Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:45:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New Physical Bitcoin - New Concept  (Read 2407 times)
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 07:50:56 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2015, 08:08:07 PM by gravitate

Let me introduce to you a new coin which has something rather special features. The coin is 1 Troy ounce Fine silver that comes with a certificate and in a presentation box.
Each coin contains the value of 1 BITCOIN and unlike conventional physical bitcoins the private key is engraved in a cavity within the coin itself. The coin is not hollow but merely has a surface within the centre of the coin in order to engrave the private key. An issue of security is to be able to read the private key with an x-ray. This has been overcome by engraving characters on the opposite side of the surface of the private key to ensure the private key is 100% not readable.
The only way to obtain the private key is by actually making minimal physical damage to the coin itself so any tampering is evident making the coin possibly the most secure on the market.
What separates this coin truly from the rest is not only the unique design but also that on one of the sides of the coin is what one might say a modern day treasure map. It is a series of clues and cryptic information that leads to a buried treasure. The buried treasure will be exactly the same coin but it will be made of 0.999 Fine gold. There will also be something special with the Gold coin location but this will only be known to the person/ people who find the location of the buried coin. Therefore even if the Gold Coin has been found there will be a bonus for each person who manages to find the location (this will be in relation to an engraving within the purchased coin which will add to the value). I work alone with the clues on the coin, gaining information from experts in various fields individually. The image of the coin will only be available for the people who make a purchase of the coin and will not be released anywhere else. When the coins are ready for shipping I will post a video of me burying the gold coin somewhere which will not give any clues as to where in the world I am. To find the coin you will need to not only ascertain the location of the treasure but then use the coin itself with the local environment to find exactly where it is buried.
This will not be a standard treasure hunt and it is not just a lottery of who will get there first. It  will be very involved to decode the clues so be prepared for a challenging task.
Because of the big overheads involved in this project I will be taking presales. The coin will cost 270 GBP plus 1 Bitcoin. The 270 is the amount to  and the bitcoin can be paid after manufacture.
Only 40 of these coins will be produced and only 5 of the Gold coins will be produced. But these are considered only the 1st series. There are plans for 6 series in total.
Here is the design of the back and the concept of the front.

The back of the coin is the final design and the front will be altered to suite the clues to the real treasure. What you see now is merely a concept of how the clues and information will be displayed.

I am not doing a pre sale any more I am actually now giving 15 people who I have dealt with in the past (who trust me) to have an opportunity to get a serial number 1-15 and invest the price of what a coin would usually cost. In return you get a low serial numbered treasure coin and a fine silver replica (map included but no cavity or bitcoin) 15 only made.

From the time I have 15 investors in the concept of the coin to the delivery of the coin will be approximately 8-10 Weeks due to all the special manufacturing and travel involved.
The buried Gold Coin and its other 4 Coins will also become part of the next series of coins. Each series (I have a plan of 6 at the moment) will connect to each other and the prizes of each series will also connect. This means that if you collect one of each series you will be lead to other great finds but these will be outlined by each release of a new series.

The coin will be minted in Europe and machined in the USA and the final process is to engrave the private keys and make the final seal of the coins which will be done by myself. This means there is every step taken to ensure quality and each entity involved will sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.
I will take payment in Bitcoin for the 275 GBP to start with in bitcoin based on the sell rate on www.bitbargain.co.uk. Serial numbers from 16-40 will be taken on a 1st come first serve basis based on payment when the coin is ready.

Current Investors by serial number of coin:

001 - monkeynuts
002 - bithalo
003 - TBC
004 - TBC
005 - TBC
006 - TBC
007 - TBC
008 - TBC
009 - TBC
010 - TBC
011 - TBC
012 - TBC
013 - TBC
014 - TBC
015 - TBC

After all Investor slots have been filled then you can sit back and wait for the coin to arrive (obviously with updates) to buy them.

To peel or not to peel.
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:02:45 AM

This has been overcome by engraving characters on the opposite side of the surface of the private key to ensure the private key is 100% not readable.
The only way to obtain the private key is by actually making minimal physical damage to the coin itself so any tampering is evident making the coin possibly the most secure on the market.
I'm not quite clear how this works.

The 270 is the amount to be paid upfront in the pre sale and the bitcoin can be paid after manufacture.
A lot of people got burned with the Coinographic preorder, perhaps it is better to make the coin first and then sell them.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:24:23 AM

This has been overcome by engraving characters on the opposite side of the surface of the private key to ensure the private key is 100% not readable.
I'm not quite clear how this works.

The 270 is the amount to be paid upfront in the pre sale and the bitcoin can be paid after manufacture.
A lot of people got burned with the Coinographic preorder, perhaps it is better to make the coin first and then sell them.

Hi not sure what happened with the coinographic to be fair why did they take pre orders? I am 150% confident the coin can be made and how to do it. Also I have another coin that will be in production soon that will only be sold after it is manufactured. the reason I am pre selling this one is because of the extraordinarily high labor, time, travel and effort in producing them and the concept. Also with the fact that they are a high premium coin. If it was a regular physical bitcoin then yes there is no need what so ever but this one is different.

Also there will be 2 surfaces facing each other within the coin. One with the private key on and the other with 'gobbledy gook' on so you can not read the private key with any x ray or modern scanner.

To peel or not to peel.
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 08:35:44 AM

Oh Actually just read about coinographic. Yes everyone has been stung by the fall in Bitcoin price but if you are going into a business with precious metal and bitcoin its very important in the current climate to not hold the monies in bitcoin. Remember I said:

I will take payment in Bitcoin for the 275 GBP to start with in bitcoin based on the sell rate on www.bitbargain.co.uk

This is so I can convert the BTC to FIAT immediately and hence you will not be getting any updates like 'sorry I kept all the sales money in bitcoin and the price crashed so all your money is gone' which is what I summarised in the coinographic episode.

Anyway I have been in the physical side of things for 2 years now and still going and still passionate about it. I am confident this series of coins will initiate some good press for bitcoin.

To peel or not to peel.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 12:57:06 PM

I am interested, but can you show us a rendering of how the private keys would work? Is it a piece of metal in the coin that is engraved on both sides? How would the coin be damaged retrieving the key?
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:09:18 PM

I am interested, but can you show us a rendering of how the private keys would work? Is it a piece of metal in the coin that is engraved on both sides? How would the coin be damaged retrieving the key?

I will say some simple stuff here to try make it understandable. Lets say you start with a coin and chop it in half through its center so you have 2 thinner coins. You then engrave a private on one side and some other characters on the other and then stick them together. You can only read the key if you part the 2 halves. This shows you the concept of the private key security.

BUT ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE:
It isn't simply a coin chopped in half it requires a lot of machining on a metal lathe. So to make one of these coins you actually need to start with 2 coins to make only one. From 2 minted coins you end up with 1 finished product and some scrap metal which goes towards the machining. The actual visible cut/seal line just inside the outer ring of the coin making it invisible to the naked eye. The 2 parts of the coin are sealed securely in such a way it is impossible to part the 2 pieces with out causing visible damage to the finished product.

Does this answer your question?

To peel or not to peel.
Blazed
Casascius Addict
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1119

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:16:30 PM

I will say some simple stuff here to try make it understandable. Lets say you start with a coin and chop it in half through its center so you have 2 thinner coins. You then engrave a private on one side and some other characters on the other and then stick them together. You can only read the key if you part the 2 halves. This shows you the concept of the private key security.

BUT ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE:
It isn't simply a coin chopped in half it requires a lot of machining on a metal lathe. So to make one of these coins you actually need to start with 2 coins to make only one. From 2 minted coins you end up with 1 finished product and some scrap metal which goes towards the machining. The actual visible cut/seal line just inside the outer ring of the coin making it invisible to the naked eye. The 2 parts of the coin are sealed securely in such a way it is impossible to part the 2 pieces with out causing visible damage to the finished product.

So how would you ever redeem it without potentially ruining the keys while cutting it open?
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:44:55 PM

Oh Actually just read about coinographic. Yes everyone has been stung by the fall in Bitcoin price but if you are going into a business with precious metal and bitcoin its very important in the current climate to not hold the monies in bitcoin. Remember I said:

I will take payment in Bitcoin for the 275 GBP to start with in bitcoin based on the sell rate on www.bitbargain.co.uk

This is so I can convert the BTC to FIAT immediately and hence you will not be getting any updates like 'sorry I kept all the sales money in bitcoin and the price crashed so all your money is gone' which is what I summarised in the coinographic episode.

Anyway I have been in the physical side of things for 2 years now and still going and still passionate about it. I am confident this series of coins will initiate some good press for bitcoin.

What about funding the coin?  What if BTC price shoots up even 10-15%?  Wouldnt it make sense to wait until the coin is made and then fund it right when each coin is ordered?  Doesn't that seem to be the only way to protect your business and the customers at the same time? 

Seems like you want to avoid the same preorder setup coinographic had...
BG4
Legendary

Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024

PaperSafe

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:16:36 PM

I have seen coins like this.....I actually have a US 50 cent piece that is actually 2 coins that is milled in such a way that on fits inside the other an looks like one coin..... It's a magic trick a bought on vacation..to get the 2 coins apart you need a ring that has a lip that it sits in and you just bang it on a table to get it apary....on one of the halves is stamped a copper English penny..The trick is to show the 50 cent and the English penny....some slight of hand and you snap the 2 together...now you have one coin..And the English penny is gone.......I've always thought it would make a great physical bitcoin...So I'm understanding the coin concept and like it......the milling work will be extreamly detailed...down to the 10000s of an inch...

WOW .....I hope you are successful with this....Great Concept..... Don't let us down...
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:27:24 PM

BUT ITS NOT THAT SIMPLE:

So how would you ever redeem it without potentially ruining the keys while cutting it open?

There is no adhesive/ metalic fusion or compression fitting anywhere near the private key so the 2 parts can be separated and leave the private key intact. When opened it will only be the sides of the coin near the outer ring that will be physically damaged. When the coin has been opened it will still look half ok but you will see tamper marks around the ring of the coin.

With the holographic stickers it is possible to use a lot of patience and get them off with some kind of non polar substance such as naptha etc which has been documented. With these coins with the engraving within the coin it is practically impossible and I would welcome anyone to try.

What about funding the coin?  What if BTC price shoots up even 10-15%?  Wouldnt it make sense to wait until the coin is made and then fund it right when each coin is ordered?  Doesn't that seem to be the only way to protect your business and the customers at the same time?  

Seems like you want to avoid the same preorder setup coinographic had...

Hi so basically that is exactly what I intend to do. The customer pays 270 GBP then when the coin is finished they will send 1 BTC so I will then ship the coin and then fund when the coin arrives to the purchaser. This way there is absolutely zero risk of the volatility of the bitcoin value.

To peel or not to peel.
bithalo
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1017

Star Wars Ep. 9 is here

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:35:24 PM

gravitate...great concept...and very innovative in both the coin design and treasure hunt.

A couple things...

1.  The community was badly burned (myself included) on the coinographic fiasco.  There will likely be a lot of people averse to doing another big ticket pre-order.  

Even before coinographic, it took a while to get 20 people to pre-order for example ognasty's Nastyfans 5 oz silver, though thankfully it was successful.  He accepted partial pre-orders of $100 up front.

I fear it may take months to get the 35 pre-orders for a big ticket item again, which makes the buyers wait for a long time with money tied up and worrying if the coin will get made.

2. Though I personally have purchased from you and trust you, may I suggest accepting escrow?  Another option is crypto crowdfunding via say startjoin.

3.  Any chance not having this coin funded?  I cant picture anyone wanting to destroy their coin to get the key inside.  Unless the coin can be relatively easily opened and put back together with just a indication of tampering, I don't know how many people will want to do it.

Even if the coin appears tampered with, what stops someone from sending it to ANACS to have it sealed in a holder to hide the fact it was opened?

4.  Can you provide any more details about the treasure hunt?  For example, how many places / countries you have to visit, to get an idea of the level of effort?

5.  The design has a little bit of cryptolator "unchained" in it.  Crumbling banks, people, coins, chains.  I like it.

Good luck with the effort.  I for one will be ordering a coin.

Co-author to the Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins.  More details can be found at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2767515.0
jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:58:05 PM

Hi so basically that is exactly what I intend to do. The customer pays 270 GBP then when the coin is finished they will send 1 BTC so I will then ship the coin and then fund when the coin arrives to the purchaser. This way there is absolutely zero risk of the volatility of the bitcoin value.

That still doesn't solve the pre-order arrangement, I think that is also a concern.  Do you have firm quotes for your fabrication/machining costs?  What about variations in the price of silver?
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 04:45:48 PM

That still doesn't solve the pre-order arrangement, I think that is also a concern.  Do you have firm quotes for your fabrication/machining costs?  What about variations in the price of silver?

I have firm quotations on travel, machining and other costs incurred. I have done the maths repeatedly so as to make sure everything works out ok. Also the pre sale is the only way to make sure all my efforts do not go to waste. The price of silver is not exactly a major concern as the silver is actually already owed to me by a Mint.
gravitate...great concept...and very innovative in both the coin design and treasure hunt.

A couple things...

1.  The community was badly burned (myself included) on the coinographic fiasco.  There will likely be a lot of people averse to doing another big ticket pre-order. 

Even before coinographic, it took a while to get 20 people to pre-order for example ognasty's Nastyfans 5 oz silver, though thankfully it was successful.  He accepted partial pre-orders of $100 up front.

I fear it may take months to get the 35 pre-orders for a big ticket item again, which makes the buyers wait for a long time with money tied up and worrying if the coin will get made.

2. Though I personally have purchased from you and trust you, may I suggest accepting escrow?  Another option is crypto crowdfunding via say startjoin.

3.  Any chance not having this coin funded?  I cant picture anyone wanting to destroy their coin to get the key inside.  Unless the coin can be relatively easily opened and put back together with just a indication of tampering, I don't know how many people will want to do it.

Even if the coin appears tampered with, what stops someone from sending it to ANACS to have it sealed in a holder to hide the fact it was opened?

4.  Can you provide any more details about the treasure hunt?  For example, how many places / countries you have to visit, to get an idea of the level of effort?

5.  The design has a little bit of cryptolator "unchained" in it.  Crumbling banks, people, coins, chains.  I like it.

Good luck with the effort.  I for one will be ordering a coin.

1. I started at an ideal value of how many I would like to sell before manufacture starts. I would possibly reduce this pending on how much interest there is.
2. Escrow- No I don't really want to go down this road as I already have another coin in late design that I will be funding so the pre orders will help with cash flow as the process of making the coin goes.
3. An option would to be sell a small quantity unfunded coins. Like a limited run of the original coins that have no machining done. But the damage to the coin will not be so bad. With some slight semi skilled workmanship (by anyone) you will be able to get the coin to a reasonable state but the evidence of tampering will be there.
4.From asking a few members before the announcement of the coin I did ask and I have made the final gold coin location 1 flight away from where you will be in the world (depending on connections) i.e. you will only have to travel to one location when ever you work out where that location will be and from there navigate to the Gold coin.
5. Yes I really like cryptolator coins. Actually they gave me the idea of having a scene on the back of the coin. In this case there are chained up slaves parading from the bank enslaved by the bankers. All this while the Sun is a bitcoin which is melting the banks and freeing the people, giving them chance to fight the people who enslaved them.

I will think about the pre order status and modify the thread tomorrow.
Thanks for your input!

To peel or not to peel.
scribe

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 09:14:48 PM

Love buried treasure ideas like Masquerade and Perplex City, so hope this does well. Keeping an eye on the thread, wondering whether to cash in a Casascius in exchange.. Smiley

blocknois.es Bitcoin music label. ~ New release: This Is Art

Read: Bitcoin Life | Wear: FUTUREECONOMY
elianite
Legendary

Activity: 1377
Merit: 1134

The Cryptonumist

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 03:22:02 AM

very interesting

New book: BLOCKLAND: 21 Stories of Bitcoin, Blockchain, and Cryptocurrency www.cryptonumist.com/blockland
Author of Encyclopedia of Physical Bitcoins and Crypto-Currencies. View a free sample and Buy the book at https://cryptonumist.com
To prevent hacks, DO NOT send me BTC above $300 value before first emailing coins@cryptonumist.com to confirm. Beware of scammers on Telegram/Instagram etc.
snarlpill

Activity: 910
Merit: 530

$5 24k Gold FREE 4 sign-up! Mene.com/invite/h5ZRRP

View Profile WWW
March 03, 2015, 04:39:48 AM

Love this idea, so unique and would be great to show the grandkids sometime in the future. Glad to see your plans advancing to the next stage. I would want one of them but agree that 35 pre-orders would probably take a little while to be filled with the price of the coin, the physical Bitcoin market right now, and the Coinographic scandal recently having taken place abusing pre-orders.
Excited to see more details released in this thread. Any info. about your other new coin to be released- is it a new MicroSoul?

smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 05:27:53 AM

Interesting concept...

But biggest red flag (not saying you are a scammer), is the pre order concept.

One word: COINOGRAPHIC

If you can't fund the project I suggest you get an investor to back you.

Asking customers to fund your project is in my opinion immoral at this point in Bitcoin's history.

As a coin maker myself, I would not say this unless I do it myself. And yes I have paid for all of my own products upfront before ever taking a single order from a customer. That is how you should operate your business to gain integrity in this community.

Hopefully my words are of encouragement to you in this project.

Good luck!

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

Jettison86

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 05:48:08 AM

NO PREORDERS!  NO PREORDERS!!  NO PREORDERS!!!  Just NO!
gravitate (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:09:07 AM
Last edit: March 03, 2015, 08:23:46 AM by gravitate

Hi I have also paid for all my own products before and I also have another coin in production right now which is similar to this one (1 troy ounce silver with hidden prizes) but not as involved and less complications (this one I am 100% funding). The problem with the buried treasure coin there is a huge amount of labour, travel and time involved. To be honest the pre sale was not 100% about getting the money but it was to gauge the interest also.

As for getting an investor goes then no that's really not a good idea unless you hike up the prices in order to pay them something in return. This is no good for the people buying the coin as far as I am concerned. As people know who have bought from me before my profit margins are very small and I want to keep it that way.

Also as I have said I have been in the coin business for just over 2 years so I am confident this project will go to plan. I am not a new entity who wants to make a physical coin with no idea how to handle the finances, utilise the best mints and deal with customers. As I have said I have been doing this for a long time and have the experience so as to not make any dumb mistakes like the story I read about coinographic. I have made mistakes and I have always sorted them out.

But as many people do have their concerns about this then I have thought about it and I will reduce the pre orders to 15. Also if you do pre order you will get an additional replica coin but with no private key on the inside. It will basically be a 1 troy ounce silver token with the map on (obviously only 15 will ever be made).

So only 15 pre orders required and if you are one of these not only will you have the lowest serial numbers but you will have a very limited addition 1 of 15 coin.

I hope this suits everyone? Let me know your thoughts.

To peel or not to peel.
LitcoinCollector
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:50:43 AM

I would listen to your potential customers... No preorder.
Good luck with your project.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: