Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:16:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Bitcoin using a FREE Windows OS!  (Read 18942 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 08:57:03 PM

Wouldn't running a miner on a VM only slow things down? Why not run a bare-metal always-free Linux miner?

You can use the "first instance" of the Hyper-V-Server, no VMs needed.

-

Is it right, that Server2k8 has the same 4 GPU limit like Win7?
My GPUs aren't delivered jet.

This is exactly why I asked if he is running it on the hyper-v OS (essentially the hypervisor software is an OS) but it comes without a gui, if that is the case this thread doesnt make sense, people could just use a linux based miner from the get-go.

From my understand this thread would make sense if he somehow figured out a legal free windows OS on hyper-v, that part I dont get from this thread.
What if people PREFER to use Windows instead of linux?
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:22:22 PM

Why would they? GPGPU stuff with ATI is just more troublesome on windows as compared to linux.
m4rkiz

Activity: 170
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:28:23 PM

i have like 19 years of experience with windows (everything since 3.11), and barely know the basics of linux, guess what i choose for new miner when every day of setup means less btc and more difficulty

i don't care if linux is free if i can have it my way for less than i would loose due to any downtime of system that i know nothing about

as simple as that

i may use bootable ubuntu or knoppix for some hw diagnostics, or on my laptop or some distribution for my nas pc, but why should i experiment with it when i.e. it is 2 days until difficulty goes from 240k to 420k ?
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:35:34 PM

Why would they? GPGPU stuff with ATI is just more troublesome on windows as compared to linux.
I missed that this was a gui-less Windows.  Still more convenient than linux for me, since I know most of the Windows command-line commands, but I'd rather not deal with a command line at all.

Vista Business OEM it is!
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:42:41 PM

Eheh, well good luck Smiley
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:54:51 PM

It's fine if you "prefer" Windows. More bitcoins for the rest of us! Cheesy

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 09:57:04 PM

Good.  Wink

I just hate it when people say, "just use linux" as an answer to, well, everything.  I don't WANT to use linux, so stop telling me to use it!  Lol...
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:03:04 PM

Good.  Wink

I just hate it when people say, "just use linux" as an answer to, well, everything.  I don't WANT to use linux, so stop telling me to use it!  Lol...

It's a free world. (Or it will be soon!) You want to use Windows, I'm not going to complain. Sure, you SHOULD use Linux, but if you don't want to, you get to suffer the consequences. Smiley

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:22:07 PM

This is getting way to sidetracked from OP.

Lets stick to the basic, this is guiless so its not essentially WINDOWS anymore, so again I do not understand the point of the OP mentioning FREE and WINDOWS OS.

I would just like to understand why the naming scheme were used.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 10:58:02 PM

Lets stick to the basic, this is guiless so its not essentially WINDOWS anymore, so again I do not understand the point of the OP mentioning FREE and WINDOWS OS.

It would definitely add some clarification if the title was updated to "...FREE gui-less Windows OS!"
0815miner

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 11:23:43 PM

If you like the windows GUI it's easy to use the win7 test version for 90 days...
Perhaps in this time the mining days are over!  Huh
ivkowalenko

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 11:28:32 PM

Not necessarily. GUI-less Windows is still Windows if it's running the Windows kernel. It's like saying if you run Mac OS X with the GUI turned off you're not using Mac OS X. In reality, you're still using Mac OS X, you still need a legal license to run Mac OS X, and you're still bound by the restrictions of that license (I.E. - It's only supposed to run on Apple hardware). Just because someone strips out the signature element of an item doesn't rob that item of its essence. Yes, a GUI-less Mac OS X is basically Darwin (a FreeBSD derivative), but you're still using OS X frameworks, daemons and kernel-level software (like launchd, OS X's equivalent to cron; backupd, better known as Time Machine; and Grand Central Dispatch, their multi-core and 64-bit optimization routines) that has been compiled by engineers in Cupertino. This analogy can be said about Windows. Just because the Windows GUI is up, doesn't mean that the code doesn't come from Microsoft and that it doesn't use copyrighted code that you require a license to use.

People bring up free operating systems, like Linux (though I haven't heard anyone mention using BSD, Contiki, or Haiku, to name a few other free OSes), because it seems like a safer (legally speaking) alternative to pirating an operating system. Also it seems, from comments here, that Linux is a more efficient environment for running mining software (given personal experience, this would likely be true, but this is all anecdotal), making one question why you would go to so much effort to steal an operating system, and risk prosecution under the law for stealing and using said operating system, when there is a free alternative that is technically superior in every way (again, anecdotal).

Now, just because I said all this, don't go thinking that I'm trying to foist Linux on everyone in here. I use a Mac, and run Mac OS X. Given all the junk I run on it, it's a sub-optimal part-time mining rig that struggles to maintain 4 megahashes per second. It's certainly less efficient than running Linux on the machine either (trust me, I've compared the two). But I use OS X for certain reasons, namely Final Cut Pro and Motion. Of course, were I to run a dedicated mining rig, it'd be Linux, so I can understand both sides of the argument.

P.S. - Also, I'm pretty sure it's prohibited to encourage unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material. Hence why everyone is in such a huff trying to figure out what on earth is happening with Hyper-V, and is confused over the promise in the subject line of a "Free Windows OS!"
Tukotih

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 12:53:18 PM

Like I said Basiley, I'm not a fan of linux.
Even if you are not. You have all the reason to become one.
If you don't have the time to grow knowledge about the OSthen I fully understand; but if not you are making a big mistake.

Donations always appreciated: 1GkRu9rZxk5iMRzsrcZxZ3BUHV1SWNZ9RB
IMPORTANT! Switch from deepbit: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=8653.0
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 03:40:35 PM

Like I said Basiley, I'm not a fan of linux.
Even if you are not. You have all the reason to become one.
If you don't have the time to grow knowledge about the OSthen I fully understand; but if not you are making a big mistake.
Fair enough.  With a wife and 6 month old daughter, and a full time job, time is limited.  I really would like to fully understand linux someday, but right now, I really don't have the time.
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 03:45:59 PM

Good.  Wink

It's a free world. (Or it will be soon!) You want to use Windows, I'm not going to complain. Sure, you SHOULD use Linux, but if you don't want to, you get to suffer the consequences. Smiley
correct !!
anyone will PAY for their crimes against Linux !!!
mwhahahahaahaahaaha !![Evil laugh]
DavinciJ15 (OP)

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 05:54:08 PM

Wouldn't running a miner on a VM only slow things down? Why not run a bare-metal always-free Linux miner?
You are not running Bitcoin miner on a VM.

You are running it on the free OS called Hyper-V.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 05:58:43 PM

ROFL. You ppl are funny. OP is trying to help, and for those who are more used to and comfy with windows vs. linux this is probably a good thing. When  I get home later tonight I'll d/l this and put it on one of my rigs to see. I like the idea of windows from usb, and personally would rather use that than say linuxcoin (which I have and have played around with some).

Now if you really want a full windows os to mine with, simply go d/l whatever flavor of windows 7 you want, install it, and don't activate. Use the 'slgmgr -rearm' trick a few times and then after those expire and windows tells you that it isnt genuine anymore....KEEP MINING! I can personally attest to windows 7 ultimate x64 works just fine for mining after it decides it is not genuine. Also, it is powered by a little atom board and 2gb of memory, and works just fine for mining and for a NAS Wink

Yes, but you are not legit, with the cops raiding people for bitcoin mining (thinking its a grow op) you don't need to have pirated software on your computers.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 06:03:03 PM

You can use the "first instance" of the Hyper-V-Server, no VMs needed.

-

Is it right, that Server2k8 has the same 4 GPU limit like Win7?
My GPUs aren't delivered jet.

This is exactly why I asked if he is running it on the hyper-v OS (essentially the hypervisor software is an OS) but it comes without a gui, if that is the case this thread doesnt make sense, people could just use a linux based miner from the get-go.

From my understand this thread would make sense if he somehow figured out a legal free windows OS on hyper-v, that part I dont get from this thread.

Those that want to leverage their Windows knowledge so they can do things they would other wise have to look up on linux or ask for help.
Sure I could of used linux but I did not want to learn a new OS.
Also I installed LogMeIn software so I can control them remotely, this is better than remote desktop that shuts down the GPUs.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 06:10:09 PM

Good.  Wink

Home Land Security!  I feel very insecure with you around please go away. Grin
LOL not you personally but the department!

Linux is fine but it's all about leverage I wanted to be up and running fast and I did not want to learn a new OS.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 06:12:16 PM

It's not 100% qui-less windows you can still write gui based apps for it.  The access to the settings and configurations are limited compared to full version of windows.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: