Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 09:45:36 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What did theymos do with 200K?  (Read 10923 times)
Wardrick
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:32:34 AM

I personally enjoy the forum lay out right now, but it would be nice to have a change in scenery. If you look at sites like eBay it would be nice to have some of those features. I'm not surprised that it's going to cost $1.5M for the forum software. In this day and age your online portfolio is as important as the business you conduct off the internet. Target now gets 1/3 of their profits each year from their website. Imagine what that number was like 10 years ago.
Equinoxx

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:17:56 AM

What do you mean like eBay? Like an online store? I'm confused, sorry.

-.sgmf
Berau

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:41:08 AM

Theymos, in no way am I doubting you or your ability to manage the forums funds. This is just a little "Thinking out loud".

https://blockchain.info/address/1M4yNbSCwSMFLF9BaLqzoo2to1WHtZrPke

Last two transactions, 350 BTC each, moved. That is a total of $194,000. Hmm, any guesses on where that went?

If theymos is a scammer then we wouldn't have had any hope at all in bitcoin itself.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:35:45 AM

Slickage = unknown startup which doesn't even have a website on its own. 4 developers, $375k per year per developer.

Well played Smiley

micky123
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:48:10 AM

Holy Smokes!! A mil and half dollars for a forum software!!

Since i didn't donate, i don't have a say in the matter, but i feel that this is a bit extravagant. Sure, we want the forum to look good and add a million other features, but spending a mil and a half is a bit over the top imo. Someone said that we need the new forum because we have half a million members, all fine and dandy, but how many alt accounts do we have? The average bct user owns 2-3 accounts and spammers / scammers own even more accounts. Wouldn't it be better to purge accounts that have not been logged into for the past 2 years (with the exception of Satoshi ofc,  Grin)? Also, the concept of multiple accounts should be done away with, why would people need alt accounts? Just to make some additional money off signature campaigns or to sell it? We can do without these alt accounts. Just my 2 satoshi, i don't mean to offend anyone.

In other news today, WB Vod Smiley

BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:50:39 AM

I wonder if SMF got any donations for their software here.

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:55:34 AM

Do you mean bitcoin donation ? I do not think they are accepting bitcoin , check their "donation page" here :

- http://www.simplemachines.org/contribute/donate.php

This is the discussion here in the forum :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=827784.0   

and here in the smf :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=403726.0
BCwinning

Activity: 770

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 09:59:04 AM

Do you mean bitcoin donation ? I do not think they are accepting bitcoin , check their "donation page" here :

- http://www.simplemachines.org/contribute/donate.php

This is the discussion here in the forum :

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=827784.0   

and here in the smf :

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=403726.0
No how much has theymos donated to the SMF community?

The New World Order thanks you for your support of Bitcoin and encourages your continuing support so that they may track your expenditures easier.
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:00:59 AM

How far away do we think the new forum software will be? It sounds pretty interesting and I am sure it will be great for the forum.
TotalShift

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:04:13 AM

Since theymos legally own and control the forum and the domain. All the revenue generated and donations in the forum is own privately by theymos. In theory and laws theymos has every right to spend the forum funds where he wishes to.
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 10:07:37 AM

How far away do we think the new forum software will be?

Slickage told they are at end. So I think it will be released soon(1-3 months). Smiley

It sounds pretty interesting and I am sure it will be great for the forum.

Hopefully, it will except for first few hours or days.

-MZ

Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 10:11:11 AM

Since theymos legally own and control the forum and the domain. All the revenue generated and donations in the forum is own privately by theymos. Theymos has every right to spend the forum funds where he wishes to.

Privately? I don't think so! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=155000.0

P.S. @theymos: Could you update the list please? Thank you!

-MZ

TotalShift

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:24:21 AM

Since theymos legally own and control the forum and the domain. All the revenue generated and donations in the forum is own privately by theymos. Theymos has every right to spend the forum funds where he wishes to.

-MZ

Holding and owning are two different things. The tresurers are basically holding the funds for theymos, they have no right to spend the funds while theymos because he owns the bitcoins can get the funds from the treasurers  anytime of his choosing.
Muhammed Zakir

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 10:30:21 AM

Holding and owning are two different things. The tresurers are basically holding the funds for theymos, they have no right to spend the funds while theymos because he owns the bitcoins can get the funds from the treasurers  anytime of his choosing.

Could you please read my post again? Thank you! Smiley

You said "privately". How is that private if it is public? He can get or he may get or he might get? It is not 100% sure than the persons who hold it will send to theymos when he asks?

P.S. Another thing, how is theymos owning them? It isn't his money even though he is admin and managing this forum.

-MZ

KaChingCoinDev (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:12:42 AM

Theymos, in no way am I doubting you or your ability to manage the forums funds. This is just a little "Thinking out loud".

https://blockchain.info/address/1M4yNbSCwSMFLF9BaLqzoo2to1WHtZrPke

Last two transactions, 350 BTC each, moved. That is a total of $194,000. Hmm, any guesses on where that went?

If theymos is a scammer then we wouldn't have had any hope at all in bitcoin itself.

Lol if Theymos was a scammer, the world would be doomed. I was just wondering what on earth you can do with 194K. Did he go buy a house? Now I know it is because of the new forum but yea...
Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:52:15 AM

I worked for a small company and it took a long time to convince my superiors (inc. owner) how much web development costs. They eventually apologized after when they went around me only to find exactly the same figures. $1.5m+ is totally reasonable for a large development like I assume this new site would be.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:07:44 PM

He was most likely using those funds to pay slickage, the company that is designing the new forum.

That was my first guess. But 200K for a website? Holy Crap, this is going to be amazing  Shocked

Well they have been in development for several months so we can expect something good. My hopes are high.

mine ass well but fir web site to bee paid for 200K that is too much.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

KaChingCoinDev (OP)

Activity: 364

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:10:20 PM

He was most likely using those funds to pay slickage, the company that is designing the new forum.

That was my first guess. But 200K for a website? Holy Crap, this is going to be amazing  Shocked

Well they have been in development for several months so we can expect something good. My hopes are high.

mine ass well but fir web site to bee paid for 200K that is too much.

This new forum will cost 1.5 Million, not just 200K. This will be one nice forum. 
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 12:10:52 PM

-MZ
Wrong. He is not obliged to spend the money on the forum. He can spend it however he wants, he can even shut down the forum.
The fact that he spent (is spending) so much money on the forum, shows what kind of person he really is.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1128

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 12:16:55 PM

SMF sucks pretty bad for a forum of this size, and is not at all good enough. They make too many assumptions and don't give enough choices for certain things. Theymos fixed some things, this would be broken in any upgrade and would need to be done again.

No way to see all threads created by a user.

Can't watch a thread without posting in it, can't unwatch a thread without deleting your post (which doesn't always work). (fixed by theymos)

No way to add notes to a user that would be visible to mods, only admins.

Only admins can ban people (somewhat fixed by theymos).

No ban queue, we literally have a thread in the staff forum called banning where mods post to report bans.  

No way for non-admin mods to see current ban status (I can actually see big red warning text in a user's profile when they are banned, which is
handy and saves a lot of time, there's even a button to click on to take you to the ban where you can see reason and duration, I am amazed they got that right).

No way to ban multiple people at the same time, and bans are so slow it's painful, I almost want to stab myself. I have stuff to do and limited time here, just do it already sdaasdjasdjkliuodas. (partially fixed by theymos, but those are only for permanent bans).

Speaking of which, when you go to ban someone, better hope he hasn't been banned before, it will give you an error. Then you get to click on ban list, and go through page by page looking for the previous ban so you can see the reason and duration. Search? What's that? Get bent. Then modify the ban group (typically the username, I add a number) so it will go through and do it again. Then wait (see above).

No way to see previous bans of a user without poring over the banlist, which has no search.

No way to see deleted posts without using the forum search, or poring over the post history.

Want to see who locked or moved a thread? Sure just go check the modlog. There's even a search bar!!! But wait, it only searches by the moderator who took the action. No way to search the other fields, such as thread, user involved, date, etc. I honestly feel like I'm being trolled when I see that. Have fun looking through page after page (20 results per page, and there's a lot of pages).

Honestly I could go on and on and on...and on and on.

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: