Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:59:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are no anonymous altcoins being widely utilized?  (Read 5285 times)
stonehedge
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1002

Decentralize Everything

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 01:16:42 PM

Navajo hasn't even launched the anon function yet.

Darkcoin didn't have Darksend from the start.

Shadowcash is waiting for its secuirity and code review to happen.

Only a few (possibly 2) offer robust and proven anon functionality but this will surely change.
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pc888
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1000

https://bata.io

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 01:44:47 PM

There is a whole announcement on it so why am I going to waste my time repeating here

Why would anyone waste time and resources attacking crapcoins

You are all talk.

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 02:22:34 PM

Do BitShares Titan transactions qualify as anonymous?

At least no one can see the amount you hold in your account name, even if they know it.

Yes, they are fully anonymous. Only the sender and receiver know the parties involved, everyone else can only see the amounts being sent.
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 02:53:23 PM

Bitshares is anonymous, and is ranked no. 4 on coinmarketcap.

This !

Yes, if someone is interested in premined coins
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 02:57:55 PM

Do BitShares Titan transactions qualify as anonymous?

At least no one can see the amount you hold in your account name, even if they know it.

Yes, they are fully anonymous. Only the sender and receiver know the parties involved, everyone else can only see the amounts being sent.

Titan is not "fully anonymous" it is just stealth addresses, which an automated way of not reusing addresses. Every transaction is fully traceable, just like Bitcoin.

Bitshares is supposedly going to add mixing in some manner, but I don't know the details.

Anyway, to answer the original question, the main reason I think is that cryptocurrencies as a whole have not "taken off", and certainly not over the past year or less since the anon coins have been around. Everything that is happening now is still either speculation or early stage startup businesses hoping to make it big in the future. Bitcoin is the oldest, largest and most mature in terms of infrastructure, so naturally it is the largest, but even BTC is tiny by comparison to the fiat economy. Naturally the newer less mature coins are going to be much smaller.

Also the price-per-coin is pretty irrelevant to anything.

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 03:38:39 PM

Titan is not "fully anonymous" it is just stealth addresses, which an automated way of not reusing addresses. Every transaction is fully traceable, just like Bitcoin.

How are they traceable?
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:25:07 PM

How are they traceable?

There is no ambiguity as to source or destination at all. If you send me a coin I can see where that coin came from and where it came from before that. Likewise if I send you a coin I can see when and where you spent. If I've ever dealt with those people (or do in the future) I will likely see the relevant connections as coins are combined and change is returned. If I happen to be a large economic actor such as an exchange, payment processor, etc. I may well have dealt with a huge number of participants and be able to identify many of them.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread on bitsharestalk or whatever your forum is called where bytemaster explains this and acknowledges that TITAN isn't really intended as a full anonymity solution but more of user-friendly incremental improvement over reused addresses. I've seen that thread before but I couldn't find it just now.

neuronics

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 04:52:35 PM

How are they traceable?

There is no ambiguity as to source or destination at all. If you send me a coin I can see where that coin came from and where it came from before that. Likewise if I send you a coin I can see when and where you spent. If I've ever dealt with those people (or do in the future) I will likely see the relevant connections as coins are combined and change is returned. If I happen to be a large economic actor such as an exchange, payment processor, etc. I may well have dealt with a huge number of participants and be able to identify many of them.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread on bitsharestalk or whatever your forum is called where bytemaster explains this and acknowledges that TITAN isn't really intended as a full anonymity solution but more of user-friendly incremental improvement over reused addresses. I've seen that thread before but I couldn't find it just now.

You are right:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.msg98157#msg98157
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 04:53:59 PM

How are they traceable?

You are right:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=7374.msg98157#msg98157

Yes that's exactly the one I remember. Good job finding it.
c789 (OP)

Activity: 850

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 05:45:53 PM

My main desire to see one or more anonymous altcoins succeed has nothing to do with criminal activity and everything to do with privacy. Comments by BCwinning and Shrikez struck a chord with me. Whether by governments, corporations, or hackers, so much of what we do is being monitored and recorded. I think that almost any product that offers increased privacy will be in much greater demand soon. We can see this demand growing already in products like VPNs and even the growing popularity of Tor. And since I see that demand growing in so many places, it led to my initial question of why anonymous altcoins which can offer privacy don't seem to be taking off.

Thanks for all of your replies. Several of you pointed out some things I wasn't aware of and I will look further into those.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
MisO69
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005

My mule don't like people laughing

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:12:27 PM

Bitshares is anonymous, and is ranked no. 4 on coinmarketcap.

This !

Yes, if someone is interested in premined coins

Bitshares is not premined. It was mined as protoshares and then the wealth was transfered to bitshares along with their crowdfunded angelshares.

Piston Honda
Legendary

Activity: 2702
Merit: 1064

Juicin' crypto

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:20:51 PM

because it's overhyped, useless (for the MOST part, but not entirely) and associated with the 'dark or negative' side of crypto and bitcoin.  not to mention many "devs" who try to make anon coins happen are doing a poor job of it (except maybe Darkcoin), and even then real world/mass adoption will be difficult to attain.

you want a coin/coins that are going to actually take off?  stick to anything that has mass market, mainstream appeal that has no 'dark side' connection.  coins that target real world business use are probably great bets, along with your usual mainstream type directed coins for "real world everyday people" usage kinda thing.

$ADK ~ watch & learn...
BCwinning

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:28:48 PM

none of you even mentioned bitcoindark. Which I think has something going for it right now.
darkcoin is a scam imnsho, monero is a lame name that I will never use on principal. and the fact the users irritate the piss out of me with all their shilling.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
drm
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:35:42 PM

I think anon tech is good to have in this day and age tbh.

none of you even mentioned bitcoindark. Which I think has something going for it right now.
darkcoin is a scam imnsho, monero is a lame name that I will never use on principal. and the fact the users irritate the piss out of me with all their shilling.

teleport is  underrated imo. btcd and all supernet core coins vrc/opal/bbr etc will have amazing anon tech.
BitcoiNaked

Activity: 456
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 08:37:13 PM

Because its overrated and majority doesn't care about it and those who care use cash.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 10:37:11 PM

So, why do no altcoins which feature anonymity have a price over 10 USD? And why are they not more widely utilized?

Good question.  The answer is:

Darkcoin's early boom and bust, driven by erratic hype rather than crypto tech, set back the entire sector.

Nobody but a fanboy is going to trust delicate compromised layers of unproven 'Masternodes' to keep them out of jail or otherwise safe from the JBTs.

The anon sector is healing from the damage done by DRK, as it awaits Monero to be ReadyTM.

Darkmarkets and other privacy-sensitive entities will jump on XMR's train when the fiat exchange, database, GUI, emission halving, and multisig are done.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Lorenzo

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:35:34 AM

It seems like there is a big demand for anonymity, and not just for nefarious purposes. The altcoins which offer anonymity, ranging from Anoncoin to the CryptoNote coins, have never really taken off. The ability to make anonymous transactions with any number of altcoins is available, but nobody seems to be using them on a sizable scale.

So, why do no altcoins which feature anonymity have a price over 10 USD? And why are they not more widely utilized? And please, let's not turn this into another "why X altcoin is better than Y altcoin" thread: I would just like to know why none of them have been widely utilized.

Disclosure: I have a handful of each of the CryptoNote coins and Anoncoins, but mainly use/invest in BTC.

Thanks for your opinions.

Anonymity was a fad. Not a pure fad like the animal coins or the country coins since it did have an actual real-world use that Bitcoin hasn't quite yet mastered as well as an active userbase that found such features useful but speculators blew it out of proportion compared to the actual demand that existed at the time. For 99% of people, Bitcoin is "anonymous enough" and this percentage rises further once mixers and tech like Dark Wallet are taken into account. Yet Darkcoin's market cap rose from $2.5 million to $65 million in 50 days. Monero's market cap sextupled in the same time. That sort of trend is unsustainable. There will be a time when their market caps rise again but the initial craze was unsustainable.

Also you're missing Darkcoin - which has been the most successful anonymous coin. Monero is actually the more anonymous coin however, although the CryptoNote protocol that it uses has a few problems of its own as well.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 10:17:06 AM

Because its overrated and majority doesn't care about it and those who care use cash.

If people "use cash" they will want to "use cash" online too. That is inevitable.

If you say people are comfortable with everything be tracked and traced that's one thing. But once you acknowledge the need for cash, the need for anon online has to be there too, for all the same reasons, and some others too.

I agree with the past few comments that it got ahead of itself and blown out of proportion by speculators.

Basically this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hype_cycle
child_harold

Activity: 812

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 01:49:10 PM

Its just a matter of time before they are…
Shadows lengthening…

Only 2 coins?
Yes, there are dozens of anon shitcoins too. Research yourself carefully.

He did.

ffmad
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 01:59:42 PM

anonymity IS required on the blockchain

why ?

As you may know (or maybe not), companies like IBM & Samsung are making an Internet of Things working with blockchain (in their case, they use an Ethereum fork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1XOPIqyP7A)

Imagine in some years when every connected object use the blockchain, do people really want to have all their data visible by everyone ?

The answer is obviously ... No. That's why we need a shadow/dark blockchain, something to protect our privacy in the fully connected world that is ahead.

Maybe the shadow blockchain use is not so big at the moment, but in the future it will be only more and more useful

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
████▀                  ▀████
███▀   ▄████████████▄   ▀███
███    ██████████████    ███
███    ████      ████    ███
███    ██████████████    ███
███    █████████████▀   ▄███
███    ████            ▄████
██    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████