Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 05:30:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bryce Weiner attempted to tip ISIS!?  (Read 6531 times)
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:41:35 PM

Great way to be prosecuted for funding terrorism and sheds negative light on Bitcoin. Bravo.
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:00:07 AM

They've been using BTC for some time to raise funding for the terrorist activities.

They've also started selling antique and historical pieces from museums that they claim 'doesn't represent Islam' and whatnot.

Wow.  Do you have the links to where we will find that? Sounds interesting.

Yes please do provide a link because i do not believe it these guys take over banks and oil fields what do they need with bitcoin? The price is far to low for them to have been in it. What i think you are confused with is scammers pretending to be them and taking coin from the fools that is the thing with fools they will be parted with their money unfortunately. 

There are quite a few articles. A simple search online will bring you quite a few sources. Here are just a few.
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/14/how-does-isis-fund-its-reign-terror-282607.html

http://securityintelligence.com/isis-are-they-using-bitcoins-to-fund-criminal-activities/#.VPo_gMXgHa8

http://m.benzinga.com/article/5195010
sAt0sHiFanClub

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Warning: Confrmed Gavinista

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 05:42:18 AM
Last edit: March 09, 2015, 06:07:57 AM by sAt0sHiFanClub

They've been using BTC for some time to raise funding for the terrorist activities.

They've also started selling antique and historical pieces from museums that they claim 'doesn't represent Islam' and whatnot.

Yes please do provide a link because i do not believe it these guys take over banks and oil fields what do they need with bitcoin? The price is far to low for them to have been in it. What i think you are confused with is scammers pretending to be them and taking coin from the fools that is the thing with fools they will be parted with their money unfortunately. 

There are quite a few articles. A simple search online will bring you quite a few sources. Here are just a few.
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/14/how-does-isis-fund-its-reign-terror-282607.html

http://securityintelligence.com/isis-are-they-using-bitcoins-to-fund-criminal-activities/#.VPo_gMXgHa8

From the first article:
despite ISIS’s dependence on high technology, the group does not yet appear to be using virtual currencies like Bitcoin to avoid engaging with the global financial system

That alone would suggest you are wrong in your original assertion?

But in your defense, from the last article:

The firm says the ISIS group had already received roughly $1,150 worth of bitcoins before the account was shut down by the FBI.

We should ignore all other sources and concentrate on this. its obviously key. :-)

Can you agree that Bitcoin is NOT a source of funding for ISIS?  The US dollar is.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 06:13:27 AM

From the first article:
despite ISIS’s dependence on high technology, the group does not yet appear to be using virtual currencies like Bitcoin to avoid engaging with the global financial system

That alone would suggest you are wrong in your original assertion?

But in your defense, from the last article:

The firm says the ISIS group had already received roughly $1,150 worth of bitcoins before the account was shut down by the FBI.

We should ignore all other sources and concentrate on this. its obviously key. :-)

Can you agree that Bitcoin is NOT a source of funding for ISIS?  The US dollar is.

Sorry, I didn't read all the articles. I simply copied the first few links from a quick search.
If you really want I could probably find some more accurate news articles.

Anyway, on your last point. Yes, IS ARENT receiving anywhere near as much as we'd expect from BTC however, it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.
As it stands currently, it's probably true that most their funding comes from the dollar due to the oil and petrol they've been selling.
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 09:42:08 AM

[Bitcoin].. it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.

Ah, I see what you did there.  Grin  No evidence of this either?

Like I said earlier, the issue is the actual funding of Islamists in general. There is no point looking to blame Bitcoin, or in some way cite it in the rise of Isalmist teror. Thats just plain deception.

I mean, are you not outraged at the opening of oil exports out of Libya, from ports in the hands of current and former rebel leaders (Ibrahim Jathran for one) and a 'rival' prime minister with known links to Islamists (Omar al-Hassi)? Billions of dollars going directly to the Libyan central bank, and then to Islamists?

For what? So the price of a gallon of gas at the pumps is 30 cents cheaper. Now that, my friend, is something to be outraged over before being upset by some fools who misguidedly donate a few satoshi.

We must make money worse as a commodity if we wish to make it better as a medium of exchange
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 09:57:00 AM

[Bitcoin].. it's something which they're slowly trying to use at an increased rate.

Like I said earlier, the issue is the actual funding of Islamists in general. There is no point looking to blame Bitcoin, or in some way cite it in the rise of Isalmist teror. Thats just plain deception.

I mean, are you not outraged at the opening of oil exports out of Libya, from ports in the hands of current and former rebel leaders (Ibrahim Jathran for one) and a 'rival' prime minister with known links to Islamists (Omar al-Hassi)? Billions of dollars going directly to the Libyan central bank, and then to Islamists?

For what? So the price of a gallon of gas at the pumps is 30 cents cheaper. Now that, my friend, is something to be outraged over before being upset by some fools who misguidedly donate a few satoshi.

I'm not mad at Bitcoin at all. I'm very pro BTC. What I don't like is people abusing the freedom it offers for certain purposes.
This isn't a case of someone who accidentally tried to tip ISIS. The fact that whatever point he was trying to make shouldn't have been made with involving a terrorist organisation such as ISIS.
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 10:16:27 AM

I'm not mad at Bitcoin at all. I'm very pro BTC. What I don't like is people abusing the freedom it offers for certain purposes.
This isn't a case of someone who accidentally tried to tip ISIS. The fact that whatever point he was trying to make shouldn't have been made with involving a terrorist organisation such as ISIS.

I didnt say accidentally. I said 'Misguidedly'.

I agree, but freedom cannot be conditional. You are either free to choose, or you are not. In an ideal world, there would be no ISIS to choose, but that is the reality we have engineered by doing business with them.

But at least his actions have opened up this debate, which is a good thing.

mistercoin
Legendary

Activity: 1044
Merit: 1000

https://r.honeygain.me/XEDDM2B07C

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

http://www.coindesk.com/changetip-user-banned-isis/

Not sure what to make of this.
I understand the point he was making (see coin desk article) but think that what he did or attempted to do does not justify it.
BTC has a mixed picture in the outside world. This only portrays it worse not to mention the effect that supporting terrorists can have!

What do you think?

I think he is an absolute and utter moron. Even if he was 'joking' albeit bland, humorless and just wrong, if ISIS wanted something to fuck around with next, I think they might take a bite now that this moron presented it....

QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:13:06 PM

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard someone say in serious conversation, "We support free speech within the confines of the current laws." That's like saying, we support free speech just not really really free speech. 

Change tip kind of sucks huh, "The company's terms and conditions provide it the authority to block assets, deactivate or cancel offending user accounts or transfer bitcoin from a user's account should they be found in violation of this policy."

onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:16:43 PM

This is the funniest thing I've ever heard someone say in serious conversation, "We support free speech within the confines of the current laws." That's like saying, we support free speech just not really really free speech. 

isn't this what all democratic governments claim?
but yes... its laughable...

IMHO i think self-censorship is worse than a government one (though it seems to me gov-censorship start and after a while people self-censor themselves).

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
abyrnes81

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:19:48 PM

Is he stupid? This is a bad advertising for bitcoin. I hope he will stop here and make the excuse to all the bitcoin community. Why does not he delete the tweet ?  *https://twitter.com/BryceWeiner/status/571815231598534656 and this is the copy of the page https://archive.today/raER2 .
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:30:28 PM

While I personally hate ISIS and I think they are barbarians, savages and idiots. I think that if he Bryce Weiner of whoever in general wants to tip them he is free to do so. He will be labeled as supporter of terrorists of course but it is his free will. I am sure he did it only for the publicity tho. And he succeeded apparently.
abyrnes81

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 01:56:23 PM

While I personally hate ISIS and I think they are barbarians, savages and idiots. I think that if he Bryce Weiner of whoever in general wants to tip them he is free to do so. He will be labeled as supporter of terrorists of course but it is his free will. I am sure he did it only for the publicity tho. And he succeeded apparently.

Yes of course. Everyone is free to do whatever he wants, but tip terrorists is not a good choice. Now I think he is monitored by the Police or maybe also by the CIA. He has made this thing (maybe) only for advertise bitcoin, but this is not the good way for make these things.
shogdite

Activity: 798

LIR Dev. www.letitride.io

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:23:59 PM

Seems like a crazy thing to do, no doubt he'll be added on a few watchlists Smiley

Not really ideal associating bitcoin with ISIS either but hey ho, we'll always have bad apples.

▀▀█████████▀████████████████▄
                        ████▄      ▄████████████████
                     ▄██████▀  ▄  ███████████████████
                  ▄█████████▄████▄███████████████████
                ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████
                                               ▀▀███▀
    ▄█▀█       ▄▀  ▄▀▀█  ▄▀   █████████████████▄ ██▀         ▄▀█
   ▄█ ▄▀      ▀█▀ █▀ █▀ ▀█▀  ███████████████████ █▀ ▀▀      ▄▀▄▀
  ▄█    ▄███  █     █   █   ████████████████████  ▄█     ▄▀▀██▀ ▄███
███▄▄▄  █▄▄▄ █▄▄ ▄▄▀   █▄▄ ██████████████████▀▀   █▄▄ ▄▄ █▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▄▄
                           ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                            ▀▀█████████████▄
                                █████████████▄
                                  █████████████▄
                                    ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀
                                      ▀████▀
                                        ▀█▀
LetItRideINNOVATIVE ▬▬▬
DICE GAME
                        ▄███████████▄
                       ██  ██████████▄
                     ▄█████████████  ██▄
            ▄▄▀█▄▄▄▄▄████████████████████▄
        ▄▄█▀   ███████████  █████  ████  █
    ▄██████ ▄▄███████████████████████████▀
 ▄▀▀ ██████████████████████████  ████  █
█  ▄███████████▀▀▀█████████████████████
██████████████    ████████▀▀██████  █▀
██████████████▄▄▄██████████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███▀ ▀██████████████████████
██    ███████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████████████████
██████████████▀   ██████████
  █████████████   ▄██████▀▀
     ▀▀██████████████▀▀
         ▀▀██████▀▀
PROVABLY
F A I R
▄█████████████▀ ▄█
██            ▄█▀
██          ▄██ ▄█
██ ▄█▄    ▄███  ██
██ ▀███▄ ▄███   ██
██  ▀███████    ██
██    █████     ██
██     ███      ██
██      ▀       ██
██              ██
▀████████████████▀
BUY  BACK
PLANS
[BTC]
AT101ET (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 03:18:17 PM

It seems from responses here that there's mixed feelings regarding his actions.
Freedom of speech is one thing however, I believe that if people want to exercise their rights they have to abide to the laws of the country they're dwelling in.
People may not like the way that governments govern society but ultimately without a governing body they'd be total havoc. In the most part, rules and laws are made to be kept for our own benefit.
Yes freedom of speech is important, however, when it comes to something like this (funding terrorism) I think a boundary has been crossed.
It's kind of like someone complaining about the ethnicity and beliefs of a country he lives in. By no means does he have to have the same beliefs and he can voice his opinions freely. However, instead of acting out and seeking to destroy a working system he should just leave and find a place that suits him better.
J. J. Phillips

Activity: 518

Islam and Nazism are belief systems, not races.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 06:16:55 PM

There's a cultural issue at play here. It's common for people involved in cryptocurrency to disapprove of many of the responses to jihad. They often complain about the invasion of privacy and loss of liberty. I agree with all of this. However, many people seem to have a problem believing that it's possible to disapprove of these responses while at the same time believing jihad is a very real and very serious problem. People new to the community probably pick up on these cues and see it's popular to complain about the response to jihad and that it's unpopular to say jihad is real. This naturally leads some people to say jihad isn't real -- that "jihadi" violence is all just a response to how terrible "we" are. I've heard Bryce Weiner (and other people in crypto I could name) make excuses for jihadis along these lines. I don't remember exactly what he said, just that I stopped the video right after he said it and thought, "What a goddamn idiot." The only video I'll watch of him in the future is if he's being beheaded by jihadis.

So I'm not surprised at all that Weiner felt comfortable donating to ISIS. He probably considers them "freedom fighters" against the real bad guys in the world. I am pleasantly surprised there hasn't been more support for ISIS in this thread.

While I'm not a big fan of Christianity, the infamous Luke Jr. may have done Bitcoin a big favor by writing Catholic prayers into the Bitcoin blockchain. People should spread the word that it's in there. If Bitcoin were to be declared haram, jihadis could move on to a halal altcoin.

I support terrorism every time I pay taxes

Then you should do one of two things:

1) Vote to change the government you live under to not be the "terrorists" you think they are, or
2) Move to a place where the government is one that you don't deem as "terrorists"

In most societies, taxes paid are due to the fact that the citizens have voted to pay those taxes. If you don't agree with those taxes do something to organize your citizens to vote the taxes away or don't live in that jurisdiction.

Why do people feel they are so helpless?

Option 2 is good for most people in the world (including Canadians like me), but from what I've read it doesn't apply to Americans. The U.S. government still demands taxes from its citizens if they move away. They also demand huge "exit taxes" to give up citizenship. (Read about Roger Ver's case.) Basically, if you're an American and you don't want to pay taxes to support lots of very bad things, the only realistic option is suicide.

If Israel is destroyed, I will devote the rest of my life to the extermination of the human species. Any species that goes down this road again less than 100 years after the holocaust needs to be fucking wiped out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Affair_of_the_Gang_of_Barbarians
Ilan Halimi: tortured and murdered in France by barbarian Jew haters who'd be very comfortable here at bitcointalk.
nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 8035

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 08:36:29 PM

Send him to GITMO or else execution for treason. His choice.

▄▄███████▄▄
▄██████████████▄
▄██████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀█████▄
▄█████████████▄█▀████▄
███████████▄███████████
██████████▄█▀███████████
██████████▀████████████
▀█████▄█▀█████████████▀
▀████▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄████▀
▀██████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 MΞTAWIN  THE FIRST WEB3 CASINO   
.. PLAY NOW ..
sAt0sHiFanClub

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 09:34:50 PM

There's a cultural issue at play here.

It's also a perspective thing.

Where do you stand on this guy? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Sufian_bin_Qumu

If we had bitcoin back in 1980's, would you have supported this Jihadist against the russkies? Or would that have been bad, although the US government supported them ( and boycotted the olympic games to boot)

Or how about his 'rehabilitation' after guantanimo? Or when he took up the Jihadist cudgel again ( with US support) ? He more than likely blew up the embassy in Benghazi. Now, where do people stand viz. treason when the state is involved?

I'm speaking in generalities, btw, this applies to all nations that empower these animals in the interests of commerce.

worth

Activity: 558

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 02:57:16 AM

Send him to GITMO or else execution for treason. His choice.

So wait. You're suggesting he should be either tortured or murdered for sending $1 to someone?  That sounds like a completely rational and reasonable response. 

You know, ISIS would probably approve of your methods and disregard for free speech.  Roll Eyes

Has he ever commented on why he did this and tipped the ISIS for nothing ?

He talked about it on DogeCoinDark Radio on Friday.  The episode will presumably appear in the archives in a few days after post-production:

http://dogecoindark.net/radio/archives.html

One thing it did was get Twitter to notice and shut down an ISIS-related account that they'd missed...
ShintoshiBTC

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

YOU"RE LIKE A TIMEBOMB!

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 03:00:15 AM

http://www.coindesk.com/changetip-user-banned-isis/

Not sure what to make of this.
I understand the point he was making (see coin desk article) but think that what he did or attempted to do does not justify it.
BTC has a mixed picture in the outside world. This only portrays it worse not to mention the effect that supporting terrorists can have!

What do you think?

I think he didnt attempt, he did sent them so btc.
http://bitforum.info/t/fbi-arrested-teenager-for-assisting-isis-recruitment/383/1
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: