Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 05:06:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you think Buffett was right?  (Read 11609 times)
dataispower (OP)

Activity: 1330
Merit: 289

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:26:00 PM

Of course money will change, my point is that bitcoin, in the current form, will not replace it.

Bitcoin is not used as money by most people who own bitcoin. If the majority of people who own bitcoin don't use it as money - then it is simply not money. This is what I mean when I talk about treating money as an investment.

From sniffing around it seems that it's a lot of different things to different people at the moment. Some people are using it purely as money. Others are  speculating and nothing but. Many are a combination.

Some are super keen for it be fully integrated into the existing financial system. Others would boil their miners if that happened.  

Assuming it continues to survive and grow, what do you think its place in the world might be?

A proof of concept for the blockchain technology.
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:30:15 PM

Of course money will change, my point is that bitcoin, in the current form, will not replace it.

Bitcoin is not used as money by most people who own bitcoin. If the majority of people who own bitcoin don't use it as money - then it is simply not money. This is what I mean when I talk about treating money as an investment.

From sniffing around it seems that it's a lot of different things to different people at the moment. Some people are using it purely as money. Others are  speculating and nothing but. Many are a combination.

Some are super keen for it be fully integrated into the existing financial system. Others would boil their miners if that happened.  

Assuming it continues to survive and grow, what do you think its place in the world might be?

I don't love speculating, but a quick look through dataispower's post history shows that it's littered with Dogecoin-moon posts, and includes this gem:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=913538.msg10032317#msg10032317
The question is, will the Dogecoin network effect overtake bitcoin?

Cool

Maybe shedding some light on where he thinks (wants) BTC's place in the word to be?

Irrelevant to the discussion.

It's quite relevant after reading your posts.  It sheds light into the manner in which you've lead this "discussion" - which is mostly around in circles.  The fact that you think Dogecoin could overtake BTC (or more likely want Dogecoin to overtake BTC, because of vested interest) shows a translucent bias.

The discussion is about bitcoin value, and the question why should the majority use it. We're talking about the practical use cases of bitcoin, how people could benefit from using it.

Did you just seriously say we should talk about practical use cases for money??? It's money.  That's the use case.

The majority don't need to use it.  
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:30:58 PM

He also said it could not be trusted because "this Satoshi guy" could have hidden something in the code to steal your coins. Warren Buffet does not know dick about bitcoin. Why would he?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:33:32 PM

I don't love speculating, but a quick look through dataispower's post history shows that it's littered with Dogecoin-moon posts, and includes this gem:

Cool

Maybe shedding some light on where he thinks (wants) BTC's place in the word to be?

It's quite relevant after reading your posts.  It sheds light into the manner in which you've lead this "discussion" - which is mostly around in circles.  The fact that you think Dogecoin could overtake BTC (or more likely want Dogecoin to overtake BTC, because of vested interest) shows a translucent bias.

The discussion is about bitcoin value, and the question why should the majority use it. We're talking about the practical use cases of bitcoin, how people could benefit from using it.

The majority don't need to use it.  There's plenty of practical use cases, just like there are with any other form of money, even your Dogecoin.

We're talking about mainstream adoption here, so let us not change the subject. 
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:36:04 PM

Cool

It's quite relevant after reading your posts.  It sheds light into the manner in which you've lead this "discussion" - which is mostly around in circles.  The fact that you think Dogecoin could overtake BTC (or more likely want Dogecoin to overtake BTC, because of vested interest) shows a translucent bias.

Did you just seriously say we should talk about practical use cases for money??? It's money.  That's the use case.

The majority don't need to use it.  

You've edited your post. The discussion is about mainstream use of bitcoin.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:39:59 PM

Cool

It's quite relevant after reading your posts.  It sheds light into the manner in which you've lead this "discussion" - which is mostly around in circles.  The fact that you think Dogecoin could overtake BTC (or more likely want Dogecoin to overtake BTC, because of vested interest) shows a translucent bias.

The majority don't need to use it.  There's plenty of practical use cases, just like there are with any other form of money, even your Dogecoin.

Mainstream adoption? I'm not sure when you were having that conversation.  I've been responding specifically to this:

By "need" I mean that there is a demand for gold for different applications other than store of value.

Bitcoin has to provide something of value, a practical use case.

To say that bitcoin is valuable because we believe it has value is not good enough.

I'm not surprised you're trying to move the conversation back away from that, though, since the last page and a half of you claiming "BTC isn't money" looks really bad.

Yes I did, to put emphasis on the point of ridiculousness in which you were asking for use cases of money.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:47:29 PM

Cool

Mainstream adoption? I'm not sure when you were having that conversation.  I've been responding specifically to this:

By "need" I mean that there is a demand for gold for different applications other than store of value.

Bitcoin has to provide something of value, a practical use case.

To say that bitcoin is valuable because we believe it has value is not good enough.

I'm not surprised you're trying to move the conversation back away from that, though, since the last page and a half of you claiming "BTC isn't money" looks really bad.

Yes I did, to put emphasis on the point of ridiculousness in which you were asking for use cases of money.

The discussion was always about the majority of people, you can simply look at the past posts. All is consistent.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 08:50:32 PM

The discussion was always about the majority of people, you can simply look at the past posts. All is consistent.

Oh here, I looked at the past posts:

"It's a method of transmitting money."

Wrong. Bitcoin is money.

Is it really? I don't see why most people should use it for day-to-day transactions.

Mainstream adoption? We're all the way back on the #25th post of this abortion of a thread and you made it clear you don't understand the definition of money.

How can you even expect to have a discussion about Mainstream adoption when you don't understand the underlying concept of money that the mainstream would adopt?

You're also making the assumption that Bitcoin has to be accepted by the

majority of people

when that is garbage, too.  Here Bitcoin is, not adopted by the mainstream, and 6 years after inception we're sitting at $285.
dataispower (OP)

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:08:36 PM

Oh here, I looked at the past posts:

"It's a method of transmitting money."

Wrong. Bitcoin is money.

Is it really? I don't see why most people should use it for day-to-day transactions.

Mainstream adoption? We're all the way back on the #25th post of this abortion of a thread and you made it clear you don't understand the definition of money.

How can you even expect to have a discussion about Mainstream adoption when you don't understand the underlying concept of money that the mainstream would adopt?

You're also making the assumption that Bitcoin has to be accepted by the

majority of people

when that is garbage, too.  Here Bitcoin is, not adopted by the mainstream, and 6 years after inception we're sitting at $285.

"Why bitcoin has such a high value today is really a mystery."

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=973888.msg10643328#msg10643328

The subject of the discussion is clear, my posts are consistent and easily verifiable. 

The reader will be the judge.
ThatDGuy

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:13:41 PM

The subject of the discussion is clear, my posts are consistent and easily verifiable.  

The reader will be the judge.

You've been consistently wrong and/or unwilling to admit that Bitcoin is money, so I can't fault you for consistency.

"Why bitcoin has such a high value today is really a mystery."

The mystery was solved for you plainly like a page ago: It's because Bitcoin is money, and people speculate on currencies.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:21:53 PM

His track record speaks for itself. It also tells us that the combination of tech and certain PM esque qualities are both fundamental turn offs for him and always have been.  

He's an investor. At the moment this whole space is speculation. They are totally different beasts.

He is (was) a value investor. Analyze companies, find those with a promising future that is currently undervalued by the market. Good luck with that in the current QE/ZIRP environment.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 09:42:11 PM

The largest benefit for bitcoin is to set you free from the slavery of debt based fiat money system, but it is not the time yet

"Modern fiat money system is slavery. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Business men, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people bitcoin trying to save. But until it does, these people are still a part of that system, and that makes them hate bitcoin. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to use honest money. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it."

viboracecata
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Varanida : Fair & Transparent Digital Ecosystem

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 08:31:29 AM

If more than 10,000,000 people consider bitcoin as the payment future, then Buffet was wrong, as of now, I think we can conclude he was wrong

iBuilding A Better Interneti
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

█b
▐█=
║█
██                                         ¡▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄┌
██M                                  ╒▄▄▄▄█▀    ▂▂ ╙▀▀▆▄
██▌                                ╓, ,██╨      ▀▀▀    ╜▀█▌
███                                ▀▀██╙     ▄▄▄▄▄      ╓█L
█ █▌                            ▄▄▄▄█▀          └▀▀▀▀█Φ█▀"
█▌ █▄                            ██▀           ▄█▀
▐▌  ▀▌                       ▀▄██▀            ▄▀
▐█     ▂▂▂                ▄  ▄█▀           ▄▄▀
 █▌  ╙▀▀▀▀▀█▄         ▄   ███▀     ▁▂▃▄▄▄█▀▀
  █▄        █▌    █▄  ██▄█▀        ▔▔╙▀▐█
   █▄       █▌ ▀▀████▀▀▀               ▐▌
    ▀█     █▀                          ▐▌
     ╙█▄  ▄▌                        ╓█ ▐█
       └▀██  ╓▄▄µ╓▄▄µ            ,▄█▀┘  █▌    ▄▄ ╓▄▄µ
         ██▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄       ╓▄▄█▀▀      ▀█▄█▀▀▀██▄╙▀█▄▄
          ▀╙    ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀╙           `      "▀▀  └╙
You Can See Me Now, Hi :}
VARANIDA

▄██   ▄███▄
              ▄███████  ██
              ██    ▀████▀
             ██
  ▄▄  ▄▄█████████████▄▄  ▄▄
▄███████████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████████
▀███████    █████    ███████▀
  ▀█████    █████    █████▀
   ███████████████████████
    █████▄  ▀▀▀▀▀  ▄█████
     ▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
        ▀▀█████████▀▀
|Hello Again
GWhitePaperG
GAnn ThreadG
polynesia
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
March 04, 2015, 04:13:29 PM

He really doesn't understand tech.
He is trying to stay away from things he doesn't understand.
Gyfts
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1512

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:46:06 AM

Really poor analogy. You can not compare Bitcoin to checks.

Not in this case, but the check analogy and postage is good when it comes to transaction fees. Postage should be related to the number of checks you place in the envelope, not the value of the checks. Similarly the transaction fees should be related to the number of bytes you transaction takes up and not the value of the transaction.

Speaking of Buffett, he may be a good investor but he himself admits there are a lot of things in the financial world that he doesn't understand. He's not even a good trader. I've owned Berkshire Hathaway A for almost 20 years (bought 1 share in the 90's when is was only $80K) and it has done well, but it certainly has not been my best performing investment,

I do agree for the transaction fee's. Correlates pretty much perfectly. When referring to a check, though, what I believe he is undermining is the fact that a bank provides the piece of paper with value. With Bitcoin, you don't have anything to determine it's value. To your point about Warren Buffett, that's pretty much true. I see him as being extremely lucky to be in the position he's in. Not sure about his intellect, but he got to his net worth somehow. Probably just making the right decisions at the right times and using his wealth to reinvest. Not all entirely too sure on what Buffett did exactly but that seems to be the pattern for all wealthy people worth billions.
inigthz

Activity: 507
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 09:54:22 AM

logBIT

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:20:59 AM

His generation don't trust computers or anything to do with them.
Monetizer

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:30:10 AM

The whole idea of value is that something is worth what someone else is willing to pay is it not? If we are all willing to pay $500 a bitcoin that is what it should be worth.
NeuroticFish
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 6406

Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:36:45 AM

His generation don't trust computers or anything to do with them.

Yup. He's too old to learn and too old to change. His habits are related to fiat, how could he trust in something he cannot touch?
Instead, we are the "online" generation, that already know that computers can "make money", in various ways.

Also, if we would think like he does, we would not be here.

No, I don't think Buffet is right.

█████████████████████████
████▐██▄█████████████████
████▐██████▄▄▄███████████
████▐████▄█████▄▄████████
████▐█████▀▀▀▀▀███▄██████
████▐███▀████████████████
████▐█████████▄█████▌████
████▐██▌█████▀██████▌████
████▐██████████▀████▌████
█████▀███▄█████▄███▀█████
███████▀█████████▀███████
██████████▀███▀██████████
█████████████████████████
BC.GAME
▄▄░░░▄▀▀▄████████
▄▄▄
██████████████
█████░░▄▄▄▄████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄██████▄▄▄▄████
▄███▄█▄▄██████████▄████▄████
███████████████████████████▀███
▀████▄██▄██▄░░░░▄████████████
▀▀▀█████▄▄▄███████████▀██
███████████████████▀██
███████████████████▄██
▄███████████████████▄██
█████████████████████▀██
██████████████████████▄
..CASINO....SPORTS....RACING..
█░░░░░░█░░░░░░█
▀███▀░░▀███▀░░▀███▀
▀░▀░░░░▀░▀░░░░▀░▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░█░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
░█░██░░███░░░█░██
░█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀

▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀███▄
██████████
▀███▄░▄██▀
▄▄████▄▄░▀█▀▄██▀▄▄████▄▄
▄███▀▀▀████▄▄██▀▄███▀▀███▄
███████▄▄▀▀████▄▄▀▀███████
▀███▄▄███▀░░░▀▀████▄▄▄███▀
▀▀████▀▀████████▀▀████▀▀
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1353

CoinPoker.com

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:37:29 AM

He also said it could not be trusted because "this Satoshi guy" could have hidden something in the code to steal your coins. Warren Buffet does not know dick about bitcoin. Why would he?

If "this Satoshi guy" hid some code to steal our coins, he/she/they could have probably done that when bitcoin's price reached $1200.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: