Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:11:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fear with US based online wallet  (Read 2623 times)
PenguinFire (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

I am rather new to BTC and choose Coinbase to be my online wallet.  Coinbase has all my bitcoins.  Now I fear that wasn't the best move as they are within the United States and report to various government agencies.  Should I be fearful about this?   

Thank you for reading and I look forward to your responses.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:53:37 AM

I use Coinbase. I haven't seen any significant reason to be distrustful of them. Even if they "report to government authorities" why is that a problem unless (1) you are doing something illegal and (2) it somehow involves bitcoin?

I would encourage you to look at cold storage and offline wallet solutions, but you'll find yourself needing to use online exchanges like Coinbase from time to time anyway. The time may come when the government utilizes their influence over corporations to oppress bitcoin users, but there's little point in short-changing yourself today based on what _might_ happen in the future. Just keep your eyes and ears open and have a plan in mind for if things do start to head south.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:58:01 AM

I am rather new to BTC and choose Coinbase to be my online wallet.  Coinbase has all my bitcoins.  Now I fear that wasn't the best move as they are within the United States and report to various government agencies.  Should I be fearful about this?   

>report to various government agencies

Certainly true, but that's not really a good reason to worry at this point. More important is the risk that CB can lock you out of your coins at any time at their discretion. This has happened with me due to a technical error, and it took a week to get it fixed.

I recommend Trezor / Electrum / Breadwallet in that order of security, and only use CB to buy and then immediately transfer BTC.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:13:08 AM

This concern is with US taxes.  Do I have anything to worry about?  I can't report this as property (according to the IRS it is property).

kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:24:45 AM

I'm also curious on the tax aspect as far as Coinbase goes. Do they report purchase/sales etc?
PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:56:35 AM

I'm also curious on the tax aspect as far as Coinbase goes. Do they report purchase/sales etc?

The more I think about it the more I worry.  Sad  At least I didn't buy and sell all too much with them.

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 05:10:29 AM

You should never keep your BTC on private keys you don't exclusively control. You're economically suicidal to use ANY online wallet based in ANY country.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:46:32 AM

I wouldn't go as far as "suicidal"... Roll Eyes

ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 01:38:05 PM

I've made purchases of BTC but not redemptions of BTC for Fiat at Coinbase. So I'm not certain. But I made some purchases last year and haven't gotten any mail/email/communications regarding taxes or tax reporting from them that I can recall.

Even if someone did both purchases and redemptions there, it would not be clear to Coinbase or anyone else how to conduct the taxes on the capital gains from those events. As I understand it you have to decide how you are accounting for your purchases and which coins you are selling to calculate the capital gains. That is, you can choose to either sell the latest coins you purchase, or the earliest coins you purchased. And since you can be buying coins from multiple sources and Coinbase would not know, neither they nor the IRS would know what sort of capital gains to calculate for any given BTC sale.

At most, they or the IRS might inquire about the possibility of a capital gain (or loss), noting the sale of the coins. But I would be surprised if they are following up on anything but perhaps the largest transactions at this point.

If I muddled anything here, feel free to correct me. Taxes are not an area I claim expertise in!

687_2

Activity: 173
Merit: 105

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:29:14 PM

The more I think about it the more I worry.  Sad  At least I didn't buy and sell all too much with them.

If you only buy and never sell (meaning you only transition into BTC ecosystem, and never transition back into the deprecated fiat ecosystem) you have no tax liability. There are several threads here about how to address taxes, but I think in general if you sold BTC for fiat and made a net profit during the fiscal year you'll have to report that as income on your taxes, as capital gains or however you normally treat securities.

Buy the dip with the security and privacy of your own wallet: use cross chain atomic swaps to trade Bitcoin, USDT, and Ether. Trades are secured and settled on-chain. https://sibex.io
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 03:34:39 PM

Depends? Are you laundering money, cheating on your taxes, funding a terror group?

If you are just using bitcoin in a legal way then you SHOULD be using an above board operation. You could find some "dark" exchange that avoids legal compliance. But all you will ever know about the people who run it is that they are criminals. Would you feel safer leaving your money with criminals who could take it at any time and leave you with absolutely no legal recourse? 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 04:16:23 PM

to be my online wallet
Once you've decided to use an online "wallet" at all, it almost doesn't matter which one you pick because it's a bad idea all around.

If you want convenient spending, you can get that from a mobile wallet, or a browser-based wallet.
PenguinFire (OP)

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:19:20 PM

to be my online wallet
Once you've decided to use an online "wallet" at all, it almost doesn't matter which one you pick because it's a bad idea all around.

If you want convenient spending, you can get that from a mobile wallet, or a browser-based wallet.

What is a browser-based wallet you speak of?  Thanks for all the replies guys.  Smiley

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:24:16 PM

to be my online wallet

What is a browser-based wallet you speak of?  Thanks for all the replies guys.  Smiley
Kryptokit and Dark Wallet are two examples.
Mr Tea

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:38:05 PM

Go for a blockchain.info wallet instead. Not actually sure where it's hosted but I trust it and it's very secure if you take advantage of all the security features. If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:42:19 PM

I am rather new to BTC and choose Coinbase to be my online wallet.  Coinbase has all my bitcoins.  Now I fear that wasn't the best move as they are within the United States and report to various government agencies.  Should I be fearful about this?  

Do never store your wealth with a third party.

This is why bitcoin was invented. Download electrum or use a paperwallet, and be the sovereign of your money.
ebliever
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 06:51:04 PM

Go for a blockchain.info wallet instead. Not actually sure where it's hosted but I trust it and it's very secure if you take advantage of all the security features. If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

Ughh.... have you somehow missed all the threads of people getting hacked and losing their BTC at Blockchain the last 3 months due to poor security there? They are literally at the very bottom of my list of sites to trust at this point.

Mr Tea

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:17:38 PM

Ughh.... have you somehow missed all the threads of people getting hacked and losing their BTC at Blockchain the last 3 months due to poor security there? They are literally at the very bottom of my list of sites to trust at this point.

Have you somehow missed all the threads about people getting hacked and losing their BTC from their desktop wallets? Blockchain.info is very safe if you set up 2-factor. These idiots who get hacked never have it set up and usually log straight into a fishing site. It has nothing to do with poor security on blockchain.info but poor security on the users end and these people would lose their coins eventually on whatever wallet they stored them on.

OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 07:47:49 PM

Well I had a problem with a blockchain.info wallet, and it had 2FA.  I was able to get my BTC back from them, however, after a little back-and-forth (hey, it was THEIR fault).

As an aside, I was never able to get 2FA to work smoothly with my wallet (Google Authenticator).

So now I keep (another) blockchain.info wallet, but only to use for small transactions or to mix coins with their SharedCoin service.  My current balance is about $7.00 worth of BTC.

I would recommend keeping larger amounts in a trusted hardware wallet.  I am happy using Trezor and Ledger Nano, both seem to be excellent.
cheekychap

Activity: 182

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:03:31 PM

Well, the only time you would fear is that when you can a lot of BTC. If thats the case, then you should definitely, transfer some to a local wallet and make a paper wallet out of it, and leave it there.
No point in leaving all your BTC on coinbase.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: