Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:18:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "All cryptography is breakable" criticism  (Read 7551 times)
caveden (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:28:34 PM

I've recently been challenged with this "criticism", "all cryptography is breakable, it's just a matter of time", and thus concluding that bitcoin is not safe.

I'm pretty confident that the odds of a fatal flaw in algorithms so established like ECDSA or SHA-256 are so tiny that we should not even bother.
I wonder though if somebody here has some data that could help me hold such claim.

For example, what was the worst case of "broken cryptographic algorithm"? By "worst" I mean which took the longest to happen and/or affected the largest number of people who were already trusting the algorithm.
Has any fatal flaw ever been found in an algorithm as old (at the time the flaw was discovered, of course) as ECDSA for example? It's a bit clear to me that the longer an algorithm resists to professional scrutiny, the less likely it is to have a flaw. But having some numbers would probably help.

Thanks!
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 01:35:02 PM

Well SHA256 is not provably secure. But besides that a brute force attack on it is not versatile.

A provably secure hashing algorithm just has the advantage that it is as difficult to break as solving some hard mathematical problem. That does not mean that SHA256 is inferior to provably secure methods but it could be.
But then again the strongest rebuttal of the argument is that if SHA256 were to be broken the stakes for the current world are much higher than just bitcoin...
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:35:09 PM

I've recently been challenged with this "criticism", "all cryptography is breakable, it's just a matter of time", and thus concluding that bitcoin is not safe.

I'm pretty confident that the odds of a fatal flaw in algorithms so established like ECDSA or SHA-256 are so tiny that we should not even bother.
I wonder though if somebody here has some data that could help me hold such claim.

For example, what was the worst case of "broken cryptographic algorithm"? By "worst" I mean which took the longest to happen and/or affected the largest number of people who were already trusting the algorithm.
Has any fatal flaw ever been found in an algorithm as old (at the time the flaw was discovered, of course) as ECDSA for example? It's a bit clear to me that the longer an algorithm resists to professional scrutiny, the less likely it is to have a flaw. But having some numbers would probably help.

Thanks!

if bitcoin is not "safe" because nothing is safe... then bitcoin is as safe as anything else, lol

also there are 2^160 or 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 possible addresses IIRC so brute force is gone as the "matter of time" argument

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
caveden (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:41:12 PM

if bitcoin is not "safe" because nothing is safe... then bitcoin is as safe as anything else, lol

The person in question was probably implying that cryptography is not safe (not "everything"), and that we should therefore not trust any significant amount of money in it.

also there are 2^160 or 1461501637330902918203684832716283019655932542976 possible addresses IIRC so brute force is gone as the "matter of time" argument

It's not about brute forcing I'm talking about, that's obviously out of the question.
I'm talking about a potential flaw in the algorithm, like that WEP one.
damnek

Activity: 614

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:47:26 PM

A fairly well-known cryptosystem that got broken that comes to my mind is the Merkle-Hellman knapsack cryptosystem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle%E2%80%93Hellman_knapsack_cryptosystem
It was supposedly based on a "hard" problem, namely the knapsack packing problem, but it turned out that the sampling of random instances used for the knapsack crypto system does not yield an average-case hard problem (which is necessary for crypto).
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 01:52:07 PM

Yes there could be a flaw in the SHA-256 algorithm that we don't know about. See my ramblings above...

A fairly well-known cryptosystem that got broken that comes to my mind is the Merkle-Hellman knapsack cryptosystem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkle%E2%80%93Hellman_knapsack_cryptosystem
It was supposedly based on a "hard" problem, namely the knapsack packing problem, but it turned out that the sampling of random instances used for the knapsack crypto system does not yield an average-case hard problem (which is necessary for crypto).

That was just broken because it actually implemented an easier subset of the problem. Real provably secure methods are not breakable.
caveden (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:53:51 PM

Thanks damnek.

So that one lasted 6 years, apparently. The wikipedia page doesn't say much about how widely used it was, but since we are talking about early 80s, I imagine it wasn't that much used.

So, "auction" started. Any bids higher than 6 years? Smiley
caveden (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:55:16 PM

Yes there could be a flaw in the SHA-256 algorithm that we don't know about.

Yeah, and the world could also really end this year, but come on... what are the odds?

Do you know of any algorithm nearly as old and widely used as SHA-256 or ECDSA that have ever been broken?
DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:56:43 PM

Cryptography relies on the mathematical conjecture P!=NP.

We can solve P in polynomial time (n^2) and can solve NP in exp time (2^n). (I am simplying a lot but thats basically it.)

As long as P!=NP breaking something as small as a 30 item input is basically impossible (just compare the size of 2^30 with 30^2)

Lets just say there has not been the tiniest hint that P might be equal to NP after decades of research, and most of the computers scientists think this is impossible.

This is also related to the existence of "one way function" and this conjecture has hold for a loooooong time

Edit : but yes the average case must be hard as well, not just the worst

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2012, 01:57:37 PM

Yes there could be a flaw in the SHA-256 algorithm that we don't know about.

Yeah, and the world could also really end this year, but come on... what are the odds?

Do you know of any algorithm nearly as old and widely used as SHA-256 or ECDSA that have ever been broken?
no

But I have some affinity for Conspiracy Theories, who knows what the NSA is hiding Wink
rjk

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 01:58:55 PM

Even MD5 was broken, and it was used for the SSL CA system for a while. So it's true that vulnerabilities can be found later. The thing is, Bitcoin uses more than one form of cryptography: SHA256, RIPEMD-160, and ECDSA.

Breaking SHA256 would be pretty monumental, but it wouldn't allow you to spend peoples' coins for them. To do that, you would need to break ECDSA, which is comparatively new.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
caveden (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:10:17 PM

Rjk, about MD5, how "broken" was it? I realized it became fairly easier to crack it, but it still needed a considerable effort in calculations. If a serious flaw is found in any of bitcoin's algorithms, but we have time to change the algorithm in use, that's still not that catastrophic.
Still on MD5, according to wikipedia, it took only 5 years from MD5 birth (1991) for a considerable flaw to be found. From that point on its usage was already questionable. 9 years later a more serious flaw. Only in late 2008 its obituary was finally published. So, it didn't happen "all of the sudden". If anything comparable were to happen with SHA-256, we should have time to adapt.

DarkEmi, I believe we can safely rule out the possibility of someone proving P==NP. Wink If that ever happens, bitcoin is the least of our problems.
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:10:56 PM

You also need to take a broken implementation into account.  That is probably more likely than cracking ECDSA, barring construction of non-trivial quantum computers.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/12/ps3-hacked-through-poor-implementation-of-cryptography/

https://www.us-cert.gov/cas/techalerts/TA08-137A.html

http://www.prng.net/faq/netscape-ssl/
caveden (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:14:12 PM

You also need to take a broken implementation into account.  That is probably more likely than cracking ECDSA

Good point.
How "trustworthy" is bitcoind implementation of ECDSA and SHA-256? I suppose Satoshi didn't implement it himself, did he? How long have the libraries used being available?
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:16:51 PM

In re: MD5 - These guys proved it to be not collision resistant: http://merlot.usc.edu/csac-f06/papers/Wang05a.pdf
Also see the wikipedia article on it.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
DarkEmi

Activity: 223
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:19:55 PM

DarkEmi, I believe we can safely rule out the possibility of someone proving P==NP. Wink If that ever happens, bitcoin is the least of our problems.

Then that means that all potential "vulnerabilities" of cryptography are just bad implementations Wink

ProProfi.com
The first home improvement service cryptocurrency project
ICO | Discuss on Forum
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:05:36 PM

If Bitcoin survive 51% attack from a guy with a lot of FPGAs/ASICs, it will definitely die when USA government set a quantum computer on it. Even if SHA-256 has no weaknesses, such computer could easily increase Bitcoin difficulty to unreachable for the others level. Play with ur bitcoins until u can...
Mike Jones

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:09:19 PM

If Bitcoin survive 51% attack from a guy with a lot of FPGAs/ASICs, it will definitely die when USA government set a quantum computer on it. Even if SHA-256 has no weaknesses, such computer could easily increase Bitcoin difficulty to unreachable for the others level. Play with ur bitcoins until u can...
After serving for too long in Airforce R&D, all I can tell you is that if the US government made a quantum computer, it wouldn't run for more than a week.

Everything is sub-contracted out to private contractors nowadays. I don't recall any capable of making a quantum computer.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:10:13 PM

Please cite actual mathematics to make this possible, and proof that such a computer exists and can out-perform what we have now.

Hint: It's not possible with current technology, go read some earlier threads in relation to Quantum computing.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 03:15:20 PM

Please cite actual mathematics to make this possible, and proof that such a computer exists and can out-perform what we have now.

Hint: It's not possible with current technology, go read some earlier threads in relation to Quantum computing.

A month ago I read an article about breakthrough in quantum computing made by a Russian scientist working in the USA. The article was in russian, it will take some time to find english edition.

EDIT: Found it - http://big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/news.xinhuanet.com/english/sci/2012-07/04/c_131694826.htm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: