Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:58:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Confirmation Time  (Read 3688 times)
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:00:31 PM

Your data is wrong, already discussed. Validation happens within 5 sec, money can be spent in 20 minutes. http://www.rbinternational.com

His data is not wrong, you are just being argumentative and speaking past him.
There is a difference between banks and between credit cards and debit/bank cards.
His statements apply moreso to credit cards.
Thus:

Credit Cards-

Transaction time (the time it takes to process a payment)
Bitcoin: 1-2 sec
Credit card: 3-5 sec

Money arrival time (the time at which the merchant actually receives the money and can spend it)
Credit card: several business days

Confirmation time (the time at which the merchant can be sure the payment won't be reversed)
Bitcoin: 10 minutes - 1 Hour
Credit card: 3 - 6+ months

Bank/debit cards-

Bank card: 3-5 sec
Paypal -1-2 sec

Money arrival time (the time at which the merchant actually receives the money and can spend it)
Bank card: ~2 days
Paypal - 1-2 sec

Confirmation time (the time at which the merchant can be sure the payment won't be reversed)
Bank card:  6+ months as chargebacks can still occur and create a negative balance on your account
Paypal -  6+ months as chargebacks can still occur and create a negative balance on your account

Just because you can spend paypal  and certain debit card funds right away doesn't mean that those funds cannot be reversed at a later date and all your bank accounts and assets frozen. This happens all the time.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
calci

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:04:44 PM

Your data is wrong, already discussed. Validation happens within 5 sec, money can be spent in 20 minutes. http://www.rbinternational.com

His data is not wrong, you are just being argumentative and speaking past him.
There is a difference between banks and between credit cards and debit/bank cards.
His statements apply moreso to credit cards.
Thus:

Credit Cards-

Credit card: 3 - 6+ months

Bank/debit cards-

Bank card: 3-5 sec

Bank card: ~2 days

Bank card: 20minutes  to 6+ months as chargebacks can still occur and create a negative balance on your account

Nice analogy, but bitcoins are anytime more faster than other options like the credit card. I dont think confrimation times will eveer be a problem.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 08:55:50 PM

Just because you can spend paypal  and certain debit card funds right away doesn't mean that those funds cannot be reversed at a later date and all your bank accounts and assets frozen. This happens all the time.

Ok. You confirmed my position that bitcoiners don't play fair game by comparing Bitcoin to "credit" cards instead of "debit" ones. It's silly to compare BTC to "credit" which can be made out of thin air.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:04:07 PM

Ok. You confirmed my position that bitcoiners don't play fair game by comparing Bitcoin to "credit" cards instead of "debit" ones. It's silly to compare BTC to "credit" which can be made out of thin air.

All Digital fiat is made out of thin air and can get seized, reversed and revoked at anytime.
Are you assuming that debit card chargebacks do not happen?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:06:43 PM

All Digital fiat is made out of thin air and can get seized, reversed and revoked at anytime.
Are you assuming that debit card chargebacks do not happen?

I don't assume that. I just point to the fact that bitcoiners compare Bitcoin to low-end bank tech trying to look cool.
inBitweTrust

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:11:51 PM

I don't assume that. I just point to the fact that bitcoiners compare Bitcoin to low-end bank tech trying to look cool.

It is a fair comparison for most bitcoiners as many are from the US and low end tech is normal there. Either way, the central point remains the same for debit cards and credit cards as chargebacks do occur with either and therefore the funds aren't technically confirmed for months. When you are able to spend the cash you are just given a conditional loan from your bank with the understanding it can be reversed.

BlackMarketKarma

Activity: 107
Merit: 10

Cyclical economic ebb and flow.

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:34:42 PM

Paraphrase? Sure. You're a provocative cunt.  Cool

Haha, yeah! I got the legendary status for that!
Surely it was you, your ego, and your inability to call a spade a spade (in this instance a space is an eco-system which failed to comprehend initial distribution subsequently leading to a much less decentralized currency) ..the ladder of which helped the most, as legendary status is bequeathed upon those who were willing to ..what was it..provide BTC50 donation at the aim of generalized forum improvements etc? Meager sum at the time, laughable now, especially considering the progress in the improvement arena or lack thereof. You're good though, your station amongst the highest echelons of the NXT/crypto space make it so, presumably. In any regard, you're a provocative fuck and most of the time it's just because you choose to have the tenor of an arrogant prick.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:51:11 PM

In any regard, you're a provocative fuck and most of the time it's just because you choose to have the tenor of an arrogant prick.

Yes, I know this. BitcoinTrashTalk is the place where I improve my English by trolling trolls.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:24:27 PM

Sorry, sir, but I own and run several webshops, where I accept credit card payments through different platforms and payment providers. Not with any of them do I actually have the money (or the possibility to spend it) within 20 minutes. Not by far.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:36:19 PM

Sorry, sir, but I own and run several webshops, where I accept credit card payments through different platforms and payment providers. Not with any of them do I actually have the money (or the possibility to spend it) within 20 minutes. Not by far.

So, what are your numbers?
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:37:12 PM

Nobody's trying. It's just that currently, the vast majority of all online payments is being done through low-end bank tech. This simple practical fact determines what Bitcoin can or should be realistically compared against.

I understand that credit cards and debit cards are two very different things. But from a merchant's perspective, the practical differences are only marginal. And in either case, they lose in every possible aspect to Bitcoin by a mile.

For completeness and fair comparison, let's add paypal, wire transfer and cash money in there as well:

Debit card: 3-5 sec
Paypal: 3-5 sec
Wire transfer: one business day to one month (depending on involved banks and location)
Cash: 1-20 sec (depending on how fast you can count)

Bitcoin: same as transaction time (1-2 sec)
Debit card: several business days
Paypal: same as transaction time (3-5 sec)
Wire transfer: same as transaction time (one business day to one month)
Cash: same as transaction time (1-20 sec)

Bitcoin: 10 minutes
Credit card: 6+ months
Debit card: typically 1~3 months with most banks
Paypal: 3+ months
Wire transfer: same as transaction time (one business day to one month)
Cash: same as transaction time (1-20 sec)

Winner: BITCOIN

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:43:05 PM

So, what are your numbers?
Approximately € 20.000 and US $ 15.000 turnover per month, of which roughly 75% is done through credit cards. I'm getting paid out twice a week from the credit card payment processors, so I can typically spend the money in two or three business days. And chargebacks incidentally occur as long as 6 months after the purchase (and as a merchant, I always lose the money).

Now with Bitcoin (which unfortunately still only makes up for about 1% of my monthly turnover) I can spend the money immediately. Number of chargebacks: zero. Cost per month: zero. Cost per transaction: zero. Number of restrictions or regional limitations: zero. Fraud risk: zero. Volatility risk: zero.

Damn, I sure wish Bitcoin will replace that old fiat crap ASAP.

Kazimir
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 04:45:02 PM

By the way, about this:
Ok, what should we compare Bitcoin to, then?

cshelswell (OP)

Activity: 615
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 06:30:31 PM

Does this not depend on what country you are in too? In new Zealand when someone pays you the money is in there immediately. Also back when btc was $1000 I managed to get paid for over 10btc on local bitcoin's from a hacked account (I couldn't have know it was hacked) the bank still honoured the payment.

I know that's not really about transaction time. But here it is pretty quick and once it's in the bank it's yours.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:49:49 PM

By the way, about this:
Ok, what should we compare Bitcoin to, then?

I would compare it to my bank card. I already revealed the numbers - 5 sec for double-spending check and 20 min for withdrawal after paying to other person.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 07:51:31 PM

Does this not depend on what country you are in too? In new Zealand when someone pays you the money is in there immediately. Also back when btc was $1000 I managed to get paid for over 10btc on local bitcoin's from a hacked account (I couldn't have know it was hacked) the bank still honoured the payment.

I know that's not really about transaction time. But here it is pretty quick and once it's in the bank it's yours.

Credit cards appeared in the USA, other countries got them after the tech improved. Maybe this explains why we get much better service.
Dread Pirate Roberts

Activity: 1484
Merit: 326

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 08:51:12 PM

wait not around 1 hours
maybe some network will support about it.
resya

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 12:12:08 AM

compared to other coins, bitcoin is slower. 10 minutes on average for one transaction, just to confirm the coins were sent. but if it get compared to other payment methods as posted above (paypal, credit card, etc), bitcoin is a winner

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: