.

I don't doubt these cards will go out in the 900+ territory, that's a lot of home heating fuel.
BFL-Scrypt

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 04:16:55 PM

So what's the latest on the actual release date?  I'd love to pick one of these up for BLOPS2.
BFL-Scrypt

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 04:58:21 PM

And has there been an MSRP released yet?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 04:51:26 PM

Anyone have anymore info?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:36:15 AM

Anyone complaining about there being 4x 6 pin PCIe Power Connectors on the 7990 after being told of the cards Multi Phase power delivery system is an idiot (or at the very least an illiterate main-streamer entering a world well beyond his/her intellectual grasp/comprehension). Insulting? Just being 100% honest... there is no getting around that.

But then again most of these folks are from the same generation that considers Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to be "Artists". Of course... "pre-packaged, mass produced frozen Turkey diners taste just like a REAL HOME COOKED TURKEY MEAL" Said Nobody Ever.

If it performs better with Multi Phase power delivery by allowing for more stable clock rates (Overclock or not) and more efficient use of power...

I'm sold.

But the thing is, all those connectors are DC. The multi-phase arrangement is part of the PWM system, which doesn't care how many DC connectors there are as long as it gets enough volts and amps. You could have one big ass pair of wires per card, and still have stable power, since the PWM system does all the magic.

Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:56:59 AM

Anyone complaining about there being 4x 6 pin PCIe Power Connectors on the 7990 after being told of the cards Multi Phase power delivery system is an idiot (or at the very least an illiterate main-streamer entering a world well beyond his/her intellectual grasp/comprehension). Insulting? Just being 100% honest... there is no getting around that.

But then again most of these folks are from the same generation that considers Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to be "Artists". Of course... "pre-packaged, mass produced frozen Turkey diners taste just like a REAL HOME COOKED TURKEY MEAL" Said Nobody Ever.

If it performs better with Multi Phase power delivery by allowing for more stable clock rates (Overclock or not) and more efficient use of power...

I'm sold.

But the thing is, all those connectors are DC. The multi-phase arrangement is part of the PWM system, which doesn't care how many DC connectors there are as long as it gets enough volts and amps. You could have one big ass pair of wires per card, and still have stable power, since the PWM system does all the magic.

Exactly.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 03:09:06 AM

OMG FOUR pci power connects?

I love it!  This will be the most epicest video card since the Voodoo5 6000.

Maybe ATi should include an external power supply too?   Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
goxed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:17:41 AM

This is epic.

Most mining rigs use ext. Powersupply anyways Smiley

muqali

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:22:07 AM

This is epic.

Most mining rigs use ext. Powersupply anyways Smiley

I remember my V5 5500. It was a beautiful thing, too bad 3dfx stopped innovating and rested on their laurels so much.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
BFL-Scrypt

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:02:36 PM

What ever happened to 3dfx anyhow?  Didn't they get absorbed by a larger company somewhere along the way?
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 03:27:42 PM

I believe Nvidia bought them out around 2000-01.

EDIT: I remember my Voodoo 5500 AGP well, was the only worthwhile card for N64 emulation.

Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 10:54:54 PM

Could we please stay on topic?

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 04:21:13 PM

I'm sold.

Actually it does care and care a lot because not every PSU is a monster single rail of 12v. Love em or hate them multi rail PSU's often can't deliver the amps needed to a single 8pin connector. Instead of forcing people to upgrade their PSU's when they make dumb choices on their six rail 1200W  monster (or two rail 700W shitbox) , they're accommodating them with this design.

So obvious.
50BTC.com

Activity: 575

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:29:58 PM

What do you think about this?

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 03:48:49 PM

Ya that showed up a few months ago. Looks sweet, but it's not an official 7990 (it's more of a 7970X2). Still, I expect it to be a killer card.

Ps Are they using GHz edition (tahiti2) chips undervolted and downclocked to 925MHz? That would make the most sense for a custom card with these clocks.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2012, 03:20:34 PM

considering you can get two 7970's for $740  Id hope the price is around $750 tops ... not $900...  but then again by the time it comes out GPU mining might be unprofitable. 

You can get them for $370 each, but that's not ATI's official MSRP. That's actually $425, or $499 for the GHz versions.

As seen on Engadget:

goxed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 24, 2012, 11:31:42 PM

bump

Insu Dra

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:49:55 PM

Zie germans stealing your thunder  Grin

http://www.mix-computer.de/html/product/detail.html?articleId=693275
http://geizhals.de/eu/?cat=gra16_512&xf=132_2048~1440_HD+7990#xf_top

Ow yha these guy's are not bfl, they can't afford to make customers way for month or more Wink

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:53:12 PM

Soo...where are the review, and where can I buy?!

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 08:57:18 PM

There's a strong part of me that wants to take 200BTC and WC 2 of these in CF. How long would 2.5GH/s take to make back 200BTC... /doesntcare

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 09:39:23 PM

There's a strong part of me that wants to take 200BTC and WC 2 of these in CF. How long would 2.5GH/s take to make back 200BTC... /doesntcare

Me too  Grin

Well @  ฿31.32 per month,@ $10 each=$313.20 per Month @ current diff  Cool

About 3 months to pay off each one.I'm guessing retail price @ $1000  Shocked

Out of my league,unless BTC hits $20  Roll Eyes

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
peasant

Activity: 272

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 09:49:59 PM

Your not counting the power cost and new PSU that will be added to the cost. What i want to know is how much is it gonna cost, and more importantly when does it go on sale?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:17:28 PM

Your not counting the power cost and new PSU that will be added to the cost. What i want to know is how much is it gonna cost, and more importantly when does it go on sale?

My PSU can handle 2 of these. The cost for me is getting them, which is still unknown.

markodude

Activity: 45

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 10:57:32 PM

Why is stuff always more expensive in Europe, I mean that site showing 900EUR equates to be about $1500 USD

"Hardware Canucks has leared that the price will be between $899 and $999 USD"

The only reason I am thinking they would be any better is that I could effectiively run 4x 7970 in a single rig (most of my boards are 3xPCIe16 double spaced)
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:28:05 PM

Isn't 900 Euro closer to like 1125USD?
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2012, 11:40:54 PM

That PowerColor Devil 13 HD 7990 is not a standard 7990.

It's a higher end hybrid.

I'm sure the ref or standard 7990 will be less than that one  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 02:26:01 AM

3 - 8 pin pcie connectors.  Wow.  It would be better for mining to make a card that can get down to two 8 pin connectors and may run at a lower maximum clock rate with far less room for overclocking.  Of course this is not going to happen now that ASICS and FPGA's are around.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 02:41:13 AM

3 - 8 pin pcie connectors.  Wow.  It would be better for mining to make a card that can get down to two 8 pin connectors and may run at a lower maximum clock rate with far less room for overclocking.  Of course this is not going to happen now that ASICS and FPGA's are around.

They did not build this card with miners in mind specifically. Yes it will mine great, but they built it the way it is for a reason.

iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 03:44:46 AM

I want four of these in quad SLI.  Because Crysis.

*orders dilithium crystals for antimatter PSU*

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
August 26, 2012, 03:47:39 AM

They did not build this card with miners in mind specifically. Yes it will mine great, but they built it the way it is for a reason.

True.  It is a top gaming card and most probably would be faster then a reference card by ATI if one does come soon.

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 04:31:46 AM

1) These (and other previous gual-GPU cards) only have 1 CF connector. Means only 2 cards (4 GPUs) in a system.

2) How were you planning to fit 4 seperate triple-slot cards into any case? You'd need a 11 PCIe motherboard, which they don't make.

Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 06:07:41 AM

1) These (and other previous gual-GPU cards) only have 1 CF connector. Means only 2 cards (4 GPUs) in a system.

2) How were you planning to fit 4 seperate triple-slot cards into any case? You'd need a 11 PCIe motherboard, which they don't make.

Uh,not quadcrossfire,but OCTOcrossfire (2 cores per card=8),if you meant 4 cards   Shocked

Extendo PCIE cables will get them hooked up,but the OS using them all could be a problem  Sad

racerguy

Activity: 270

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 11:21:09 AM

You don't need to make back all the money you pay for the card, just think of it as getting an awesome gaming card for cheap.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 05:27:00 PM

Uh,not quadcrossfire,but OCTOcrossfire (2 cores per card=8),if you meant 4 cards   Shocked

Extendo PCIE cables will get them hooked up,but the OS using them all could be a problem  Sad

Again, you can't do an OCTOcrossfire setup. The cards only physically have 1 CF cable connector!

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 05:33:02 PM

You don't need to make back all the money you pay for the card, just think of it as getting an awesome gaming card for cheap.
+1

ssateneth
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 26, 2012, 08:17:56 PM

Again, you can't do an OCTOcrossfire setup. The cards only physically have 1 CF cable connector!

What about hextuple? 7990 > 7970 > 7970 > 7990

CrazyGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1973
Merit: 1007

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:17:08 AM

I remember when they "revealed" this card back in June and it was called a "7970 X2".
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Powercolor-Radeon-HD-7970-tahiti-dual-Devil13,15939.html

Still can't buy it so I'm not sure what's changed other than the name... Actually, I wonder if AMD gave up on making a reference 7990 with lower power requirements. I suppose the HIS 7970 X2 they revealed in June is also a 7990 now?
http://www.techpowerup.com/167377/HIS-Radeon-HD-7970-X2-IceQ-Graphics-Card-Pictured.html

ASICPuppy.net ASIC Mining Hardware and Accessories - Compac F in stock!
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 06:32:32 AM

If i can't buy it now it doesn't exist.
Pipesnake
Legendary

Activity: 1012

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 08:51:40 PM

Agreed.  This topic is most certainly still active, OP.

██▄                ██        ▄███████▄        ██                  ██      ▄█████████▄ 
 ████              ██      █                  █      ██                  ██      ██                ██
 ██  ▀█            ██    ▄█                  █▄    ██                  ██    ██                  ██
 ██    █▄          ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██    ▀█                     
 ██      █▄        ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██      ██                   
 ██        █▄      ██                                  ██                  ██       ▀████████▄   
 ██          █▄    ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                        ██ 
 ██            █▄  ██    ██                  ██    ██                  ██                          ██
 ██              █▄██    ██                  ██    ▀█                  █▀    ▄▄                  █▀
 ██                ███      █                  █        █                  █      ██                ██ 
 ██                  ▀█        ▀███████▀            ▀███████▀         ▀█████████▀   

Nousplatform Youtube     
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
August 28, 2012, 11:17:09 PM

Agreed.  This topic is most certainly still active, OP.
AGREE!

Activity: 756

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 08:11:53 AM

Drooling in anticipation

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
betatest512

Activity: 140

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:50:35 PM

what will be the MHash of this card..

and how many day's will it take to give back it's ROI?
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 02:52:05 PM

lets put it this way:

it will hash less then twice the hash of a 7970
it will cost more then twice what a 7970 does

do the math

betatest512

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:04:03 PM

lets put it this way:

do the math

the 6990 did 400MH better that the 6970

than how do you expect the 7990 to do worse than the 7970?
jjiimm_64
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:16:29 PM

lets put it this way:

do the math

reread:  it will hash less then twice the hash of a 7970

betatest512

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:48:32 PM

lets put it this way:

do the math

so what is the estimate?

and how many day's will it take to get back the ROI?
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 03:56:49 PM

Estimate? The Devil 13 will have 2 BIOSs, that switch between 925 and 1000MHz. A 7970 at 925MHz does ~550MH/s, and at 1000MHz does ~600MH/s.

This puts the Devil 13 at 1.1GH/s, or 1.2GH/s. You could probably get to 1.3GH/s with an overclock. I doubt you could get to 1.4GH/s.

betatest512

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 04:19:06 PM

Estimate? The Devil 13 will have 2 BIOSs, that switch between 925 and 1000MHz. A 7970 at 925MHz does ~550MH/s, and at 1000MHz does ~600MH/s.

This puts the Devil 13 at 1.1GH/s, or 1.2GH/s. You could probably get to 1.3GH/s with an overclock. I doubt you could get to 1.4GH/s.

if i wait for the 7990 to release and buy one is it a good idea or not?

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 05:41:07 PM

if i wait for the 7990 to release and buy one is it a good idea or not?

nope. buy 5970's right now and don't look back till ASIC

Insu Dra

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 08:36:07 PM

Agreed.  This topic is most certainly still active, OP.
AGREE!

The count down has been over for a while ...

3 Left in Poland, at 1400 usd, I'l just wait a bit more :p
http://www.darmacz.pl/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=999&cPath=3_107_282

nvm me that site was listing the amount they ordered not real stock.

"drugs, guns, and gambling for anyone and everyone!"
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 12, 2012, 10:56:53 PM

Drooling in anticipation

Me too!   Tongue

The countdown to 7990 isn't over until I have my fleet upgraded and see shares accumulating at BTCGuild ~100% faster than before.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
David Chaum 1996
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 11:34:48 PM

lets put it this way:

do the math

so what is the estimate?

and how many day's will it take to get back the ROI?

I'll give it 10years if it doesn't start losing money before that. About 1.5months ago i recommended, do nothing or get a 7970. After seeing how fast the difficulty has risen just from FPGA i'd say wait for an asic. Multiple competitors are coming out with them now so it seems real, and not some BFL scheme. A 7990 is gonna be useless unless your mostly gonna use it for it's intended purposes of not mining. I got a 7970 at the beginning of august, and it was worth getting it then plus i wanted a new gaming card. Get on the asic train if you wanna mine profitably. It should start in 1.5months. Anyways, when is this card gonna be sold?
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 12:11:53 AM

Just came out, and already gone!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131479

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
peasant

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:37:27 AM

Zero interest at that price. It was expected so i'm not surprised.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 03:49:12 AM

Zero interest at that price. It was expected so i'm not surprised.
Considering 2 7970 GHz Editions are ~900, 1000 isn't THAT horrible. That said, I wont be getting one.  Wink

Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 05:28:29 AM

Not to mention how late they came out in the year. I bet they still hold their resell value for quite awhile. Interested in seeing someone watercool one and hash it to the max. Not interested in purchasing one.

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 03:43:35 PM

Well, I guess it's time to close this thread.
And wait for Other companies to make some I myself look forward to seeing if XFX can make one

Jack1Rip1BurnIt

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 08:31:48 PM

Well, I guess it's time to close this thread.
And wait for Other companies to make some I myself look forward to seeing if XFX can make one

XFX 7990 DD would be boss!

goxed (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 25, 2012, 05:01:55 PM

The card is in stock today.

DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 01:23:54 PM

The card is in stock today.

Annnd, they're gone.

Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 02:55:15 PM

I bought one.  Should be arriving on Friday.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 02:59:14 PM

Na, but I got a pair of water cooled 6990's for sale Smiley  Low mileage, driven by a little old lady from Pasadena.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
September 26, 2012, 07:00:32 PM

I work in Pasadena. I know how those little old ladys drive.
Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 26, 2012, 07:10:45 PM

Haha Touche!

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 09:04:36 PM

Haha Touche!

Did your 7990 come? What Mhash are you getting?

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 09:07:45 PM

Yes, and it's still sitting in the box.  I kind of don't want to bother with it if I can't get a water block for it.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep it, since I can't find anyone even committing to making a waterblock.

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 09:08:33 PM

Yes, and it's still sitting in the box.  I kind of don't want to bother with it if I can't get a water block for it.

I'm debating on whether or not to keep it, since I can't find anyone even committing to making a waterblock.

Ah, okay what price would you still it for right now

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
September 29, 2012, 09:10:17 PM

Hmm... probably 90 BTC shipped in the US.

DOH!

Activity: 784
Merit: 108

View Profile WWW
October 01, 2012, 01:31:35 PM

Better sell it before its month or two of being top dog is over Wink I smell 8990s!

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 10:10:26 PM

Better sell it before its month or two of being top dog is over Wink I smell 8990s!

when will the 8XXXs come out?  Should we start a thread, haha

OH gosh will that one be even more anti-climatic release? Smiley

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 01:25:21 AM

I'd think about that price if you provide some hashing results that are favorable

Inaba
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2012, 04:22:01 AM

I haven't mined with it... just took it out of the box to flip off king_pin with then put it back in. 

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:21:47 AM

I haven't mined with it... just took it out of the box to flip off king_pin with then put it back in. 

ok maybe it hashes at 3ghash and you're keeping it a secret

crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:27:02 AM

Or maybe it hashes at 1.1GH/s, like the numbers say it would.

View Profile
October 14, 2012, 05:32:57 AM

Or maybe it hashes at 1.1GH/s, like the numbers say it would.

HAHA i just saw em

fuck me again

bitbatty

Activity: 7

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:13:56 PM

What ever happened to 3dfx anyhow?  Didn't they get absorbed by a larger company somewhere along the way?

yea nVidia bought them out.  I've still got my Voodoo 3500 and it still does a decent job at video capture.  Been thinking of posting it on Ebay or the like to see if anyone would want to have a piece of history.  I'm somewhat of a hoarder though and have the voodoo and a 1GHz Slot A athlon hooked up.  Just don't use them anymore. *sigh* 
BlazinBeaches

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:43:59 AM

does the mobo count this as one card or two?  meaning could you put 6 or 7 of these on a mobo or no?

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:47:24 AM

does the mobo count this as one card or two?  meaning could you put 6 or 7 of these on a mobo or no?

don't know what you're asking. I've heard software can handle 7 or 8 cores. so 4 of the 7990's should run

$1,000 each:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709&IsNodeId=1&Description=7990&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

BlazinBeaches

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:52:05 AM

Right, but using riser cables could you physically put 7x 7990s on a single motherboard and would it allow it.  If so would the OS see 7 cards or 14 cards
greaterninja

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:07:02 AM

Right, but using riser cables could you physically put 7x 7990s on a single motherboard and would it allow it.  If so would the OS see 7 cards or 14 cards

in theory the os would see 14 x 7900 cards.

will it show this many is to be determined.

I see it a issue going past 6x 7990.

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:51:34 AM

in theory the os would see 14 x 7900 cards.

will it show this many is to be determined.

I see it a issue going past 6x 7990.

thats 3 cards. there's issues going past 6 cores

IBCBen

Activity: 12

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 04:23:46 AM

And not to mention $1k for 1ghs per card. Worth getting @ 400-500 yes. $1k? No.
greaterninja

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:04:19 AM

you gotta think of it from a business perspective...

mine on it for a few months...sell the games, then sell the card after u get a few btc.
josiasrdz

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:56:23 AM

you gotta think of it from a business perspective...

mine on it for a few months...sell the games, then sell the card after u get a few btc.
the 7950 is a better value at $300 600+ mhs and you can resell the 4 games

17yN2CQsYGBd3jEcNcWQDua4sViVP7YmC1
BlazinBeaches

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:54:07 PM

obviously.  we are talking theoretically.

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:52:33 AM

obviously.  we are talking theoretically.

but we should consider resale value as well

Charles999

Activity: 224

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 11:56:49 PM

I didn't get any games with my 7990 sapphires.. Sad
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: