Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:15:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spondoolies what is next???  (Read 2165 times)
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 06:27:26 PM

I heard they are not selling to the public...

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jamphone

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:16:07 PM

While they are apparently almost out of stock, they do have some available:

http://www.spondoolies-tech.com/collections/products
stonerider

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:01:14 PM

Yes, spt has one product available and in stock: SP31 Yukon for $2075. It's a 4.9 THS unit. It will take about a year to break even, and then the btc halfing comes, where's the profit???
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 04:13:36 PM

12u, 16kw, 16 blades
incoming! in the future...
desertfox470

Activity: 542
Merit: 251

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:25:33 AM

I heard that they were trying to only sell in bulk. I may be wrong on that though. I believe they may have something even more power efficient. I really don't think that they should get more th/s in the mining gear and instead focus on the power draw. If they would be able to get to under 0.3 W/GHs they would do great with business. The halving is the next major thing for manufactures to think about when making mining hardware.
armedmilitia

Activity: 562
Merit: 506

We're going to need a bigger heatsink.

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 04:54:43 AM

I'm curious to what the state of next-gen development is. There's a lot of talk about ultra-low efficiency miners coming to the table, but I've yet to see a single one appear in the wild. They should be deployed by now, as these announcements came earlier this year, even last year!

Always use escrow. OgNasty is pretty sweet.

Help me out with compiling a list of mining datacenters!
Jamphone

Activity: 125

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:38:45 PM

We're at an interesting fork in the road -

It appears spending money on "smaller" chips now may be a waste of money. Whereas the smart companies are making the same chip but figuring out how to underclock 28/20nm chips further and further. The cost of real 16nm chips is just so high, even if they provide better efficiency, it is not enough to make up the extra cost.

BitFury, Avalon, Bitmain etc. seem to be going for the "underclock" method, while Spondoolies and KNC try to make smaller chips, which based on the funds they've had to raise, appears to be exceedingly expensive.
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 04:53:50 PM

It appears spending money on "smaller" chips now may be a waste of money. Whereas the smart companies are making the same chip but figuring out how to underclock 28/20nm chips further and further. The cost of real 16nm chips is just so high, even if they provide better efficiency, it is not enough to make up the extra cost.

BitFury, Avalon, Bitmain etc. seem to be going for the "underclock" method, while Spondoolies and KNC try to make smaller chips, which based on the funds they've had to raise, appears to be exceedingly expensive.

Here's to hoping KNC fails miserably.
mavericklm

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 05:06:02 PM

+1
they deserve to burn like 6pins slots on their neptunes!
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
March 09, 2015, 05:24:46 PM

SP-Tech certainly seems to be focusing their efforts on industrial-scale hardware, rather than home consumer hardware.  Density, power efficiency, etc.  If you're a home miner and want their gear, they're offering the partnership with Genesis Mining.  I really don't see them creating another SP20-like device, which is too bad because it's such a fine piece of kit.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:35:18 AM

The death of home mining is what's next, unfortunately.

It was a fun hobby while it lasted.
redhunter

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 04:50:46 PM

I think it depends on whether you want a few miners in the corner of your living room or you have a dedicated closet or room in the basement with 240v power and adequate cooling.  As long as Spondoolies is willing to sell their server grade products in small quantities—even singles—there will be those of us wanting to buy their products.  I was about to buy a new SP31, but my timing was lucky and I was able to pick up a few S5 batch 5s when they were USD 320.
MCHouston

Activity: 882

Where am I?

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 02:59:39 AM

"Never give up never surrender."

I have two dedicated mining rooms, and even if the stop selling in small batches.  I will buy in bulk and keep home mining.

BTC 13WWomzkAoUsXtxANN9f1zRzKusgFWpngJ
LTC LKXYdqRzRC8WciNDtiRwCeb8tZtioZA2Ks
DOGE DMsTJidwkkv2nL7KwwkBbVPfjt3MhS4TZ9
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 05:38:17 AM

And if I can afford to (both time and money) I'll do my best to build home miners when the big guys aren't. I hate to make a comparison to Technobit since it sorta looks like they like to rip people off when nobody's looking, but third parties like that are a good thing for home miners as long as they don't start getting greedy.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
wilth1

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 15, 2015, 07:10:24 AM

It's clear that retail sales are not in the manufacturers' best interests for the near term unless they are done with big markup. SP's sell out and Bitmain's S5 price ramp-up demonstrate this.  Their margins are good now, but aren't big enough at the moment to make the considerable investment required to go the new chip route over graduated underclocking, either.  What's more is that we've nearly hit an efficiency wall short of huge investment.

Of course, if the exchange rate were to bounce up to 5 or 600 USD we'd see a large rollout of current gen equipment from all of the builders at the very least, probably paired with expedited chip dev and production as well.

Now that efficiency has nearly plateaued, do you think we'll see another huge (latent) hash rate climb with the next price hike, or will it be much flatter?
DieJohnny (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1639
Merit: 1004

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 04:22:45 AM

It's clear that retail sales are not in the manufacturers' best interests for the near term unless they are done with big markup. SP's sell out and Bitmain's S5 price ramp-up demonstrate this.  Their margins are good now, but aren't big enough at the moment to make the considerable investment required to go the new chip route over graduated underclocking, either.  What's more is that we've nearly hit an efficiency wall short of huge investment.

Of course, if the exchange rate were to bounce up to 5 or 600 USD we'd see a large rollout of current gen equipment from all of the builders at the very least, probably paired with expedited chip dev and production as well.

Now that efficiency has nearly plateaued, do you think we'll see another huge (latent) hash rate climb with the next price hike, or will it be much flatter?

Interesting question. I think price stagnation will result in dramatic changes in technology rollout, it takes millions to fund a new architecture. We will see improvements in power consumption before we see massive leaps in total hashrate in my opinion.

Those who hold and those who are without property have ever formed distinct interests in society
sergio

Activity: 313
Merit: 258

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 09:39:29 AM

They will fail I can assure you that, a company that lied to its customers will also lie to its investors, only a very foolish investor will not care. They are doomed.

That is why large successful companies honor their promises, because if they do not, their reputation goes down the toilet.

KNC reputation has already gone down the toilet under those condition most honest investors wont invest and will keep a very large distance from them, unless they have also gone down the toilet, and as such KNC could get screwed by people just like them, thats like a crook dealing with a crook, such scenario is a failure.

So by hoping the fail miserably there an implied probability that they will not fail, I am sure they will fail 100%.

SAM may have won monetarily at this point, but at the cost of sending his reputation down the toilet, most people would probably like to have some reputation left in them, I am sure it is sad for him to be a man with no dignity, and money can not buy his dignity back, so from that point of view he is screwed.

They have already going down, have you looked at their website, customer support is gone, forums are gone, no hardware sales, etc. They became the successor to BFL.

Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:06:57 AM

They will fail I can assure you that, a company that lied to its customers will also lie to its investors, only a very foolish investor will not care. They are doomed.

That is why large successful companies honor their promises, because if they do not, their reputation goes down the toilet.

KNC reputation has already gone down the toilet under those condition most honest investors wont invest and will keep a very large distance from them, unless they have also gone down the toilet, and as such KNC could get screwed by people just like them, thats like a crook dealing with a crook, such scenario is a failure.

So by hoping the fail miserably there an implied probability that they will not fail, I am sure they will fail 100%.

SAM may have won monetarily at this point, but at the cost of sending his reputation down the toilet, most people would probably like to have some reputation left in them, I am sure it is sad for him to be a man with no dignity, and money can not buy his dignity back, so from that point of view he is screwed.

They have already going down, have you looked at their website, customer support is gone, forums are gone, no hardware sales, etc. They became the successor to BFL.

well their site has been down for a couple days or more www.kncminer.com ..also www.knccloud.com

hmmmmmm......(probably just DNS issue from their web page changes etc...they have like 200 million bucks from us ...how can they have messed up and gone under? (one can hope)

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: