Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 05:29:52 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Staking Coins  (Read 1395 times)
Verias (OP)

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 05:03:18 PM

HI i started  trading bitcoins / altcoins  a few months ago,
Now i wanted to  get some coins of the exchange that i use cause i don't trust it to leave everything on 1 exchange.

And then i found out about staking.
Now i was wondering it says i can unlock wallet only for staking coins.
but does the wallet needs to be open on a pc to be able to stake  or can i put the wallet on a USB stick and take it ofline.

Sorry if it is a stupid question but i'm pretty new to all of this.

thx in advance
gnargnar
Legendary

Activity: 1111
Merit: 1000

crypto-enthusiast since 2012

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:06:22 PM

your wallet will need to be running and unlocked to be able to stake.
Verias (OP)

Activity: 351
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 06:32:43 PM

so i have to choose, leave it online  and stake or take it ofline and don't stake...
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
March 10, 2015, 07:35:31 PM

You can stake with a locked wallet if you have the client running and use walletpassphrase prior to minting. That will unlock it for a specific timeframe

Or you can use GorillaStake  Wink

billotronic
Legendary

Activity: 1610

Crackpot Idealist

View Profile
March 10, 2015, 11:40:06 PM

lol, when not ruining the crypto scene, do you moonlite by chasing ambulances?

This post sums up why all this bullshit is a scam
Read It. Hate It. Change the facts that it represents.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1606638.msg16139644#msg16139644
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2015, 10:01:15 AM

You can stake NXT in someone else's address while you're offline. But you will generally need a lot of NXT to get a reasonable stake.
Also, the more blocks you have (for PP forks), the more RAM and CPU the client will require for successful staking.

DecentralizeEconomics
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042

White Male Libertarian Bro

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 10:10:53 AM

To safely stake in NXT do this:

1 - Create a secondary NXT account with very little NXT in it (1 NXT).
2 - Lease your forging balance from your primary NXT account (the one with your NXT) to your secondary NXT account.
3 - Open your secondary NXT account on your online computer to forge with your full balance.

Once you have accumulated some NXT from forging in your secondary account, send them to your primary account to keep them secure.  By doing this, your password for your primary NXT account will not be stored in the memory of your computer connected to the internet.   You can even create a lease transaction (to lease your primary account balance to your secondary account) on a secure, offline computer and then broadcast your signed transaction bytes on your online computer ensuring your primary NXT password doesn't touch your online computer.

"Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties." - Areopagitica
dukeneptun
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
March 11, 2015, 05:27:11 PM

Cmon guys. He was definitely asking about staking coins with high interest (100% and more)....(NXT is not one of them)

Well you can have locked wallet and stake. (PC must be on all the time)

EDIT: Do not leave your money in exchange....never
HCLivess
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1090

=== NODE IS OK! ==

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2015, 11:56:49 AM

Cmon guys. He was definitely asking about staking coins with high interest (100% and more)....(NXT is not one of them)

Well you can have locked wallet and stake. (PC must be on all the time)

EDIT: Do not leave your money in exchange....never

Let me quote myself then:

Hobonickels has inflation control and great implementation of the distribution, coin control, multi-wallet support, stake splitting, etc. It also has one of the most talented developers around. It is a great coin.

NXT is another great POS coin, but stake comes from the transaction fees of others there. You can also buy valuable assets with dividends or even hedge at the NXT asset exchange.

Hybrid coins (POW+POS) have some advantages over pure POS in mining costs, because price moves around production costs as Satoshi said.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: