Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:32:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Scala implementation anyone?  (Read 9227 times)
chaord (OP)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 02, 2010, 12:11:32 AM

So, I have been following the scala language http://www.scala-lang.org off and on for about a year or so.  Additionally, I have been very impressed with the scala web framework, liftweb http://www.liftweb.net   I've been looking for an excuse to start up a project comprised of scala, bitcoin, liftweb.  Has anyone attempted to do this by chance? Also, would anyone be interested in working on this with me?  I'm open to many different business models, including but not limited to:
  • a mybitcoin knock-off
  • another mt gox
  • a web-based, SSL, interface (eg, using EC2) allowing the mainstream to set up their own hosted vpn/freenet/tor/i2p/bitcoin nodes
  • your favorite suggestion here

If you're wondering about the 3rd bullet, it's because I think at this point most of the mainstream is like me and has only one computer (laptop), and therefore would rather access/host all their p2p needs through the web rather than burn their precious cpu/battery Wink
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
chaord (OP)

View Profile
September 02, 2010, 10:19:16 PM

What about a bitcoin futures/prediction market? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market
Anonymous

September 02, 2010, 11:49:44 PM

What about a bitcoin futures/prediction market? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prediction_market

Wasn't there a thread about that?
chaord (OP)

View Profile
September 03, 2010, 01:42:30 AM

Wasn't there a thread about that?

Ha, there may have been.  As far as I know no one is actually attempting to implement one though.  The question is "how?" and "is there demand?"
nimnul

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
September 09, 2010, 02:22:04 PM

Well, I'm more interested in using Haskell, Erlang or Javascript/Node.js

"Another MtGox" is not a good idea because trade volume will be split between the two markets. I'd rather work on a front-end/mashup to MtGox. For example: a better interface (I can see a lot of possible improvements), futures or leverage scheme for MtGox to attract traders ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leverage_(finance) ).

Some improvements will require MtGox to expose an API, but many will not.

I also want to develop a board game site with ratings and BTC bets. I'm going to start from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomoku

thrashaholic

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2010, 12:02:07 AM

I've actually been (slowly) building something based on Javascript/Node/NodeRed (check out my github - same handle - for a very rough start) for a game that I've been wanting to make. ( A real-time "web2.0" remake of dopewars...but with an actual persistent market and mechanics...with an Actor paradigm so you can run swarms of cops / thugs / bitches / arbitration, the works...all little javascript NodeRed clients running in the cloud...sadly not enough time on my hands to go it alone...hint, hint )

I'm definitely down with helping with anything in Erlang or Javascript.
nimnul

View Profile WWW
September 18, 2010, 08:43:54 PM

>

A real-time "web2.0" remake of dopewars...but with an actual persistent market and mechanics
But is that related to BTC at all?

I was talking about a site where users can play a game of Gomoku for money (bitcoins).

How are you going to establish "an actual persistent market"? How heroine is going to be produced/consumed?

thrashaholic

View Profile
September 19, 2010, 12:11:03 AM
Last edit: September 19, 2010, 02:27:48 AM by thrashaholic

But is that related to BTC at all?

I was talking about a site where users can play a game of Gomoku for money (bitcoins).

How are you going to establish "an actual persistent market"? How heroine is going to be produced/consumed?

My main point was if someone wants to make anything interesting in Erlang, JS, Scala, or Clojure I'd be very interested in helping, as I have an affinity to those languages. Erlang/OTP is perfect for online games, Scala's Actors are a good fit as well. I have a ton of experience with JS (functional and server-side, i.e. Node.js style) and Erlang, but not so much with Scala.

My game idea is related to BTC far more than just tacking on betting in BTC to any random board game, as BTC would be the actual in game currency (or closely tied to it) - it would become part of the mechanics of the game itself. A virtual economy using a digitl currency. There's very deep similarities with Agorist/AnCap philosophy in the game which BTC invariably shares - I could go on; use your imagination. SL meets Alongside Night with BTC as the currency. Wrapping a popular, highly addictive virtual trading game around BTC could help grow BTC exponentially - and be profitable for all involved.
nimnul

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2010, 08:57:38 PM

But there are problems with using a real currency in a game discussed elsewhere in the forum. Did you though about solving them? How elaborated is your economy project? It's not simple to design an economy.

thrashaholic

View Profile
September 20, 2010, 05:33:07 PM

But there are problems with using a real currency in a game discussed elsewhere in the forum. Did you though about solving them? How elaborated is your economy project? It's not simple to design an economy.

I've read about them, of course - hence the "or closely tied to" part. I do not believe the issues raised within that thread to be a major problem. ( I think the answer lies in carefully worded TOS agreements, etc...) If they become obstacles, then it's as simple as buying in-game 'tokens' with bitcoin. (Or paying for the game with bitcoin, whatever...) Problem solved. The economy is not too elaborate, but the game itself is, which is why it's a multi-year project of mine. Besides, if Helicopter Ben and Turbo Timmay can run an economy (into the ground...), what's stopping me?  Cheesy

I'm not going to go into my project much further, as I hate thread jacking - I only brought it up to say that I've made games/large applications in these languages before and would like to help with anything I find interesting and using a language which I also like - and that furthers bitcoin of course!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: