Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:47:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I have USD 2000 to invest. Should I buy Bitcoins or gold?  (Read 14388 times)
minerpumpkin

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

A pumpkin mines 27 hours a night

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 02:23:54 PM

This discussion has lead to a really interesting point, actually! The replicability of Bitcoin has always been a high concern and also point of critique for many people who aren't convinced of Bitcoin's usefulness. I also believe that Bitcoin and Gold are quite similar what this is concerned, as both their scarcities could be attacked and circumvented at some point!

i agree that gold and bitcoin are quite similar, but with bitcoin you exactly know the amount that ever will be mined. not the case with gold. also important is that bitcoin has way more room for growth compared to gold.

I agree, but you have to keep in mind that Bitcoin is a very new kind of asset and it is not clear whether it will "succeed" in gaining more traction. Also, the encryption algorithms and one-way mathematical functions could end up being faulty and there may be no replacements, if quantum computers become feasible in solving arbitrary problems. This is something we can't possibly foresee right now.

I should have gotten into Bitcoin back in 1992...
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 03:24:01 PM

This discussion has lead to a really interesting point, actually! The replicability of Bitcoin has always been a high concern and also point of critique for many people who aren't convinced of Bitcoin's usefulness. I also believe that Bitcoin and Gold are quite similar what this is concerned, as both their scarcities could be attacked and circumvented at some point!

i agree that gold and bitcoin are quite similar, but with bitcoin you exactly know the amount that ever will be mined. not the case with gold. also important is that bitcoin has way more room for growth compared to gold.

The supply of gold is indeed uncertain but there are ways to more or less estimate the remaining earth's gold capacity, even tho is far from the mathematical exactitude guaranteed by bitcoin, but gold is still king of wealth perception.
markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 03:31:57 PM

The supply of gold is indeed uncertain but there are ways to more or less estimate the remaining earth's gold capacity, even tho is far from the mathematical exactitude guaranteed by bitcoin, but gold is still king of wealth perception.

Which is why people keep comparing BTC to gold as even though they wont admit it, subconsciously its still perceived as the ultimate store of wealth across the globe.
SunBin

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 06, 2015, 04:00:26 PM

Gold without a doubt.
futurebit640

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2015, 11:05:38 PM

Bitcoin is supposedly a better money than gold when you evaluate it according to all the characteristics that make for good money, it's divisible, fungible, durable, portable, identifiable, and scarce.
jerelimZ

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:47:58 AM

Gold without a doubt.

I agree.. Im sell all the btc and buy lots of gold bars and coins.

▄▄█████████▄▄
      ▄█████████████████▄
   ▄████▀            ▀████▄
  █████                █████▄
 ███████████████████████████▄
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▄
████        ██████        ████
 ████▄      ██████      ▄████
  ▀████     ██████    ▄████▀
    ▀████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████▀
      ▀▀██████████████▀▀
TIDEX

markj113
Legendary

Activity: 2254
Merit: 1043

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 09:08:12 AM

Bitcoin is supposedly a better money than gold when you evaluate it according to all the characteristics that make for good money, it's divisible, fungible, durable, portable, identifiable, and scarce.

How many people actually use BTC as money on a regular basis here?

Most people seem to treat it like an asset, hoarding and holding hoping for the moon.
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 12:55:37 PM

me every week for paying humblebundle, time to time paying fiverr and every Friday tipping paper wallets to waiters:) really..
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
May 09, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Most people seem to treat it like an asset, hoarding and holding hoping for the moon.

I just recently put 0.5 on my cellphone mycellium app wallet, that was a big deal for me to commit to having a hot cellphone wallet. There's only one restaurant I can find here in San Diego that accepts bitcoin so I haven't had a chance to use it.  I'm waiting for that day I'm at one of my regular places and I see a BTC sign so I can whip out my phone and use it  Grin

manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 06:40:57 PM

I just recently put 0.5 on my cellphone mycellium app wallet, that was a big deal for me to commit to having a hot cellphone wallet. There's only one restaurant I can find here in San Diego that accepts bitcoin so I haven't had a chance to use it.  I'm waiting for that day I'm at one of my regular places and I see a BTC sign so I can whip out my phone and use it  Grin
I've never used BTC on a smartphone to buy yet. Im worried at a privacy level. Would you guys recommend running your coins throught a mixer before putting them on mycelium to do some buying? and like others have pointed before, can one get in trouble if the coins you got from a mixer were of a criminal precedence? that leaves me a bit worried, because who in hell knows where the coins you get after mixing your coins come from? and after you do a payment in real life, those coins can be traced back to your real life name.
BitBatFan

Activity: 258
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:43:31 PM

Buy 4 bitcoins, with rest buy gold.
Never bet all money on one horse. Spread the investment.
Ivanhoe

Activity: 841

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 08:57:27 PM

In addition, the scarcity of gold might be limited by time. Asteroid mining is now too expense be profitable. However when the technology is improving it might start somewhere in the future.
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
May 09, 2015, 11:42:57 PM

In addition, the scarcity of gold might be limited by time. Asteroid mining is now too expense be profitable. However when the technology is improving it might start somewhere in the future.

By the time we can mine asteroids without it being mission impossible Bitcoin will be spread across the world and consolidated as a solid, legitimate to both store wealth and do worldwide (and who knows, extraterrestial) transactions instantly.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
May 10, 2015, 07:42:01 AM

I just recently put 0.5 on my cellphone mycellium app wallet, that was a big deal for me to commit to having a hot cellphone wallet. There's only one restaurant I can find here in San Diego that accepts bitcoin so I haven't had a chance to use it.  I'm waiting for that day I'm at one of my regular places and I see a BTC sign so I can whip out my phone and use it  Grin
I've never used BTC on a smartphone to buy yet. Im worried at a privacy level. Would you guys recommend running your coins throught a mixer before putting them on mycelium to do some buying? and like others have pointed before, can one get in trouble if the coins you got from a mixer were of a criminal precedence? that leaves me a bit worried, because who in hell knows where the coins you get after mixing your coins come from? and after you do a payment in real life, those coins can be traced back to your real life name.

actually smartphone have more privacy than a desktop, if you know how to use it, and use awifi connection, with bitcoin they can essentially track your position, not who was sending that particular transaction, so if you have a phone you can just move away and your are done, repeat after each trasaction, i mean there isn't really the ip problem

paying in a restaurant should not be an issue regardless, if they don't emit invoice

using gold instead isn't anonymous at all, not even practical...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15]  All
  Print  

Jump to: