Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:26:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitpay just lost me as a customer after two years  (Read 1038 times)
Grix (OP)

Activity: 536
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2015, 06:23:18 PM

So I am a bit sad but mostly disappointed and annoyed right now. A few days ago Bitpay changed their compliance scheme, they lowered my volume limits to something far too low for my store, and required a bunch of paperwork to bump it back up that I do not have. Mostly documentation regarding registered businesses, but I am not a registered business. It is legal for me to operate my store at this scale in my country, as it qualifies as a hobby rather than pure business, something the tax office have confirmed. But Bitpay denied my application even after me explaining this, so I am forced to change payment processor.

This is not what bitcoin is about. Bitcoin is supposed to enable people, not limit them even more than traditional payment systems. I have used Paypal for a long time and even though my volume there is higher than Bitpay's was, they never demanded such documentation. It's frankly complete bullshit.

/rant

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jbrnt

Activity: 672

View Profile
March 06, 2015, 07:00:29 PM

This is why we should use bitcoin and forgot all the corporate bureaucracy. Start a webshop yourself or sell your stuff on CryptoThrift.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 12:14:40 AM

This is not what bitcoin is about. Bitcoin is supposed to enable people, not limit them even more than traditional payment systems. I have used Paypal for a long time and even though my volume there is higher than Bitpay's was, they never demanded such documentation. It's frankly complete bullshit.

True, but aren't you using Bitpay to convert to local fiat? Feel free to accept bitcoins directly for any amount for any purpose you want. You can do that with bitcoin.

But I can see how Bitpay doesn't understand the local laws in all countries. Keep trying to show them that you're operating legally in your jurisdiction. I hope they reconsider.

Buy & Hold
Grix (OP)

Activity: 536

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 09:16:36 AM

True, but aren't you using Bitpay to convert to local fiat?

No, I am not. I withdraw the settlement in bitcoin. I need a payment processor for security and convenience purposes.

BTC: 1Fahk2aa4NS4Qds4VDAL4mpNArDEdV2K5K
LaserShowGen Laser Show Software
Helios Laser Show Hardware
rammy2k2
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:58:59 AM

hire a programmer and u're done.
Syke
Legendary

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 04:02:16 PM

No, I am not. I withdraw the settlement in bitcoin. I need a payment processor for security and convenience purposes.

Ah, well then if Bitpay won't do it for you, there are lots of other solutions.

Buy & Hold
monbux
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2015, 04:15:31 PM

So I am a bit sad but mostly disappointed and annoyed right now. A few days ago Bitpay changed their compliance scheme, they lowered my volume limits to something far too low for my store, and required a bunch of paperwork to bump it back up that I do not have. Mostly documentation regarding registered businesses, but I am not a registered business. It is legal for me to operate my store at this scale in my country, as it qualifies as a hobby rather than pure business, something the tax office have confirmed. But Bitpay denied my application even after me explaining this, so I am forced to change payment processor.

/rant

What did you expect?  companies like these want control, this is how they are going to get it. :-/  Honestly it would be cool if someone just created a payment system that has no restrictions or fees, running based off donations.
dmatthewstewart

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 07:04:44 PM

hire a programmer and u're done.

Matter of fact, I bet you could find one that would do it very cheap or even free. As long as they are a BTC believer like us.

/rant

What did you expect?  companies like these want control, this is how they are going to get it. :-/  Honestly it would be cool if someone just created a payment system that has no restrictions or fees, running based off donations.

The only upside to Bitpay is that it is fast. Other than that I never liked the idea. I was really hoping that everyone who started to accept BTC would create a script(s) to work with their website; create unique address, when invoice amount matches, and address matches, issue invoice and send email to customer. Its really not that difficult. Bitpay gained momentum at the exact right time and jsut sort of rested on their laurels...if thats what you could call them.

Syke
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:37:46 AM

There are several open source e-commerce sites that have bitcoin-related plugins available.

Buy & Hold
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:51:26 AM

Donation system is not good on the long run. While some people will be generous and will be willing to share, or give even more than they need to. The big part of network would never contribute anything. That is why you can base on donation any successful economy.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 02:34:49 AM

After having (and I thought solving for good) too many verification issues in the past, they're now making the 501(c)(3) non-profit (dis)organization I signed up go through way too many new compliance steps that only make sense if you're a for-profit. Went a few rounds with Bitpay's "Client Operations Engineer" over this latest nonsense before our local treasurer's mom died and she had to go back to her home country to deal with that rather than Bitpay's shit.

In the meantime, an $18 donation is stuck, and the account is locked so can't throw another $2 their way to get it unstuck ($20 minimum to send to their bank).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 02:21:42 AM

Does the new company named "Circle" offer the same functionality as Bitpay?  If it's, you could switch to Circle.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: