Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:32:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alt Chains are the future  (Read 3320 times)
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:21:17 PM

Disclaimer: At the time writing this I own 0 LTC and only BTC.

Bitcoin's success is due to its agreement between many people that it is "money". More so free-market money.

Litecoin and maybe namecoin (given more adoption) can be just as successful in terms of it being free-market money.

This is key. The free markets must choose it to be money. Bitcoin has done this in a small way in terms of the overall world.

Don't be closed minded when it comes to cryptocurrencies.

As you can see I have all BTC at the moment. So I'm not cheering on LTC or NMC in any way shape or form, just giving the benefit of the doubt that the free markets could choose it too to be a medium of exchange.

Time will tell..

Grin Grin Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Greedi

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

LitecoinTalk

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Bitcoin's success is due to its agreement between many people that it is "money". More so free-market money.

Litecoin and maybe namecoin (given more adoption) can be just as successful in terms of it being free-market money.

This is key. The free markets must choose it to be money. Bitcoin has done this in a small way in terms of the overall world.

As you can see I have all BTC at the moment. So I'm not cheering on LTC or NMC in any way shape or form, just giving the benefit of the doubt that the free markets could choose it too to be a medium of exchange.

Time will tell..

Grin Grin Grin

only one thing to say

+1

LitecoinTalk - Sign up today!
Try out LTC-Aarade!
Buy Shares!
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:51:11 PM

It might very well be something different than BTC that wins in the end (although not likely) but I want to be it wouldn't bet it won't be LTC as it's just a copy of BTC with a weird memory restriction to try and make mining more difficult on GPUs. Maybe someone will think of an actual improvement which cannot be incorporated into Bitcoin.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 07:53:23 PM

The freemarket has chosen.  Look at the "market cap" (I hate that incorrect term) of LTC vs BTC.

And I'll lay dollars to donuts that at their respective stages of development LTC is worth more than BTC was this far into their time existing. I'm sure you could sell 10,000 LTC right now and buy more than a couple of pizzas...
I'm not sure why you think this is a valid argument. Solidcoin was worth around half a dollar each once, but is merely a relic of the past now. IxCoin gained much quicker adoption than Bitcoin when it launched, but is laughable in adoption now. Why wouldn't LiteCoin suffer the same trajectory?
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:02:54 PM

The freemarket has chosen.  Look at the "market cap" (I hate that incorrect term) of LTC vs BTC.

You should probably stop thinking in the short term. Let's revisit this discussion in 1 year. Then we get a better take on where things are headed for LTC and BTC>

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .

Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 09:47:41 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2012, 10:09:31 PM by Stephen Gornick

There is more to come from Bitcoin in terms of capabilities (easier to use multi-party signatures, smart contracts, etc.) but Bitcoin will always have some shortcomings including requirements for anonymity, transaction fees, microtransactions (volume limits), security, reversability (with bitcoin, this is the confirmation time), etc.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Ideal_Properties_of_Digital_Commodities

The solutions that could fill in the blanks where needed don't necessarily need to be alternate currencies.  Redeemable codes issued by the exchanges are one (relatively poor) approach.    A decentralized proof-of-work blockchain currency will likely have most of the same shortcomings as bitcoin.

Open Transactions (OT) is very well suited to be one of the technologies that becomes successful at filling in the gaps -- better privacy (blinding), instant transactions with no confirmation delay, low or no fees, microtransactions, transparency into an asset's "backing" -- once auditing module is developed, etc.)

Because OT doesn't offer the prospect of direct financial gain to speculators it doesn't get hardly anywhere near as much attention as it should,  There are some bitcoiners who are helping to develop, build, test, operate and improve OT technology.  I would bet that OT has more impact on cryptocurrencies in the next year to five than LTC ever will.

Now I'm not saying there's no place for LTC, and after GPU miners give up on BTC mining following the one-two punch from the block reward drop and the arrival of FPGA clusters and ASICs, hobbyist mining operators will probably switch to LTC mining -- at least those who aren't paying hardly anything for electricity.  But without an alt improving much over bitcoin other than how it can be mined by a wider subset of the general population then I don't see it following Bitcoin's path.  I see a lot of speculation hoping it will, but that's not the same thing.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 10:19:57 PM

There is more to come from Bitcoin in terms of capabilities (easier to use multi-party signatures, smart contracts, etc.) but Bitcoin will always have some shortcomings including requirements for anonymity, transaction fees, microtransactions (volume limits), security, reversability (with bitcoin, this is the confirmation time), etc.

- http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Ideal_Properties_of_Digital_Commodities

The solutions that could fill in the blanks where needed don't necessarily need to be alternate currencies.  Redeemable codes issued by the exchanges are one (relatively poor) approach.    A decentralized proof-of-work blockchain currency will likely have most of the same shortcomings as bitcoin.

Open Transactions (OT) is very well suited to be one of the technologies that becomes successful at filling in the gaps -- better privacy (blinding), instant transactions with no confirmation delay, low or no fees, microtransactions, transparency into an asset's "backing" -- once auditing module is developed, etc.)

Because OT doesn't offer the prospect of direct financial gain to speculators it doesn't get hardly anywhere near as much attention as it should,  There are some bitcoiners who are helping to develop, build, test, operate and improve OT technology.  I would bet that OT has more impact on cryptocurrencies in the next year to five than LTC ever will.

Now I'm not saying there's no place for LTC, and after GPU miners give up on BTC mining following the one-two punch from the block reward drop and the arrival of FPGA clusters and ASICs, hobbyist mining operators will probably switch to LTC mining -- at least those who aren't paying hardly anything for electricity.  But without an alt improving much over bitcoin other than how it can be mined by a wider subset of the general population then I don't see it following Bitcoin's path.  I see a lot of speculation hoping it will, but that's not the same thing.

You bring up some good points.

+1

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2012, 10:29:03 PM
Last edit: August 04, 2012, 11:50:08 PM by markm

Actually, speculators have been doing very well using Open Transactions. Moving currencies from a blockchain format vulnerable to superior hashing power attacks to an Open Transactions server turns out to have provided all the benefits of limited amount issued currencies without the problems of trying to back coins minted by people who have no intention of backing them and without the problem of attacks from various zealots who enjoy attacking alternative currencies.

-MarkM-

EDIT: Just as an initial sketch toward putting some stats into HTML form see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/inlitecoins.html

EDIT2: Same data expressed in terms of DeVCoins: http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/indevcoins.html

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 04:42:09 AM

Time will tell..

Grin Grin Grin
The point being ?

Is that all ??
You provide no argument for BTC, NMC or LTC,   WHY oh WHY these posts ?

goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 04:47:34 AM

Love y'all!

The point being?Huh     Love y'all!

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 05:01:33 AM

Look at the "market cap" (I hate that incorrect term) ...

Me too. Try "Fiat cap." instead.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
smoothie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:00:25 AM

Time will tell..

Grin Grin Grin
I left that part for you. Let's hear it
The point being ?

Is that all ??

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 

tatsuchan

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 09:35:01 PM

Time will tell..

Grin Grin Grin
The point being ?

Is that all ??

muqali

View Profile
August 10, 2012, 10:41:19 PM

I don't know any numbers, but I'm curious how much alt currencies are used to launder BTC used in illicit activities? I mean I'm merged mining several and someone keeps trading BTC for them on the exchanges. I surely wouldn't give up BTC for anything other than maybe LTC, and even then it'd only be a small fraction of my total BTC.

Alt currencies, for me, are a I'll have what I mine, keep a small reserve in case it goes up in value, trade the rest for BTC.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 04:09:37 AM

Only thing is if LTC or NMC were more secure somehow or an INTERFACE were made that is more user friendly as that is thats holding back bitcoins

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
muqali

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 04:29:44 AM

Only thing is if LTC or NMC were more secure somehow or an INTERFACE were made that is more user friendly as that is thats holding back bitcoins
While I don't know of an armory style client for LTC, their client mirrors the BTC reference client.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 04:37:41 AM

Alt Chains may be the future
FTFY.

"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"  Wink
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 06:21:03 PM

Alt Chains are not the future
FTFY.

"It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future"  Wink

FTFY.

Alt Chains refers to a group of cryptocurrencies excluding Bitcoin, while the future refers to a timeframe. Therefore, Alt Chains are distinct from the future.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 11:28:22 PM

I think free market may choose currencies with Proof of Work that can be done on CPU /GPU / FPGA based computers, because minor tweaking in the crypto algorithm will not entail new hardware (read ASIC) investments and would not make a whole generation of devices worthless.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 12:00:53 AM

I think free market may choose currencies with Proof of Work that can be done on CPU /GPU / FPGA based computers, because minor tweaking in the crypto algorithm will not entail new hardware (read ASIC) investments and would not make a whole generation of devices worthless.

Remind me again why the free market that determines which currency to use gives one iota to whether or not a whole generation of other people's devices are made worthless?

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █