Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 11:44:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Large is BTCST exposure?  (Read 10409 times)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 04:42:22 AM

You think that dollars being legal tender gives everyone the right to liquidate any contract they please by paying what they claim to be fair market value?  That's an interesting belief.  Others believe in bigfoot.
It's in fact true, ignoring your silly "what they claim" nonsense. Efficient breach is not only permitted but *encouraged*.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Efficient_breach

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:48:45 AM

which day of the week does he pay out the interest? just for me to know when to look for a default...

if you take 500k bitcoin at a 6% interest per week that would make 10M bitcoin in only one year - more than in existence...

you should read the op.  If you're too lazy to do even that, you're not going to be much use determining if it is a ponzi or not.

hi - sorry for asking, but what is the "op"? if it is the first post, how does it answer my question?
and at 7% per WEEK there is absolutely no need to "determine" if it is a ponzi or not.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 05:56:47 AM

which day of the week does he pay out the interest? just for me to know when to look for a default...

if you take 500k bitcoin at a 6% interest per week that would make 10M bitcoin in only one year - more than in existence...

you should read the op.  If you're too lazy to do even that, you're not going to be much use determining if it is a ponzi or not.

hi - sorry for asking, but what is the "op"? if it is the first post, how does it answer my question?
and at 7% per WEEK there is absolutely no need to "determine" if it is a ponzi or not.

why not? Because it is?  Wink

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

el_rlee
Legendary

Activity: 1600
Merit: 1014

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:18:46 AM

7% ?! Per week? Excuse me.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:22:55 AM

7% ?! Per week? Excuse me.

it...is... Wink

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:59:54 AM

Original Poster. Thread author essentially.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:07:37 AM

I always thought it was opening poster.
waspoza

Activity: 602
Merit: 508

Firstbits: 1waspoza

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:11:50 AM

I always thought it was opening poster.

Well, there is original poster on urban dictionary, but no opening poster, so...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=original%20poster
CoinCidental
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

Si vis pacem, para bellum

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:47:18 PM

What is surprising to me is just how large a target this guy is for a real hacker/social engineer/thief, in real life.

His name is public, his facial details are known, his place of residence is likely known by somebody with access to county records. He happens to live in a "hacker hotbed" (The Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex).

I would not be surprised at all if he's targeted personally.

I'm sure he uses encryption and what-not but everyone makes mistakes.

I just can't see how this can be good in the long run. My gut tells me if something happens we can kiss goodbye to double digit Bitcoin pricing. :-D

-p

easy to claim a hacker raided the BST coins regardless of the identity of pirate or bitcoin max or the other
phungus

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

I'm doin' fine on cloud 9

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 03:45:44 PM

What is surprising to me is just how large a target this guy is for a real hacker/social engineer/thief, in real life.

easy to claim a hacker raided the BST coins regardless of the identity of pirate or bitcoin max or the other

Yeah, Zhoutong 2.0 coming up...

-p

I can do stuff
Cluster2k
Legendary

Activity: 1692
Merit: 1018

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 04:24:03 PM

In the next period of time Pirate's scheme will collapse, or the interest payout will be slashed, or Pirate will get hacked and the bitcoins will disappear.  How long the period of time is is the only question here.

Many have stood up for Pirate and said a 7% weekly return is quite reasonable for a skilled trader like he.  I just hope those people aren't invested in the scheme, for they may well learn a very valuable lesson in mathematics.  Over the years countless people have claimed 'this time it's different' when claiming returns of several thousand percent per annum (compounded) are quite achievable.
mb300sd
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

Drunk Posts

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 05:47:55 PM

In the next period of time Pirate's scheme will collapse, or the interest payout will be slashed, or Pirate will get hacked and the bitcoins will disappear.  How long the period of time is is the only question here.

Many have stood up for Pirate and said a 7% weekly return is quite reasonable for a skilled trader like he.  I just hope those people aren't invested in the scheme, for they may well learn a very valuable lesson in mathematics.  Over the years countless people have claimed 'this time it's different' when claiming returns of several thousand percent per annum (compounded) are quite achievable.

Interest rates have already been cut.. Reduced to 5% next week Sad

1D7FJWRzeKa4SLmTznd3JpeNU13L1ErEco
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 07:20:29 PM

Interest rates have already been cut.. Reduced to 5% next week Sad

yep, that's the signal pirate is vulnerable to BTC price increase. If he needs more that 20k bitcoins for interest payouts each week and he's buying them at exchanges, he may go bust pretty soon. His bitcoin debt is huge.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:19:06 PM

Yeah, Zhoutong 2.0 coming up...

-p

Not if its a ponzi.  Because everyone will demand to see the txn that stole the coins on the blockchain. And that txn wont have enough coins.
MoneyIsDebt

Activity: 642
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:22:40 PM

Why would he go bust if he's free to change interest rates at will?
He could change them to zero for example.
Wish I could do that with my loans.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:39:01 PM

You can if you loaned under Pirate;s conditions. People are free to withdraw and stop loaning to him. It' not like he is changing the interest rate on an agreed upon fixed period.

That being said, I expected him to give notice earlier (mainly due to the wording in his bet)
GeoRW

Activity: 350
Merit: 257

Trust No One

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:52:38 PM

Because he will eventually need to return the debt? Or are you saying that he will not pay interest and will not return the coins he borrowed and still not default?  Grin If he sold bitcoins earlier at lower price for let's say providing loans denominated in USD, this price increase will hit him badly, so badly that he may be unable to repay his bitcoin debt.
P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 08:59:01 PM

Because he will eventually need to return the debt? Or are you saying that he will not pay interest and will not return the coins he borrowed and still not default?  Grin

Pirate will issue IOUs and invent bitcoin fractional reserve banking Smiley.

adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 09:03:18 PM

Because he will eventually need to return the debt? Or are you saying that he will not pay interest and will not return the coins he borrowed and still not default?  Grin

Pirate will issue IOUs and invent bitcoin fractional reserve banking Smiley.

who's going to bail him out tho?

in the bitcoin world banks are not to big to fail.

finkleshnorts

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 09:23:15 PM

Not if its a ponzi.  Because everyone will demand to see the txn that stole the coins on the blockchain. And that txn wont have enough coins.

This is an excellent point. I've never thought of that before.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: