Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:03:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't lose your head! Full-body transplants will be possible within two years  (Read 3961 times)
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 05:04:29 AM

This is interesting. How do they join two spinal cords?

good question.  we can't repair spinal cord damage yet but in two years they claim to fully transplant a head and reconnect all those nerves?  i think not.  also.. where do you get a donor body.?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
(oYo)

Activity: 476

I like boobies

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 05:42:09 AM

So... hold off on exercising for a few more years and just get a fit body transplant?  Wink

tee-rex (OP)

Merit: 526

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 11:51:32 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2015, 12:01:49 PM by tee-rex

good question.  we can't repair spinal cord damage yet but in two years they claim to fully transplant a head and reconnect all those nerves?  i think not.  also.. where do you get a donor body.?

The doctor in his article (which is included in PubMed, not in the OP) says that if the spinal cord is severed by a sharp cut, then the chances are pretty good for recovering at least partial motility.

Below is the relevant part from that paper:

The key to SCF is a sharp severance of the cords themselves, with its attendant minimal damage to both the axons in the white matter and the neurons in the gray laminae. This is a key point: A typical force generated by creating a sharp transection is less than 10 N versus approximately 26000 N experienced during spinal cord injury

A specially fashioned diamond microtomic snare-blade is one option (unpublished); a nanoknife made of a thin layer of silicon nitride with a nanometer sharp cutting edge is another alternative. Notably, the mechanical strength of silicon is superior to that of steel

He also notes that other studies have revealed that rats whose spinal cords were sharply transected recovered ambulation (ability to move).
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:27:24 PM

If they didn't try it, it means they are missing something. A donor body could be someone who had a fatal brain problem of some sort.
tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
February 28, 2015, 02:31:57 PM

If they didn't try it, it means they are missing something. A donor body could be someone who had a fatal brain problem of some sort.

There are a lot of car accident victims who have their heads terribly and lethally damaged but bodies mostly intact. They (the doctor and company) are missing public and authorities approval obviously.

If society doesn't want it, I won't do it. But if people don't want it in the US or Europe, that doesn't mean it won't be done somewhere else. I'm trying to go about this the right way, but before going to the moon, you want to make sure people will follow you

Why won't you guys finally go and read the article?
tss

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:37:37 AM

good question.  we can't repair spinal cord damage yet but in two years they claim to fully transplant a head and reconnect all those nerves?  i think not.  also.. where do you get a donor body.?

The doctor in his article (which is included in PubMed, not in the OP) says that if the spinal cord is severed by a sharp cut, then the chances are pretty good for recovering at least partial motility.

The key to SCF is a sharp severance of the cords themselves, with its attendant minimal damage to both the axons in the white matter and the neurons in the gray laminae. This is a key point: A typical force generated by creating a sharp transection is less than 10 N versus approximately 26000 N experienced during spinal cord injury

A specially fashioned diamond microtomic snare-blade is one option (unpublished); a nanoknife made of a thin layer of silicon nitride with a nanometer sharp cutting edge is another alternative. Notably, the mechanical strength of silicon is superior to that of steel

He also notes that other studies have revealed that rats whose spinal cords were sharply transected recovered ambulation (ability to move).

the rat's spine was cut sharply and rejoined in the same section. same rat, same spine.

so then you say the key to spinal cord repair is 2 sharp cuts above and below the injury then a joining of the sections?  why hasn't this been tried before?  
bronan

Activity: 774

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:40:11 AM

It has been tried several thousands of times only a straight cut is not the answer.
People have been experimenting with this for several ages, with more or less succes.
Yes even on humans in the wars
tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:15:39 AM
Last edit: March 01, 2015, 09:37:46 AM by tee-rex

the rat's spine was cut sharply and rejoined in the same section. same rat, same spine.

so then you say the key to spinal cord repair is 2 sharp cuts above and below the injury then a joining of the sections?  why hasn't this been tried before? 

I'm absolutely sure that this has already been tried many times (with mixed success). After an injury, the patient isn't usually operated right on the spot (I mean spinal cord surgeries), and with every hour passed his chances for successful recovery are diminishing. Besides that, I think the majority of spinal cord injuries are not cut-throughs but fractures and tears, under which a larger section of the cord is damaged.
tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:21:25 AM

It has been tried several thousands of times only a straight cut is not the answer.
People have been experimenting with this for several ages, with more or less succes.
Yes even on humans in the wars

The doctor says about sharp cut, as you seem to have failed to notice. And he explains precisely what is meant by this, i.e. "a nanoknife made of a thin layer of silicon nitride with a nanometer sharp cutting edge". Nanometer sharp cutting edge means that the cutting edge thickness is just a few atoms/molecules (if not a single molecule of silicon nitride).

There's plenty of room at the bottom.
havecoch

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:23:06 PM

This might promote organ or body kidnapping. But I doubt this will ever be a reality. Why would you want to lose your body for someone elses.

galdur

Activity: 616

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:46:45 PM

But brains degenerate over time. What use is having your head on a young body if you hardly know your ass from your elbow ? So to speak.

TotalShift

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:54:57 PM

But brains degenerate over time. What use is having your head on a young body if you hardly know your ass from your elbow ? So to speak.

This is for now. I'm sure a cure will be discovered soon in our lifetime.
Biomech
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1022

Anarchy is not chaos.

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:11:20 PM

Where I see greater potential, and this appears to be research in the right direction, is cybernetic bodies with organic brains as a means of life extension, or cloning a fresh body and implanting your brain into it. Both are rather futuristic, but the one prediction you can make with certainty regarding new technologies is that you can't accurately predict a timeline. The prerequisites for an assembler already exist, based on the Drexler's "the Engines of Creation", but so far nobody has done it. Unless in secret..
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:48:26 PM

Full-body transplants will be possible within two years, says controversial surgeon Sergio Canavero

The world’s first full-body transplant – in which someone’s head would be sewn onto a donor body – could take place in just two years, according to a controversial surgeon.
Mr Canavero said: “I think we are now at a point when the technical aspects are all feasible. If society doesn't want it, I won't do it. But if people don't want it in the US or Europe, that doesn't mean it won't be done somewhere else. I'm trying to go about this the right way, but before going to the moon, you want to make sure people will follow you

A worthy comment from the site:

Soon we will see 'rich wise heads on young shoulders'. Now the Western oligarchs will finally find some use for the younger poor and disadvantaged (So long as they have a healthy body)

What do you guys think?

Obvious scam. This is like a pump and dump. They hype up a supossedly revolutionary thing, then it turns out a scam. Don't buy on this.
DiFranco

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:54:21 PM

I think it'll be a lot  longer than two years before this happens if ever. I saw that they tried this experiment years ago on a monkey but it only survived a few hours. There's a documentary on vice. Could be bullshit though but it seemed real. I'm not sure if I'd want somebody elses body if I was crippled. Some things just arent meant to be fixed once broken.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 04:41:52 PM

good question.  we can't repair spinal cord damage yet but in two years they claim to fully transplant a head and reconnect all those nerves?  i think not.  also.. where do you get a donor body.?

I think it'll be a lot  longer than two years before this happens if ever. I saw that they tried this experiment years ago on a monkey but it only survived a few hours. There's a documentary on vice. Could be bullshit though but it seemed real. I'm not sure if I'd want somebody elses body if I was crippled. Some things just arent meant to be fixed once broken.

There are far more sophisticated and frankly ethical ways of doing it to begin with like growing skin cells or cybernetics which are actually being proven to work than this crazy necromancy so it seems like this is just tryig to re-invent the wheel in a really fucked up way.
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 05:00:40 PM

In the context of this thread, I want to commemorate the great Soviet-Russian scientist, the founding father of transplantation, Vladimir Petrovich Demnihov.

Among his other experiments, were transplantations of dogs' heads in 1954, where the donor and recipient lived on one body after the operation.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:34:02 PM

This might promote organ or body kidnapping. But I doubt this will ever be a reality. Why would you want to lose your body for someone elses.

Organ theft from prisoners of war or just kidnapped people is already there. Should we then ban organ transplantion at all, and how this ban would stop what is already declared illegal and being chased after?
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:42:10 PM

I'm quite skeptical about the viability of this transplant, and even if it can be done, in case of rejection I guess the head is the one being rejected. Cheesy

tee-rex (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:43:16 PM

I think it'll be a lot  longer than two years before this happens if ever. I saw that they tried this experiment years ago on a monkey but it only survived a few hours. There's a documentary on vice. Could be bullshit though but it seemed real. I'm not sure if I'd want somebody elses body if I was crippled. Some things just arent meant to be fixed once broken.

That monkey had lived for 11 days, if I'm not mistaken. It died because of the complications from the immune system response (and they didn't attach the spinal cords, by the way). These problems are largely overcome by now through the use of immunosuppressants (and will be completely eliminated by gene therapy in the future). Suffice it to say, that about 3,500 heart transplants are performed annually worldwide.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: