Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:45:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using mining gear for other financial purposes?  (Read 6079 times)
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 12:17:15 PM

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum that came up with solutions on where to utilize the computing power most people may have here. However not on the Bitcoin network, but for renting it out to other companies or agents that would be able to sell the computing power.

I am just thinking as a plan B if everything fails in regards to mining on the Bitcoin network.

Anyone has any suggestions for where someone can utilize high performance computing?

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
layyen

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:17:48 PM

i have been looking for the same, and didnt find anything which worth more then ele... costs Sad but of course you can mine another currencies Smiley
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 07:51:55 PM

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum that came up with solutions on where to utilize the computing power most people may have here. However not on the Bitcoin network, but for renting it out to other companies or agents that would be able to sell the computing power.

I am just thinking as a plan B if everything fails in regards to mining on the Bitcoin network.

Anyone has any suggestions for where someone can utilize high performance computing?

You can look around russian hacking/cracking forums and see if anyone is in need of cracking hashed passwords.

Signature space available for rent.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 05, 2012, 11:50:43 PM

what about generating vainty addresses?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 12:16:48 AM

I think I saw a thread somewhere on the forum that came up with solutions on where to utilize the computing power most people may have here.

This thread?

- http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=94192.0

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Jessica

Activity: 174

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 04:23:36 AM

password cracking, of course.
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 08:02:35 AM

Hmm I find it hard to believe all this processing power cannot be utilized more efficient. There are tons of universities, government agencies and what not out there that needs to solve complex problems. There must be a better way to utilize all this power beside mining Bitcoin.

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<JackH> lmao
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:27:22 AM

BOINC does something similar to that which you propose.

The problem for a pool operator is that they'd need to release a new client (or new module) for every new job that needs to be done. The work would have to be profitable to make this worth while. Soon though it might be the only way GPU owners can profit since ASIC and FPGA miners will arrive soon - but they can only calculate SHA256 hashes, whereas GPUs can perform any calculation available to OpenCL/CUDA.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 08:52:39 AM

While BOINC seems like a perfect thing, it lack payment plans. It is actually incredible Bitcoin is the first and one and only project that allows people to utilize processing power to earn money. This should by now be a common business model.

<JackH> lmao
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 08:54:15 AM

BOINC does have some sort of credit system. Shouldn't be too hard to change it to a different payment system - say, based on bitcoin for ease of payment.

dust

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 11:41:47 AM

Litecoin

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 11:49:34 AM

Good point - ASICs and FPGAs made for bitcoin solving can't be used for Litecoin, so reaper gives GPU owners a chance to keep earning. I don't think it was what the OP was getting at though.

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 12:54:38 PM

Good point - ASICs and FPGAs made for bitcoin solving can't be used for Litecoin, so reaper gives GPU owners a chance to keep earning. I don't think it was what the OP was getting at though.
cgminer also supports scrypt now

I have been wondering on this topic since about a month after I opened the pool
whoever solves this could become very wealthy

We have a huge resource thats great for sha256, how can we use this resource for other applications. And more importantly how do we sell this to the market we identify
"Hi I have a bunch of home computers in a distributed computing network, can I sell you some hashpower" - sounds legit Tongue

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
August 06, 2012, 06:10:25 PM

At the beginning, I had way too many Nvidia GPU used for F@H,   So I though of a market were one could pay BTC for F@H credits sent under his name or team.  (ex. Chimp Challenge) http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1027661

It would have been a way for ATI owner or BTC riches to participate in F@H.

BTC's ease of small payment and small fees would have been the enabling feature.
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820

View Profile
August 06, 2012, 06:34:32 PM

Would OpenCL be any good for writing programs that emulate neural networks? I don't know how one would make money doing this, but it's something I would enjoy at least as a hobby.
Cranky4u

Activity: 810

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 02:18:52 AM

cgminer also supports scrypt now

I have been wondering on this topic since about a month after I opened the pool
whoever solves this could become very wealthy

We have a huge resource thats great for sha256, how can we use this resource for other applications. And more importantly how do we sell this to the market we identify
"Hi I have a bunch of home computers in a distributed computing network, can I sell you some hashpower" - sounds legit Tongue

if cgminer now supports scrypt, does this mean my FPGA array can mine LTC?

organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 02:45:13 AM

if cgminer now supports scrypt, does this mean my FPGA array can mine LTC?

No. Unless your FPGAs can support scrypt too.

layyen

Activity: 172

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:00:56 PM

scrypt need fast access to memory, its not posible to do through usb ... needed direct access...
CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:32:00 PM

CoinLab's Pool! We don't have HPC jobs online yet, but expect they will be available through our pool within the next couple months. Check out our announcement thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99643.0
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 13, 2012, 08:53:00 PM

Well what I asking for was an alternative "outside" of this industry. The worse thing is to keep working within the same industry, if that industry for some reason is about to fail or simply provides too little funds to make a good living out of it. Lets call it saturation for the sake of the argument.

Now I am not saying Bitcoin is gonna blow anytime soon, if ever. But what I am saying is that there will be a lot of GPU's sitting there doing nothing because they are too expensive to run compared to the myriad of FPGA cards coming out now, and one day ASIC.

So what should all that processing power do? Go to waste and never be used?

I remember I once stumbled upon articles stating how the Japan had denied Iran and North Korea access to PS2 boxes, as those could be utilized for their great processing power: http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s119754.htm
However I am not sure our current technology would apply to this scenario and a PS3 or any other computer chip for that matter can handle all the processing need of warfare now at days?

So from this I extrapolate that there must be a need for processing power, even many years later than the PS2 ban. Not that I am all in for processing for Iran or North Korea here, but if one needs it, more must also need it.

What I lack to find is someone that would actually pay for it. That or we are simply to far ahead of the rest of the world thinking in terms like we do in the Bitcoin industry.

<JackH> lmao
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: