Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:27:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What could cause Bitcoin to fail?  (Read 5672 times)
BrightAnarchist (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 853
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:04:44 AM

Everyone around me (in meatspace that is, not on the forums) tells me I shouldn't be so reckless by putting so much of my savings into BTC.

But really - what are the real risks here? Under what scenario could bitcoin possibly fail?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Yankee (BitInstant)
Legendary

Activity: 1078

Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 02:05:59 AM

'Shutting Down' is almost impossible, Bitcoin is like p2p file sharing, as long as 2 people are using it than it cannot be.

However, it can be severely choked.

Bitcoin pioneer. An apostle of Satoshi Nakamoto. A crusader for a new, better, tech-driven society. A dreamer.

More about me: http://CharlieShrem.com
nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 02:07:40 AM

If you ever see a spend from this address:
1111111111111111111114oLvT2
Sell your bitcoins immediately; it means we are all doomed and the system has been broken from the start.
goodlord666

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

100%

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:02:00 AM

Evil never fails.

error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:11:19 AM

It's always a bad idea to keep all your eggs in one basket, as it were.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
Nesetalis

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:12:24 AM

extinction of the human race might cause bitcoin to fail, but hey maybe some aliens will come by, find it a cool idea and take it up!

ZOMG Moo!
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 05:33:37 AM

This should do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpKda4Tj4H8

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:33:45 AM

It's always a bad idea to keep all your eggs in one basket, as it were.
Quote from: Sci Fi Author Robert A. Heinlein
Put all your eggs in one basket, and then watch that basket!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:39:14 AM

Yep.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s22JijLKEw

I like how they both used Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 05:42:37 AM

Everyone around me (in meatspace that is, not on the forums) tells me I shouldn't be so reckless by putting so much of my savings into BTC.

But really - what are the real risks here? Under what scenario could bitcoin possibly fail?

Right now a government could run an on going 51% attack without much trouble. I don't think we're completely out of the woods on this until the value of a days blocks is well over a million 2012 bucks.

I don't think interest waning to near nothingness is even a remote possibility at this point, but I guess that is a scenario.

My understanding is that mainstream crypto has never broken suddenly, there is always time to switch. But it isn't completely impossible I guess.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 05:59:57 AM

Right now a government could run an on going 51% attack without much trouble. I don't think we're completely out of the woods on this until the value of a days blocks is well over a million 2012 bucks.
Is there any country that could sustain a 51% attack for long before another equally large superpower countered their attack?

Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938

What's a GPU?

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:01:37 AM

As Bitcoin grows and gains popularity, and hate, and takes business from large and monopolistic foundations, a 51% attack will be a viable option for these people. The only problem is that most people with any sense realize Bitcoin is a great thing, and probably wouldn't want to kill it. But then again, all it takes is the man in control of a SHA256 optimized supercomputer pressing a few keys...

Is there any country that could sustain a 51% attack for long before another equally large superpower countered their attack?

If a 51% attack comes about, I wouldn't doubt that someone with power will be ready or at least willing to counter it.

Ohh and today's my birthday Cool

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Tim Johnson

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:07:39 AM

A global government takeover of all network infrastructure, with forced licensing of all network devices and central auditing of all network processes with the intent of expelling Bitcoin could do the trick.

The key here is global governance of all telecommunications.
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 06:27:48 AM

A global government takeover of all network infrastructure, with forced licensing of all network devices and central auditing of all network processes with the intent of expelling Bitcoin could do the trick.

Not going to happen.

Tim Johnson

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:29:58 AM

Not going to happen.
A resolution to give the UN authority over telecommunications is currently in progress.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:45:14 AM

Not going to happen.
A resolution to give the UN authority over telecommunications is currently in progress.
A huge bureaucracy trying to keep a step ahead of hackers. Not gonna happen.

Tim Johnson

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:47:03 AM

Not going to happen.
An individual hacker is irrelevant in a world where every computing process, every user, every piece of hardware, every watt of electricity, every packet of data has to be approved, logged, tied to verified biometrics and tracked by a bureaucrat backed by force.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:53:52 AM

Not going to happen.
An individual hacker is irrelevant in a world where every computing process, every user, every piece of hardware, every watt of electricity, every packet of data has to be approved, logged, tied to verified biometrics and tracked by a bureaucrat backed by force.

If we have a world like that, then how we buy our rice and beans is the least of our worries. That's a little Alex Jonesy for me.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2012, 06:56:20 AM

Not going to happen.

The UN couldn't find its ass in a bright room.

Tim Johnson

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 06:57:47 AM

Not going to happen.

If we have a world like that, then how we buy our rice and beans is the least of our worries. That's a little Alex Jonesy for me.
We will likely not have a world like that unless people are convinced they can't secure their own software.  If people get scared enough about a "terrorist" compromising or abusing the systems of the world and killing them, we might have the world described above.

Fortunately, most of our cybersecurity has come from private developments. We believe people like ourselves are capable of taking care of things. Else, people would give government "gods" an excuse to take everything over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: