Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 01:03:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Machines and money  (Read 12763 times)
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 01:50:42 AM

Artificial intelligence and the fridge
http://on.ft.com/1zSz2tw

In science fiction, this scenario — called “singularity” or “transcendence” — usually leads to robot versus human war and a contest for world domination.
But what if, rather than a physical battle, it was an economic one, with robots siphoning off our money or destroying the global economy with out-of-control algorithmic trading programmes? Perhaps it will not make for a great movie, but it seems the more likely outcome.

With Bitcoin, it's hard to see the downside. DACs (decentralize autonomous companies) are inevitable. This article is another vestige of irrational fear about money.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
hua_hui
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1016

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 02:19:43 AM

when the time comes, we will manage the balance between the robot and human. Now our focus should be developing Artificial intelligence.  The scenario you mentioned should be in science fiction now.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:01:43 AM

i could see a machines race take the advantage because of bitcoin, and digital payment in general, they could start their own mech-coin, that probably will be way above in superiority versus bitcoin, could use a new revolutionary protocol

i love machines actually they are so precise and powerful
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:03:32 AM

In science fiction, this scenario — called “singularity” or “transcendence” — usually leads to robot versus human war and a contest for world domination.
But what if, rather than a physical battle, it was an economic one, with robots siphoning off our money or destroying the global economy with out-of-control algorithmic trading programmes? Perhaps it will not make for a great movie, but it seems the more likely outcome.

With Bitcoin, it's hard to see the downside. DACs (decentralize autonomous companies) are inevitable. This article is another vestige of irrational fear about money.

What would be the benefit to computers? A destroyed global economy makes no difference to them.
I also disagree that there will ever be a Human vs Computer battle for survival, once computers are at that stage, we have already lost any potential battle with them.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 08:14:47 AM

when the time comes, we will manage the balance between the robot and human. Now our focus should be developing Artificial intelligence.  The scenario you mentioned should be in science fiction now.
I would also like to find such fiction. I have been working on a book about this for awhile now. Hopefully my take on the subject is unique.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
neoneros

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
March 05, 2015, 02:14:39 PM

If computers take over they will create a virtual world where humans are not allowed. But the joke is on them, humans are not virtual.

It was Arthur C Clarke who said that like religion and labor, science will get rid of the economy as well.

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 02:18:45 PM

I understand the question behind the story, but its kind of insanely placed in the story of a fridge-the wolf of wall street. There will surely be advancements in our everyday lives,
but alot of the changes already happened, and there is no issues with those. Its not too hard to adapt, since its happening one step at a time.
In my opinion, the article too far fetched, derived from an unrealistic fear of future technology.

cheers
dothebeats
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1353

View Profile
March 05, 2015, 05:16:42 PM

I understand the question behind the story, but its kind of insanely placed in the story of a fridge-the wolf of wall street. There will surely be advancements in our everyday lives,
but alot of the changes already happened, and there is no issues with those. Its not too hard to adapt, since its happening one step at a time.
In my opinion, the article too far fetched, derived from an unrealistic fear of future technology.

cheers

But it still is probable to happen. It's been proven that uncontrolled advancements often leads to destruction, just like what happened to the nature itself. The article only looks upon the different scenarios that may happen, though an unlikely one.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 02:28:11 AM

If computers take over they will create a virtual world where humans are not allowed. But the joke is on them, humans are not virtual.

It was Arthur C Clarke who said that like religion and labor, science will get rid of the economy as well.

Clarke was an old school when they didn't need teleportation and psychic power gimmicks. He kept up with scientific research.

Snipe85

Activity: 756

Infleum

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:18:35 AM

Machines will take over and due automation most jobs will not be needed for human labor to intervene, thing is this is a good thing since we don't have to work unless we are qualified to, but of course this rises fundamental problems that need to be addressed.
Actually more problems than one may think. People are already losing jobs because machines are faster and never sleep. Imagine a world where machines are doing everything for you. How would you be able to find a job in a world where robot designers and programmers are the only ones needed, since manufacture and repairs can be done by other robots.

Let's say we don't need jobs, how will we redistribute wealth and decide which unemployed guy should get more money? Maybe we won't need money anymore? That would be something Roll Eyes

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 06:08:45 AM

Just don't give your fridge your private key and you should be ok!

Haha, read much about the Internet of Things? It's scary stuff at first glance, but then again so was the "horseless carriage" and automobiles when the first started zipping around the streets. Remember that big changes like this happen in very practical ways, which allow us all to get used to the idea much faster.

(I'm not talking about robots taking our money but about allowing intelligence in machines without worry that they'll take our money!)

Bonam

Activity: 420

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 06:37:32 AM

To answer the original question... you can't destroy the economy, so I'm not worried. You can destroy the financial system, but not the economy. So long as some people want things that other people have, and are willing to pay for them, there will be an economy.

As for people being put out of work by machines.... this is already happening and has been a continual trend. There won't be any one moment when suddenly machines replace everyone, but just the slow gradual automation of various tasks that we have been living with for decades now.
neoneros

Activity: 462

I can draw your avatar!

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 08:03:27 AM

To answer the original question... you can't destroy the economy, so I'm not worried. You can destroy the financial system, but not the economy. So long as some people want things that other people have, and are willing to pay for them, there will be an economy.

As for people being put out of work by machines.... this is already happening and has been a continual trend. There won't be any one moment when suddenly machines replace everyone, but just the slow gradual automation of various tasks that we have been living with for decades now.

But what if machines can provide enough for everyone? Anything?

Need food? Poof, your machine provides
Need alcohol, drugs, love? poof, poof, poof.
You're machine broke? There's a repair machine on its way..

the future is as simple as that. Mayby the economy will still exist, but in the virtual world of the machines. Humans will have gone beyond those earthly concepts and evolved in a more higher species.

tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:31:47 AM

But what if machines can provide enough for everyone? Anything?

Need food? Poof, your machine provides
Need alcohol, drugs, love? poof, poof, poof.
You're machine broke? There's a repair machine on its way..

the future is as simple as that. Mayby the economy will still exist, but in the virtual world of the machines. Humans will have gone beyond those earthly concepts and evolved in a more higher species.

Human greed is limitless, human desires are insatiable, but just human envy alone would waste any machine in less than no time.
zetaray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:52:14 AM

Human fighting for survival against computers is not pure science fiction. Computers are an integral part of our lives now. They can cause catastrophic disasters if they malfunction or infected by a sleeper virus. We are not at the stage where AI can think on it's own, we could be in a few decades.

.CryptoTotal.com.
                              l█████████▇▀
                              ████████▇▀
                              ███████▇▀
                              ██████▇▀
                              █████▇▀
                              ████▇▀
                              ███▇▀
                              ██▇▀
                              █▇▀
                              ▇▀
▇▇
▇▇

Express.Crypto.Checkout
Accepts Multiple Cryptos
Worldwide Shipping
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:53:52 AM

Human fighting for survival against computers is not pure science fiction. Computers are an integral part of our lives now. They can cause catastrophic disasters if they malfunction or infected by a sleeper virus. We are not at the stage where AI can think on it's own, we could be in a few decades.

Imagine we get to a point where a robot society could live side by side with us through artificial intelligence. It could be both catastrophic or the best thing to ever happen to us.
dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 12:21:57 PM

Imagine we get to a point where a robot society could live side by side with us through artificial intelligence. It could be both catastrophic or the best thing to ever happen to us.

I want it to live with a robot run by AI that I can treat like any other normal human being. With that said, I'm hoping for a Utopian future together with machines.
dothebeats
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 01:17:49 PM

I want it to live with a robot run by AI that I can treat like any other normal human being. With that said, I'm hoping for a Utopian future together with machines.
You wouldn't like that. If a person goes crazy you have a decent chance to fight him and protect yourself. If a 300kg robot, that doesn't feel pain, goes crazy you can only hide and pray.

But I still want to experience that! Haha jk. If that scenario could be prevented, that will be nice.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 11:51:00 PM

You wouldn't like that. If a person goes crazy you have a decent chance to fight him and protect yourself. If a 300kg robot, that doesn't feel pain, goes crazy you can only hide and pray.

But I still want to experience that! Haha jk. If that scenario could be prevented, that will be nice.
Well not live to see true AI... true AI is something too insane to think off within today's knowledge, I think we aren't even close. But things are getting scary with robots, look at the Petman darpa robot.
cbeast (OP)
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:47:36 AM

Human greed is limitless, human desires are insatiable, but just human envy alone would waste any machine in less than no time.
I guess it comes down to who can be greediest, man or machine?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: