Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 03:56:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The difficulty is now at a new all time high  (Read 6445 times)
jothan (OP)

Activity: 184
Merit: 100

Feel the coffee, be the coffee.

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 06:21:31 PM

The last difficulty peak was around August 2011, below 2,000,000.

The difficulty is now 2,036,671, clearly exceeding that peak.

Thoughts ?

Bitcoin: the only currency you can store directly into your brain.

What this planet needs is a good 0.0005 BTC US nickel.
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 06:27:57 PM

Look at the price, its only going to go up more.

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
yochdog
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 06:30:18 PM

The last difficulty peak was around August 2011, below 2,000,000.

The difficulty is now 2,036,671, clearly exceeding that peak.

Thoughts ?

uhhhh, more mining power?

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 01:27:27 PM

Batten up the hatches

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 03:34:27 PM

Looks like it's time for me to look into FPGAs for present demands (as it looks like BFL won't be able to meet my needs due to really long pre-order list for the ASICs/plus their famous delays too) as well as look into suppliers of mining equipment (GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs) who are reputable (I'm sticking to UK suppliers for tax reasons plus legal protections if something goes wrong,like non delivery/faulty product).

I think I've reached the limit for my current equipment (as they can't be pushed any further on the MBP and PC with HD6950 under current conditions) so I'll have to think carefully where I thread from now on (either consider further expansion of mining capability or plan for a phased withdrawal if suppliers in UK are unable to meet my needs for equipment plus I can't trust overseas suppliers due to tax/buyer protection issues.In UK buying abroad means paying tax at customs to 'release' the shipment at customs and this can take time).

I'm also diversifying my portfolio for which crypto currencies to mine with (currently consists of BTC and LTC since SC is no longer meeting my needs-big delays in Microcash transition is putting me off further investment until things are on a more solid footing with SC/MK) so for now this'll help me in the short term.

Anyway thats,that for the strategy part. I do think that when more people get annoyed at very high difficulty,they'll simply drop out of mining (as it's unprofitable for them) and the difficulty will drop and cycle will repeat itself thus business as usual.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
disclaimer201
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:00:27 AM

Looks like it's time for me to look into FPGAs for present demands (as it looks like BFL won't be able to meet my needs due to really long pre-order list for the ASICs/plus their famous delays too) as well as look into suppliers of mining equipment (GPUs/FPGAs/ASICs) who are reputable (I'm sticking to UK suppliers for tax reasons plus legal protections if something goes wrong,like non delivery/faulty product).

I think I've reached the limit for my current equipment (as they can't be pushed any further on the MBP and PC with HD6950 under current conditions) so I'll have to think carefully where I thread from now on (either consider further expansion of mining capability or plan for a phased withdrawal if suppliers in UK are unable to meet my needs for equipment plus I can't trust overseas suppliers due to tax/buyer protection issues.In UK buying abroad means paying tax at customs to 'release' the shipment at customs and this can take time).

I'm also diversifying my portfolio for which crypto currencies to mine with (currently consists of BTC and LTC since SC is no longer meeting my needs-big delays in Microcash transition is putting me off further investment until things are on a more solid footing with SC/MK) so for now this'll help me in the short term.

Anyway thats,that for the strategy part. I do think that when more people get annoyed at very high difficulty,they'll simply drop out of mining (as it's unprofitable for them) and the difficulty will drop and cycle will repeat itself thus business as usual.

I'm afraid people are already dropping out while the difficulty is rising. I assume a much steeper increase of the network rate would have occurred otherwise. It may have an influence again in December when even gpu miners with free electricity may decide to drop out. Again, I doubt they will drop out for good but get specialized equipment as well.
freshzive

Activity: 447
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 05:01:27 AM

We'll be over 2.1 million soon Smiley

Kind of suprised the difficulty isn't rising faster than it has been to be honest. We must be losing some gpu miners.

tgmarks
Donator

Activity: 490

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 05:43:37 AM

Kind of suprised the difficulty isn't rising faster than it has been to be honest. We must be losing some gpu miners.

Agreed.  I feel like it should be skyrocketing, but I think a lot of people may be holding off on expanding their farm as they wait to see if the BFL asic really materializes.  Also, a lot of miners may have realized they could make more by selling their gear and putting the coin into a pirate pass-through if they are ok with the risk.

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 06:23:04 AM

When's the next difficulty change?

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 07:35:04 AM

<gribble> Current Blocks: 192840 | Current Difficulty: 2036671.0886933 | Next Difficulty At Block: 193535 | Next Difficulty In: 695 blocks | Next Difficulty In About: 4 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes, and 20 seconds | Next Difficulty Estimate: 2116395.25971438 | Estimated Percent Change: 3.91443524994

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:40:21 AM

<gribble> Current Blocks: 192840 | Current Difficulty: 2036671.0886933 | Next Difficulty At Block: 193535 | Next Difficulty In: 695 blocks | Next Difficulty In About: 4 days, 13 hours, 39 minutes, and 20 seconds | Next Difficulty Estimate: 2116395.25971438 | Estimated Percent Change: 3.91443524994

wow our network hash has gone up almost 4 percent since last increase?

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 07:53:07 AM

Agreed.  I feel like it should be skyrocketing, but I think a lot of people may be holding off on expanding their farm as they wait to see if the BFL asic really materializes.  Also, a lot of miners may have realized they could make more by selling their gear and putting the coin into a pirate pass-through if they are ok with the risk.
Why would GPU miners be shutting down?
Due to the price increase I'm getting paid more per megahash (in $ terms) than I was a month ago, or a month before that.
Therefore, my GPUs are more profitable than ever  Wink
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 07:58:44 AM

wow our network hash has gone up almost 4 percent since last increase?
yep
ppl are still starting mining on gpus, fpga that were ordered months ago are being delivered etc, I expect the trend to continue
and of course $10+ per coin makes a lot of ppl viable that werent at say $7 Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 08:08:33 AM

I was hoping for a few good final months before ASICs arrived, because I expected people to ditch their GPU farms while they still can get a decent price for them. I mean, good luck selling your GPUs in november or whenever these asics hit.

Unfortunately, the sharp BTC price increase has pretty much killed that hope, and everyone seems to be doing what Im doing: mining on their gpu's till the bitter end, even if it means selling the gpu's later at far lower prices.

Shadow383

Activity: 336

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 09:06:52 AM

I was hoping for a few good final months before ASICs arrived, because I expected people to ditch their GPU farms while they still can get a decent price for them. I mean, good luck selling your GPUs in november or whenever these asics hit.

Unfortunately, the sharp BTC price increase has pretty much killed that hope, and everyone seems to be doing what Im doing: mining on their gpu's till the bitter end, even if it means selling the gpu's later at far lower prices.
That's the thing - I can always stick my 7970s on ebay later and be at a profit.
The people I feel a touch sorry for are those with mining FPGA clusters - people who've dropped $10000 on Ztex boards and the like which can't really be used for too much outside mining.
fabrizziop

Activity: 506

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:09:50 PM

That's the thing - I can always stick my 7970s on ebay later and be at a profit.
The people I feel a touch sorry for are those with mining FPGA clusters - people who've dropped $10000 on Ztex boards and the like which can't really be used for too much outside mining.

And in my country 5830s sell at about 160$ used, so I'm even profiting by buying used hardware and reselling.

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:32:04 AM

And in my country 5830s sell at about 160$ used, so I'm even profiting by buying used hardware and reselling.

which country

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 12:39:42 AM
Last edit: August 12, 2012, 12:53:50 AM by Unacceptable

which country

He's in Venezuela  Grin

I may be retiring there or somewhere in South America,good to know there's some Bitcoin folks there  Cool

Can't believe there can be 2-4 th/s added in vid cards & FPGA's in 2 months.I think someone is testing out ASIC's  Shocked

Now,who could it be Huh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6v6fmb2kpE
     Grin   Cheesy   Grin   Cheesy   Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
aqrulesms

Activity: 373

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 02:55:40 AM

I doubt they're testing ASICs.

Many people have video cards, and there is a large growing interest in bitcoin, leading to more mining in times of high profitability.

Earlier miners or new miners have come into the scene as soon as it became profitable is the most likely explanation.

██ ██    ██ ██    ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██  ██
      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██    ██ ██ ██      ██    ██ ██ ██
   ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄
   ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀
      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██      ██ ██ ██ ██ ██    ██  
▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄      ▄▄    ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀      ▀▀    ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
     ▀ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██
    ██  ▄  ▄▄  ▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄  ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄ ▄▄
        ▄▄ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▄▄ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀ ▀▀
        ▀▀  ▀ ▀▀ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀  ▀  ██ ██
         ██ ██ ▄▄ ▄▄    ▄▄ ██ ██ ▄ ▄▄
           ▄▄  ▀▀ ▀▀    ▀▀      ▄▄ ▀▀
           ▀▀    ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ▀▀
UCHAIN  ▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄█▄   
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
▄ ▄
███
 ▀
█▄█
▀█▀
.████████████████████████.
██████████████████████████
███▄     ███████     ▄████
█████     █████     ██████
█████ ▌    ███▌     ██████
█████ █     █▌ ▐    ██████
█████ ██      ▐█    ██████
█████ ███    ▐██    ██████
████▀ ▀███   ███    ██████
██▀     ▀██ ██▀      ▀████
██████████████▀     ▀█████
███ ▀████████▌        ▄███
███    ▀████▀        ▄████
███                 ▐█████
████                ▐█████
██████              ██████
███████           ▄███████
██████▀         ▄█████████
████▄▄      ▄▄████████████
.███████████████████████.
█████████████████████████
███████████████████▀▀▀███
█████████████▀▀▀ ▄    ███
████████▀▀     ▄█▀   ▐███
████▀▀       ▄█▀     ████
█▀         ▄██      ▐████
████▄▄▄  ▄██▀       █████
███████████        ▐█████
██████████         ██████
██████████ ▄██▄▄  ▐██████
█████████████████████████
.███████████████████████.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:32:18 AM

Bfl finishing up their old orders would bring diff up. Newer radeon vid card series brought things up. Other fpga stuff coming online. Higher btc price added some old users back into mining with what they have. Etc..
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: