Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:15:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [AVL NOW] Countdown to radeon 7990  (Read 11319 times)
goxed (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 11:20:12 AM
Last edit: September 22, 2012, 06:20:02 AM by goxed

Available for Sale @ Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131479

It's launched guys!

http://www.techpowerup.com/171009/PowerColor-Devil-13-HD-7990-Revealed.html

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2012/07/30/amd-hd-7990-leak/1

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 12:46:41 PM

Good god,  4x 6pin power plugs!?!?  What a power hog this is gonna be.  Roll Eyes

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:12:24 PM

Good god,  4x 6pin power plugs!?!?  What a power hog this is gonna be.  Roll Eyes

Huh?

Most normal dual GPU cards feature a 2x8 pin power connector arrangement for input of 150 W each (official, they handle more)

This card has 4x6 pin power connector for input of 75W each (official, they handle more). Notice the math there?

The difference is in how it allows handling of incoming power, the power circuitry is unique to this card. These four 6-pin connectors give the card a multiphase power regulation, which is divided into three groups.

So to say it's a power hog based on it's connector style is wrong.

It will undoubtedly be more power hungry than a 690 from the green team, but it will also be faster. This has nothing to do with how many power plugs featured.
50BTC.com

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

PPS pool

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:03:33 PM

Wondering, would mining on it profitable at release date?

50btc.com - PPS pool, instant payout (Visa, Liberty Reserve, QIWI, Yandex.Money, WebMoney,...), API, fast and responsible support, pay for stale shares.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:35:32 PM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:37:45 PM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry
Quite so. I can't figure it out, it seems to me that the most logical thing would be 2x 8-pin: 150w each, = 300 watts total, whereas 3x 6-pin: 75w each, = 225 watts total. Huh

Do the PCIe bridge chip and the memory really need as much power as both the GPUs combined? Huh

EDIT: Derp, 4x 6-pins, not 3. Still it works out to the same wattage as 2x 8-pins.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 12:55:31 AM

I have been waiting for these things since march...  i have SeaSonics and mobo ready...  but to waste 4 of my precious gpu power connectors on one card... NO THANKS.     i hate molex connectors.

bummer.......   Angry
Quite so. I can't figure it out, it seems to me that the most logical thing would be 2x 8-pin: 150w each, = 300 watts total, whereas 3x 6-pin: 75w each, = 225 watts total. Huh

Do the PCIe bridge chip and the memory really need as much power as both the GPUs combined? Huh

EDIT: Derp, 4x 6-pins, not 3. Still it works out to the same wattage as 2x 8-pins.

The PCIe bridge chip should use barely any power. The RAM should not use anywhere near the GPU's lol.... that would be madness

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:02:43 AM

bummer.......   Angry

The PCIe bridge chip should use barely any power. The RAM should not use anywhere near the GPU's lol.... that would be madness
Exactly. And yet, some are postulating that the necessity of 4 connectors is to provide better power or something, and that some of them would be dedicated to the RAM and others to the GPUs. Madness.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 01:22:38 AM

Maybe has an 8-phase PSU.
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:08:41 AM

It's a three group multiphase power regulation...

Not for MORE power, for better power, these chips will clock like crazy. The voltage input on these chips will be very stable.

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:22:41 AM

Not for MORE power, for better power, these chips will clock like crazy. The voltage input on these chips will be very stable.

still, dont think it will be worth 4 pci cables...  im not even sure win7 will load 4 of these monsters

16pci plugs..what a clusterfuk

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Coinoisseur

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:05:37 AM

+1

"Damn you AMD you designed it to be MORE stable for overclocking but now I have to use these 8 pin to 2x6 pin adapters, YOU BASTARDS!"

╓▄▌██P                  
                                                 ╔▄▌███▀███▌                   
                                           ▄▄▌██▀▀╚  ╓██╩██                    
                                     ▄▄███▀▀╙      ▄██  ▓█                     
                               ▄▌███▀▀+          ▄█▀   ▐█                      
                        ,▄▌███▀▀¬              ▓█▀     █▄                      
                  ,▄▌███▀▀                  ,██▀      █▌                       
               '█████▌▄▄,                 ╓██╩       ██                        
                  ▀██▌▐▀▀▀█████▌▌▄▄╓    ▄██¬        ▄█                         
                     ▀██▄        ╚▀▀▀████          ▐█═                         
                        ▀██▄        ▓█▀██          █▀                          
                           ▀██▄  ,██▀   █µ        ██                           
                              ▀███Z     ██       ██                            
                                ▐██     ▐█      ▄█                             
                              ,,╓╓█▓▄▌   █▌    ▐█U                             
                        º▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓███   ▀█    █▌                              
                          ▀█▓▓▓▓▓████▀█▌  █▌  ██                               
                            ▀███████▌  ▀█µ▀█ ██                                
                              ▀█████     ███▓█                                 
                                ▐███      ▀██Ñ                                 
                                            ▀                             

Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 11:49:42 AM

Wouldn't it be better if they stopped worrying so much about overclockability and all the caveats that entails and just made a fast card out of the box?

Maybe even make it run off of two 8pin cables, that would be so cool. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 02:56:21 PM

yeah, it'll finally beat the 5970 in gaming performance
Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 03:00:22 PM

Doesn't powercolor's card have 3x8-pin PCI-e?

You could run 3 of those off an enermax platimax without any additional connectors... would be good for something like 3.7Ghash.
Ilikeham

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 02:27:40 AM

Wouldn't it be better if they stopped worrying so much about overclockability and all the caveats that entails and just made a fast card out of the box?

Maybe even make it run off of two 8pin cables, that would be so cool. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

It is a fast card out of the box...

Here's the "thing". In order to comply to the PCI-e official specifications, the card has to remain within a 300W (or less) power envelope out of the box. So when you take it out of the box and plug it in it's fast, but only 300W (or less) worth of fast. That means if Joseph Ding Dong with his shiny whitebox home built PC and FANCY Diablotek 650 W Firestarter (err I mean power supply) plugs in this card, it might actually work without blowing up in flames. Might (It's a diablotek after all) Conforming to the PCI-e spec means these things can be certified for use in OEM machines like Dell and HP etc...

Now Jo Over Clocker with his 80 plus Gold rated 1500W monster plugs in two of these beasts and decides to feed them every watt they can handle to the tune of 450+ watts a piece and squeeze every single pixel out of them... well the cards are wired up for that too... beyond the PCi-e spec.

A lot of big PSU's have multiple rails and it's nice to be able balance something like this across them.

tl dr: the card is made for gamers and gamers rigs we are a secondary market only.
Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:04:39 AM

I guess my sarcastic point was that for the costs associated and the grief in engineering they should have just made a more 'normal' dual gpu card and be damned about all the extra bells and whistles for super overclockers as they hold even less market share than miners do.

Ilikeham

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:09:14 PM

I guess my sarcastic point was that for the costs associated and the grief in engineering they should have just made a more 'normal' dual gpu card and be damned about all the extra bells and whistles for super overclockers as they hold even less market share than miners do.

That's an interesting point. These particular cards are the top of the line extreme items and will carry hefty price tags. This kind of mark up demands superior engineering.

IF board partners (like Powercolor or Sapphire etc) wanted to make 7870x2 , 7950x2 or even simpler 7970x2 etc... then they COULD. It's entirely within their scope and they'd do it if there was a market that they could latch onto. I'd say by the absence of such products, there is little market that they feel they could capture outside of the existing product lines.

The assertion that more people mine than overclock doesn't ring true with me in any case. The big forums like H and Xtremesystems and so on definitely add up to more enthusiasts than BTC miners.

So a nice dual card that undervolts and is easy to manage could be aimed squarely at the miners, but I think dedicated mining hardware from places like BFL is showing that this particular ship has sailed.

Cablez
Legendary

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 05:42:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not asserting that there are more miners than 'general' overclockers, but I am saying that there are probably more miners than 'super' overclockers that know what multiphase power is going to get them and how best to turn that into a competitive advantage for the benchmarks. (as I don't think they actually play games like that)

Your general enthusiast will probably OC their card a bit for better framerates and some e-peen but they will probably not be able to fully utilize these new multiphase power setups to their upmost as 1) they don't care and 2) they are not going to mod their card aside from maybe a water block.

I fall into this 'general' overclocker family as I will OC my card(s) for better framerates but I will probably not utilize "three group multiphase power regulation" to its fullest ever. I am sure I will not want to deal with the extra heat and noise that OCing my card to the roof will avail me. Most games its diminishing returns anyway.

muqali

Activity: 182

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:45:45 AM

Don't get me wrong, I am not asserting that there are more miners than 'general' overclockers, but I am saying that there are probably more miners than 'super' overclockers that know what multiphase power is going to get them and how best to turn that into a competitive advantage for the benchmarks. (as I don't think they actually play games like that)

Your general enthusiast will probably OC their card a bit for better framerates and some e-peen but they will probably not be able to fully utilize these new multiphase power setups to their upmost as 1) they don't care and 2) they are not going to mod their card aside from maybe a water block.

I fall into this 'general' overclocker family as I will OC my card(s) for better framerates but I will probably not utilize "three group multiphase power regulation" to its fullest ever. I am sure I will not want to deal with the extra heat and noise that OCing my card to the roof will avail me. Most games its diminishing returns anyway.

The heat is a boon in the winter, considering most "portable space heaters" run around 1500 watts, a PC can easily replace one in a cold room.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: