Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 07:54:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone still living out of Bitcoin?  (Read 1187 times)
endlessdark (OP)

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:00:48 AM

I'm wondering if there are examples of business that use bitcoin but are not 100% bitcoin related like bitcoin stores, or people working for bitcoin, not like an exchange (that would be 100% bitcoin related). That are profitable and can make people live out of bitcoin today without getting bankrupt in the big swings. For me that would be the example of bitcoin success.

Are there any examples for taking a look?
Thanks!
Monetizer

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:04:25 AM

There are many big sites that accept bitcoin but are not related, an example being dell and dish who both accept bitcoin.
endlessdark (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:09:55 AM

There are many big sites that accept bitcoin but are not related, an example being dell and dish who both accept bitcoin.
But I guess those sites accept Bitcoin as an experiment, but make their living out of fiat money.

The whole point is that when I think about bitcoin, the only people I know who admit to make money out of it are gamblers and speculators.
And their final goal is to use bitcoin as a temporary method to increase their fiat money. That is a symptom of failure.
Small companies like shops are really skeptical and some of them declare to have lost money by accepting bitcoin,
If real and honest work is being exchanged for bitcoin, for me that is a symptom of success.
Monetizer

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:11:58 AM

But I guess those sites accept Bitcoin as an experiment, but make their living out of fiat money.

The whole point is that when I think about bitcoin, the only people I know who admit to make money out of it are gamblers and speculators.
Small companies like shops are really skeptical and some of them declare to have lost money by accepting bitcoin,
And their final goal is to use bitcoin as a temporary method to increase their fiat money. That is a symptom of failure.
If real and honest work is being exchanged for bitcoin, for me that is a symptom of success.

I think that most companies that rely on bitcoin would be bitcoin based or related at this point in time. I understand what you are saying and I am sure in the future more companies will accept and take bitcoin but with current volatility it is hard for a company to rely on it all the time.
Moonpig

Activity: 62

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:28:18 AM

I'm wondering if there are examples of business that use bitcoin but are not 100% bitcoin related like bitcoin stores, or people working for bitcoin, not like an exchange (that would be 100% bitcoin related). That are profitable and can make people live out of bitcoin today without getting bankrupt in the big swings. For me that would be the example of bitcoin success.

Thanks!

There are a couple of online stores set up that accept only bitcoin if that's what you mean (and some other alt coins in some instances). Here's a couple:

http://coinsfortech.com/
http://www.cryptosextoys.com/
endlessdark (OP)

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:59:55 AM

Thanks!

There are a couple of online stores set up that accept only bitcoin if that's what you mean (and some other alt coins in some instances). Here's a couple:

Those are the things I meant, thanks, I would like more examples. The coinsfortech store reminds me to the old bitcoinstore that sadly had to close.
AT101ET
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1348

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:30:30 PM

Most shops that accept Bitcoin convert the Bitcoin to fiat. I read about some guys who've asked for their salaries to be paid in BTC but ultimately I suspect they also convert all of not most of it to cash. The simple reason for this is that we aren't suited for a full bitcoins ecosystem yet.
It's hard to earn your income in BTC but then have to travel halfway accross the country to buy your groceries.
Some people may buy some things and pay certain bills in BTC but I'm yet to see someone who's living fully on BTC on a full time basis (not a trial period for a news agency).
patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:48:59 PM

^ I think that depends on where they live. For example I don't have any shops around me that accept bitcoin : / so I couldn't do it for now.
But some say they have conditions for it:

In fact I do not think that it is possible, if you use only bitcoins, paying daily your expenses. Where you can find fuel station, which work with BTC ? Also restaurants will not accept this, except just one or two.

if you cannot find a fuel station that accepts bitcoins. then ask to speak to th fuel station manager and talk to him about bitcoin. get them to accept bitcoin.

you really need to realise that bitcoin is not a company with a sales team that goes around businesses and gets them onboard. if you want your local station or grocery store to accept bitcoin then you need to ask your local store to accept bitcoin.

once you have got your local fuel station and grocery store to accept bitcoin, then work on your landlordand help them to understand bitcoin too..

then once you feel you can live, eat, travel via bitcoin.. then you have a chance to enter this experiment. as thats the main aim of the experiment to get more businesses accepting it and get people living off of it.

i would enter it myself but i have already done the hard work in my area and am happy living off of bitcoin. thus it is only fair to allow someone else the chance to become fully bitcoin integrated, and get a prize for doing so

finlon

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 12:53:41 PM

Dell comes to mind. And the big companies which do not accept 100% in bitcoins, never hold the amount. SO they never get affected. And they don't dream of becoming millionaires by holding that amount of BTC .

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:02:20 PM
Last edit: March 10, 2015, 01:42:35 PM by Amph

newegg also is accepting it, but i'm not sure they are living 100% out of it, a normal "person/agency" in the world using service like all4btc and gaining btc via mining with a medium-big farm, could live with 100% btc only
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 01:19:35 PM

There are quite a lot of websites that accept bitocins currently like courier companies, dell, travel websites and even some popular websites are planning to adopt bitcoin as it's profitable for them. There are bitcoin debit cards also available.

winchancer

Activity: 97

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 01:41:12 PM

This is my dream, not ready yet.
inBitweTrust

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:02:17 PM

Thanks!

Those are the things I meant, thanks, I would like more examples. The coinsfortech store reminds me to the old bitcoinstore that sadly had to close.

I made a thread about this and compiled a list a while ago:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=961224.0

ticoti

Activity: 854

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 08:41:10 PM

I can't say I live out of bitcoin but at least I get the money to pay some small purchases
oblivi

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:27:48 PM

Most wil keep cashing out in fiat due the fact Bitcoin is still in its infancy. As merchant adoption arises it will be more and more pointless to cash out for deprecating fiat.
Monetizer

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 10:37:21 PM

Most wil keep cashing out in fiat due the fact Bitcoin is still in its infancy. As merchant adoption arises it will be more and more pointless to cash out for deprecating fiat.

Exactly, especially when a business needs to pay for things such as tax they will need to hold enough fiat to pay that of along with other costs that arise.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: