Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 10:18:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Fear with US based online wallet  (Read 2630 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 08:25:43 PM

Go for a blockchain.info wallet instead. Not actually sure where it's hosted but I trust it and it's very secure if you take advantage of all the security features. If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

Ughh.... have you somehow missed all the threads of people getting hacked and losing their BTC at Blockchain the last 3 months due to poor security there? They are literally at the very bottom of my list of sites to trust at this point.
Also they are not worth recommending until they stop reusing addresses.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2015, 10:57:28 PM

Go for a blockchain.info wallet instead. Not actually sure where it's hosted but I trust it and it's very secure if you take advantage of all the security features.

Nooope.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=40264.msg10604310#msg10604310

Have you somehow missed all the threads about people getting hacked and losing their BTC from their desktop wallets?

If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

Make up your mind!

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
owlcatz
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1970

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 12:39:36 AM

Trezor. problems solved. Wink

I  C  Λ  R  U  S
██████████
██████▀▀▀██
████▀█████▀█
██████████
██████████
█████████████
░▄████
█████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
████████░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████████▄▄▄████████
███████████████████
█████████████████▀
░░░██
▄▄▄█
█████
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░██
░░░
░░░
░░░
▄██████
█▌░▐██
███████▀
█████████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
████▀▀▀▀████▀▀█████
██
██░░▄▄░░██░░░█████
██
███▄▄██░░███░░█████
██
███▀▀▀▀░░▀██░░█████
██
██░░░░▄▄▄▄█▀░░▀████
██
██░░░░░░░░█░▀▀░████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
██
███████████████████
█████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████
██

██
████
████
██

██
████
[/ce
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

Go for a blockchain.info wallet instead. Not actually sure where it's hosted but I trust it and it's very secure if you take advantage of all the security features. If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

Ughh.... have you somehow missed all the threads of people getting hacked and losing their BTC at Blockchain the last 3 months due to poor security there? They are literally at the very bottom of my list of sites to trust at this point.

Have you somehow missed all the threads about people getting hacked and losing their BTC from their desktop wallets? Blockchain.info is very safe if you set up 2-factor. These idiots who get hacked never have it set up and usually log straight into a fishing site. It has nothing to do with poor security on blockchain.info but poor security on the users end and these people would lose their coins eventually on whatever wallet they stored them on.

I advise people to take extra steps beyond simply having a desktop wallet, such as using multisig, or M of N security, or using a paper wallet or other cold storage option. But a good offline security setup will be inherently stronger than using a 3rd party site, especially one with a history of hacks.

As I understand it the fellow in (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=875805.0) had 2FA set up with Blockchain but still lost ~$70K. It was circumvented within the Blockchain system somehow. That said, I use 2FA for all online exchanges and consider that a basic security precaution. Just be sure you have a  way to recover in case your 2FA device is lost/stolen/damaged. (I explain how to recover using Google Authenticator in https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=962306.msg10557511#msg10557511)

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Mr Tea

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 09:43:34 AM

Have you somehow missed all the threads about people getting hacked and losing their BTC from their desktop wallets?

If you're worried about snooping or safety of the sites you use I'd just recommend keeping your coins on a desktop wallet instead.

Make up your mind!

What do I need to make up my mind on? There's no contradiction there. If he's worried about the safety or respectability of websites don't use them, but keeping your coins on a desktop wallet doesn't mean you can't lose them.

PenguinFire (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

That Darn Cat

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 07:04:54 PM

Not worth it dude for people that me that have smaller amount of BTC.

ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 08:08:42 PM

Not worth it dude for people that me that have smaller amount of BTC.
I agree. It probably makes sense for some people, but it's a step away from the idea that BTC is a cheaper alternative to banking with fiat if you have to pay a goodly sum for a hardware wallet.

What is the security situation with a hardware wallet if someone steals the physical wallet? I assume they would still need a password to access the bitcoins?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: