Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:59:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who knows pirateat40 in real life?  (Read 5793 times)
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:07:50 PM

This must be my fault but I just looked up Kevin Day (a comedian apparently) and I totally miss the reference here. Care to explain the joke?  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 06:13:23 PM

This must be my fault but I just looked up Kevin Day (a comedian apparently) and I totally miss the reference here. Care to explain the joke?  Wink

Meet Kevin Day: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=20207.0
exahash

Activity: 278
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 02:33:21 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Pirates wardrobe choice was intentional?

Black hat.  White collar.

Good choice, imho.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:25:22 PM

and you believe that? They have no idea of knowing and each day would be different. Those numbers were probably pulled by the number of forum users or someshit.

Well it was an almost year long research project at the University of Carnegie Mellon.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1207.7139v1.pdf

Abstract
We perform a comprehensive measurement analysis of Silk Road, an anonymous, international online marketplace that operates as a Tor hidden service and uses Bitcoin as its exchange currency. We  gather and analyze data over eight months between the end of 2011 and 2012, including daily crawls of the marketplace for nearly six months in 2012. We obtain a detailed picture of the type of goods being sold on Silk Road, and of the revenues made both by sellers and Silk Road operators. Through examining over 24,400 separate items sold on the site, we show that Silk Road is overwhelmingly used as a market for controlled substances and narcotics. A relatively small “core” of about 60 sellers has been present throughout our measurement interval, while the majority of sellers leaves (or goes “underground”) within a couple of weeks of their first appearance. We evaluate the total revenue made by all sellers to approximately USD 1.9 million per month; this corresponds to about USD 143,000 per month
in commissions perceived by the Silk Road operators. We further show that the marketplace has been operating steadily, with daily sales and number of sellers overall increasing over the past few months. We discuss economic and policy implications of our analysis and results, including ethical considerations for future research in this area.

They did a complete scrape of the entire SR every day for eight months and dumped the listings, feedback, and order statuses into a database.  From that and analyzing the daily changes and timestamps they built a model to extrapolate daily and monthly volume.    Slight more than just "pulled by the number of forum users or someshit".

While obviously is some error (it is an estimate) it is the most detailed look at the SR yet.   It seems unlikely their methodology would be so bad that they are off by a magnitude.   Their estimate is SR operator has gross revenue of ~$200K per month.   If it is $150K or $400 it doesn't really material change the assessment that Pirate operation is simply too large to be the SR tumbler.  Hell even if the SR operator GROSS REVENUE was $2 million (a stretch to think their methodology was that inaccurate) it seems very unlikely they would give 60% of that away for "tumbling services".
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 12:39:57 PM

What are the chances the cia is buying all the bitcoins they can on the sly because they know the usd is about to collapse as the worlds reserve currency and they are just getting as much of the replacement as they can before the russians or chinese do ?

In  this case there is unlimited fiat at their disposal and they can just run the presses to gather as many bitcoins as they can.

Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:47:50 PM

Why would SR even need 'tumbling services'. Have there been instances where someone has said 'Oh your coins came from SR they are no good here'? I just don't think it is a necessary thing unless SR is actually paying taxes on their revenue which is another long stretch.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
AndrewBUD

Activity: 1078
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 12:55:11 PM

No idea..

I think SR has grown since they did this study... some vendors alone would be doing $400k in monthly sales..

1 guy I talk to on there moves a kilo of coke every couple days... say 15 kilo's a month... x $25k = a lot of money Tongue

has to be something not so legal... possibly SR is only a small part of it Smiley

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████▀▀''`▀▀█████▄▄
▄███P'            `YY██▄
▄██P'                  `Y██▄
███'                      `███
███'                         ███
▄██'   ▄█████▄▄  ,▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄p   ███
▄██▀  ,████▀P▀███.`██████████P   ▀██▄
███[ ,████ __. ███.   ,▄████▀    ███
███[ ]████████████[  ▄████▀       ███
███[ `████   ,oo2 ▄████▀'       ,███
▀██▄  `████▄▄█████d███████████   ▄██▀
▀██.   `▀▀▀▀▀▀"  Y▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ,██▀
███.                        ,███
▀██▄                      ▄██▀
▀███▄_                 ,███▀
▀███▄▄_          _▄▄███▀
▀▀████▄▄ooo▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████▀▀'

TM

EZ365 is a digital ecosystem that combines
the best aspects of online gaming, cryptocurrency
trading
and blockchain education. ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

..WHITEPAPER..    ..INVESTOR PITCH..

.Telegram     Twitter   Facebook

.'M████▀▀██  ██
                      W█Ws'V██  ██▄▄███▀▀█
                     i█████m.~M████▀▀██  ███
                     d███████Ws'V██  ██████
                     ****M██████m.~███f~~__mW█
          ██▀▀▀████████=  Y██▀▀██W ,gm███████
      g█████▄▄▄██   █A~`_WW Y█  ██!,████████
   g▀▀▀███   ████▀▀`_m████i!████P W███  ██
 _███▄▄▄██▀▀▀███Af`_m███   █W ███A ]███  ██
__ ~~~▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█*f_m██████   ██i!██!i███████
Y█████▄▄▄▄__. i██▀▀▀██████████ █!,██████
 8█  █▀▀█████.!██   ██████████i! █████
 '█  █  █   █W M█▄▄▄██████   ██ !██
  !███▄▄█   ██i'██████████   ██
   Y███████████.]██████████████
   █   ███████b ███   ██████
   Y   █   █▀▀█i!██   ████
    V███   █  █W Y█████
      ~~▀███▄▄▄█['███
            ~~*██

Play

│
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │      ███
    │   │  ███
   ███  │  ███
   ███ ███ ███
 │  ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███  │   │
███ ███  │   │
 │   │
 │

Trade

__▄▄████▄▄
     __▄▄███████████████▄▄▄
 _▄▄█████████▀▀~`,▄████████████▄▄▄
 ~▀▀████▀▀~`,_▄▄███████████████▀▀▀
   d█~  =▀███████████████▀▀
   ]█! m▄▄ '~▀▀▀████▀▀~~ ,_▄▄
  ,W█. *████▄▄__ '  __▄▄█████
  !██P  █████████████████████
   W█. - ██████████████████▀
  i██[   ~ ▀▀█████████▀▀▀
 g███!
Y███

Learn
[/tabl
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 03:30:00 PM

What are the chances the cia is buying all the bitcoins they can on the sly because they know the usd is about to collapse as the worlds reserve currency and they are just getting as much of the replacement as they can before the russians or chinese do ?

In  this case there is unlimited fiat at their disposal and they can just run the presses to gather as many bitcoins as they can.

if the CIA  or the FED were buying coins ,theres no reason they would stop at 11usd

esp if fiat was about to collapse
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: