Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:25:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining Bitcoin using a FREE Windows OS!  (Read 18942 times)
DavinciJ15 (OP)

Activity: 780
Merit: 510

Bitcoin - helping to end bankster enslavement.

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 06:17:39 PM

Like I said Basiley, I'm not a fan of linux.
Even if you are not. You have all the reason to become one.
If you don't have the time to grow knowledge about the OSthen I fully understand; but if not you are making a big mistake.
WE Have 2 days before the difficulty doubles so tell me how do I learn linux in 2 days and be a pro at it? Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
keybaud

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:17:55 PM

Still yet to find a legitimate way of using 'leverage' that can't be replaced with 'use'.

"Use your Windows knowledge" vs "leverage your windows knowledge".

Sorry, my pet hate is excessive use of made-up words.
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 06:19:01 PM

Ok lets get something right, Hyper-v is not refered to as an OS, its refered to as either a.) OS-based hypervisor (if you run on windows 2008) or b.) baremetal hypervisor.

Refering to Hyper-v as an OS is just wrong in so many ways.

Can you inform us all how you intend to mine from cli and with which miner?

If you don't have the time to grow knowledge about the OSthen I fully understand; but if not you are making a big mistake.
WE Have 2 days before the difficulty doubles so tell me how do I learn linux in 2 days and be a pro at it? Roll Eyes

Look at linuxcoin iso in this forum, install on usb or on harddrive, which is cheaper/prefered.

All the instructions to get mining is in the OP for linuxcoin, if you could figure out hyper-v base server then this should be a breeze.

Remember you want to run miners, you only need to know up how to run the mining software, rest of the linux geekstuff doesnt have to be used in case of mining so no serious learning curve of geekdom.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
DarkKnightNomeD

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:03:53 PM

im downloading the hyper v torrent, ill probably seed for a week or 2 at 30KBS 40KBS when i can
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:39:59 PM

Home Land Security!  I feel very insecure with you around please go away. Grin
LOL not you personally but the department!

Look more closely. Grin

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 12:14:05 PM

Ok lets get something right, Hyper-v is not refered to as an OS, its refered to as either a.) OS-based hypervisor (if you run on windows 2008) or b.) baremetal hypervisor.

Refering to Hyper-v as an OS is just wrong in so many ways.

Can you inform us all how you intend to mine from cli and with which miner?

Look at linuxcoin iso in this forum, install on usb or on harddrive, which is cheaper/prefered.

All the instructions to get mining is in the OP for linuxcoin, if you could figure out hyper-v base server then this should be a breeze.

Remember you want to run miners, you only need to know up how to run the mining software, rest of the linux geekstuff doesnt have to be used in case of mining so no serious learning curve of geekdom.

The Linux crowd reminds me of the Mac Crowd, getting angry and snotty does not make me want to jump ship.  What would help is showing how easy in a video or tutorial.

Instead you want to act all smart like saying it's not an OS.  Shocking statement since it has everything I need to run windows programs.  I wonder if you consider any phone has an OS since they only run apps written for the phone.  LOL  Grin 

Don't get all miffy just having fun.   Wink

Look I'm not married to Windows I wanted to leverage my development skills and knowledge that's all.

Don't take it personal.

Davinci
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 12:15:15 PM

Home Land Security!  I feel very insecure with you around please go away. Grin
LOL not you personally but the department!

Look more closely. Grin
I guess I should have read it.  LOL cute.
ivkowalenko

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 07:30:13 PM

The Linux crowd reminds me of the Mac Crowd, getting angry and snotty does not make me want to jump ship.  What would help is showing how easy in a video or tutorial.
Well, in this case, LinuxCoin is pretty easy to use, since all you have to do is boot it and run the miner. It's the same basic command line syntax used with Windows (save for ./ for invoking executables in the folder directory currently open).

There's a lot of tutorials on how to use Linux out there, and a good one to tinker with is Ubuntu. If you want something far more customizable, check out Debian. Of course, there are a thousand flavors to try, but those two happen to be my favorite.

If you need help anywhere along the way, consult the man pages. It's a simple software manual that is typically called by entering
Code:
man (command or program name here)
Use the / key to search (hitting / then enter again will pull up the next result). -h and --help usually are good for quick references, but lack the more in-depth explanations a man page can provide. For everything else, Google.

I'm not trying to foist Linux upon you, just trying to answer your question. Like I said earlier: I'm not running a Linux machine, and I have my reasons for not using Linux. However, you asked for a basic tutorial, and that's what I'm giving you. Helped me figure out Mandrake and Debian in high school, before we had all these user-friendly(er) distros and YouTube tutorials.

P.S. - Also, Ctrl+Alt+(1-6) will bring up one of six terminal screens. 7 and above are typically reserved for X Window sessions (hence, Ctrl+Alt+7 will typically bring you back to a GUI). This will be useful if you ever run into a problem where something causes X Windows to stop responding. Just pop over to a terminal, figure out what's going on using top, and kill -9 that PID. Or just kill X Windows and watch it load up again.

Just offering advice, not trying to ram anything down your throat.
DavinciJ15 (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2011, 02:07:23 AM
Last edit: May 27, 2011, 02:35:00 AM by DavinciJ15

Just offering advice, not trying to ram anything down your throat.

I get it, thanks, but here is the issue lets say I want to do something cool like I don't know reprogram something to work they way I want it to.  Take for example the sconfig.vbs script, for me it was a snap to reprogram it without looking shit up.  Right now I have many options in windows that I know from experience, with linux I would have to learn a new language and I could hit pitfalls I already been through in windows.  

To me it's not a "I support WinBlowz" kind of thing, it's what makes economic sense.

Oh no I didn't just DIS Windows?  Oh yes I did.

LOL Grin

Davinci
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 11:08:50 AM

I downloaded this thing and put it on USB.  had some minor problems at first, like no network detected.

Also, the batch menu is not user friendly.  It asks for "device?" and I put some string like "XFX Radeon HD 6870" but now I realize it was asking for "0" or "1" etc.

Same thing goes for "pool url" I put "btcguild.com" but of course, it's "<server>.btcguild.com"

I exited the menu, and there is no way to run the menu up again.  Taskmanger works, so I was able to run CMD and finally see the miner1.bat file. There is no dos-based (or GUI based) text editor, so I had to use the ole "Copy Con" route.  Sigh.

But, Xanderdee, I mean Davinci, did say in the video it was difficult at first.  I had to draw on my old DOS 5.22 days, and even I think this HyperV is a new language, lol.  Man, i didn't realize how much I depended on GUI.

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:39:47 PM

why bother with hyper-v, just run an un-activated win7, completely legal and fully functional for mining purpose.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 03:56:54 PM

Really cannot see the point in this.

Just use Linux. No need for dummy VGA plugs and also no 4 GPU limit !

11.6 drivers increase GPU limit.  there's no 4 GPU limit anymore.
CanaryInTheMine
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060

between a rock and a block!

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:18:09 PM

DavinciJ15,

- which sdk version is included? 

- what version are the drivers?  11.6 by any chance?

- which miner/s does it allow/include?

- is MSI Afterburner supported? if not, how do I overclock and set the fan speed?

Thanks!
Mousepotato

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 06:08:22 PM

I wish I had known about this before.  I just spent $29.95 (student discount) on Win7 Pro 64.  Oh well.

Mousepotato
PandaMiner

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 12:22:32 AM

- what version are the drivers?  11.6 by any chance?
- which miner/s does it allow/include?
- is MSI Afterburner supported? if not, how do I overclock and set the fan speed?

from what I remember of the /software/ folder:

11.2 and 11.4
polcbm command line for miners
Full GUI afterburner runs on this

❘|❘ NEUFUND Re-Imagine ICOs | Connect off- and on-chain with equity tokens | Enjoy risk-free commitment
JOIN THE ICBM | JOIN THE DISCUSSION
Bitcoin Swami

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 03:09:05 AM

Hey Davinci glad to see you here, you been taking a beating on your silver channel ever since you started talking about bitcoins. lol. 

If you want to learn linux, just start with linuxcoin at first.  I didn't know crap about linux 3 days ago.. with linuxcoin i was up and mining in minutes, straight from a usb drive with no need for a hard drive. 

I realize that linuxcoin is mining for dummies kinda but its a good start and I'm learning more about linux.  I like it.  Hopefully i dont turn into a snob.
Anonymous

June 24, 2011, 03:43:54 AM

Thanks for all the bitcoin videos davinci  Smiley
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:40:33 AM

Good question, I'd also like to know this.

Edit: Whoops, already answered:

from what I remember of the /software/ folder:

Full GUI afterburner runs on this

Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 09:58:36 AM

davinci havnt replied in a while, think he is still busy learning linux Wink

Shocked

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 10:17:18 AM

Just so you guys know, this will only work with x64 compatible processors with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled.

No 32-bit option here for anybody running an Intel Atom netbook with a ViDock setup (in otherwords myself, and nobody else that I know of!)

To be specific, this won't work on any Atom processor, because current Atom processors either don't support x64, or don't support VT-x.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: