Bitcoin Forum
June 30, 2024, 02:32:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmation Time  (Read 3692 times)
cshelswell (OP)

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 09:34:14 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did search.

So I've sent some BTC to an address over 30mins ago and still not even 1 confirmation. Firstly wouldn't this be an issue for BTC to ever be mainstream if you can't pay for things immediately in shops etc?

Also I presume the confirmation time will take longer the bigger the difficulty?

I think i've understood how it works correctly?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 09:39:24 AM

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did search.

So I've sent some BTC to an address over 30mins ago and still not even 1 confirmation.

That can happen yes. Sometimes there is no block found for 30 minutes, sometimes your fee is to low and/or the priority of the transaction is not high enough.

Firstly wouldn't this be an issue for BTC to ever be mainstream if you can't pay for things immediately in shops etc?

No. Creditcards take 6-12 months for their first confirmation, I dont see anyone complaining about that or any customers camping 6 months because they paid for a coffee with a CC.

Also I presume the confirmation time will take longer the bigger the difficulty?

No, difficulty adjusts to keep the average time to find a block at 10 minutes while computation power rises.

I think i've understood how it works correctly?

Im not sure how to answer that question, but I dont think you have understood how bitcoin works. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 09:46:10 AM

Firstly wouldn't this be an issue for BTC to ever be mainstream if you can't pay for things immediately in shops etc?

No. Creditcards take 6-12 months for their first confirmation, I dont see anyone complaining about that or any customers camping 6 months because they paid for a coffee with a CC.

Thanks - you've done a great job of answering.

The only thing with the above is whilst credit cards may take that long to confirm I think the CC companies guarantee the transaction don't they? So in effect when you're paying for your coffee, as far as you're concerned the transaction is immediate. Where as if paying with BTC the company selling the coffee would have to bear the cost of an unconfirmed transaction going bad (just an example with the coffee of course).

Like they'd see the transaction quite quickly but it might not do a single confirmation for sometime after.

Thanks!

PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:48:33 AM

There are few threads about the network being behind with transactions. There are constantly over 2k unconfirmed transactions to be processed. It will take some time to clear the back log. Did you add enough fee to the transaction?
cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 09:55:34 AM

There are few threads about the network being behind with transactions. There are constantly over 2k unconfirmed transactions to be processed. It will take some time to clear the back log. Did you add enough fee to the transaction?

it was an exchange to exchange transaction so not sure if they included a TX fee or not.

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 10:19:37 AM

Thanks - you've done a great job of answering.

The only thing with the above is whilst credit cards may take that long to confirm I think the CC companies guarantee the transaction don't they?

Not always. E.g. digital items are not covered. If you buy something with a stolen CC on steam you might get your account suspended, but steam will never see the money even though you got the digital items (e.g. CS:GO weapon skin).

So in effect when you're paying for your coffee, as far as you're concerned the transaction is immediate.

Yes, but not for the shop owner. They just take the risk because the loss due to stolen CC is lower than the loss of people unable to pay because they have no cash with them. Sometimes the shop can have the CC company pay and they also just take the loss, because its covered by their fees. Essentially Credit Cards make coffee more expensive for everyone even for those that pay with cash, because the shop owner does a mixed calculation on the price. Thus all the fees and losses are paid by all customers. With BTC the customer would have to pay the fee and thus cash payment would essentially be cheaper because it works without a fee.

Where as if paying with BTC the company selling the coffee would have to bear the cost of an unconfirmed transaction going bad (just an example with the coffee of course).

The good things with BTC transactions is that you can counter scam (double spend) attempts. A CC is always legit whether its used by the owner or a scammer. There is nothing you can do about it, you cant detect a stolen CC until its reported as such. Most of the time its not even the physical card thats stolen, but just the information on it.

Like they'd see the transaction quite quickly but it might not do a single confirmation for sometime after.

Thanks!

Again, there is always a risk involved when accepting any form of payment. Someone that owns a shop is aware of that and its reflected in the price. IMHO wide acceptance of bitcoin would lower the potential to scam and thus lower prices (or result in higher profits)

Sheldor333

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:27:12 AM

Yes this is a problem, it would be a lot better if that happened faster. I hope it will be solved in the near future.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:40:34 AM

Credit cards take 5 sec for their first confirmation.
bri912678

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:49:16 AM

I have had to wait for over an hour for one bitcoin confirmation in the past. There is a thread discussing the fact the network seems stressed by big blocks at present. That might be why.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=972003.0
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 10:50:01 AM

Credit cards take 5 sec for their first confirmation.

Isnt that like a transaction beeing checked for validity and would thus be comparable with a received but unconfirmed BTC transaction? At least thats my understand of CC payments.

twister

Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 11:47:53 AM

It has been discussed several times and nothing can be done about this. Some exchanges require 3-6 confirmations before the btc appears in your wallet and that can take up-to an hour sometimes and say you saw a coin which was going cheap and you wanted to grab it, it will be gone by the time your deposit gets confirmed.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
cshelswell (OP)

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 11:51:48 AM

It has been discussed several times and nothing can be done about this. Some exchanges require 3-6 confirmations before the btc appears in your wallet and that can take up-to an hour sometimes and say you saw a coin which was going cheap and you wanted to grab it, it will be gone by the time your deposit gets confirmed.

Yep so people end up leaving their coins on the exchange and then the exchange gets hacked and their coins are gone...

havecoch

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:16:01 PM

Well you only require 2 confirmations to avoid double spending. So you don't really need 6 confirmations all the time.

twister

Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 12:19:10 PM

Yep so people end up leaving their coins on the exchange and then the exchange gets hacked and their coins are gone...

Yeah that's the dilemma but hopefully that problem will be solved once there are decentralized exchanges.

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 12:47:28 PM

Isnt that like a transaction beeing checked for validity and would thus be comparable with a received but unconfirmed BTC transaction? At least thats my understand of CC payments.

In my country if you try to pay with a card that doesn't have enough money then the payment is not accepted. Hence I would compare it to 1 confirmation.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:16:17 PM

In my country if you try to pay with a card that doesn't have enough money then the payment is not accepted. Hence I would compare it to 1 confirmation.

Your comparison is flawed.

If you try to pay with bitcoins, and you don't have enough unspent outputs to use as inputs, you aren't able to even create a transaction.  Any attempt to create a transaction with fake inputs would be rejected by every peer and would never be seen by the merchant at all.

Therefore, bitcoin is again faster since it stops "insufficient funds" transactions before they are ever sent whereas it takes a few seconds for the credit card processor to determine if your card has enough funds.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:20:12 PM

Your comparison is flawed.

If you try to pay with bitcoins, and you don't have enough unspent outputs to use as inputs, you aren't able to even create a transaction.  Any attempt to create a transaction with fake inputs would be rejected by every peer and would never be seen by the merchant at all.

Therefore, bitcoin is again faster since it stops "insufficient funds" transactions before they are ever sent whereas it takes a few seconds for the credit card processor to determine if your card has enough funds.

I think you are wrong and my comparison is perfect. Because your words contradict to this.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4681

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:26:13 PM

I think you are wrong and my comparison is perfect. Because your words contradict to this.

You can think whatever you like, but the fact remains that credit card transactions remain reversible for many months since a customer can refuse the charges and, depending on the contract that the merchant has with the credit card processor, the merchant can lose those funds.

Bitcoins become completely irreversible after a few confirmations and are generally irreversible after the first confirmation.

The link you provided is meaningless.  At the top of that page it even says:
being listed on this page is no indication that . . . any merchant or user lost money
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 01:37:42 PM

You can think whatever you like...

Thank you.

... but the fact remains that credit card transactions remain reversible for many months since a customer can refuse the charges and, depending on the contract that the merchant has with the credit card processor, the merchant can lose those funds.

Are you a citizen of the USA by a chance? These guys always think that rules in the USA are universal rules working in the whole universe.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 01:42:31 PM

-snip-
Are you a citizen of the USA by a chance? These guys always think that rules in the USA are universal rules working in the whole universe.

Are you talking about bank cards by a chance? Those with a PIN?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: