Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:20:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Using mining gear for other financial purposes?  (Read 6079 times)
CoinLab

Activity: 270
Merit: 250

1CoinLabF5Avpp5kor41ngn7prTFMMHFVc

View Profile WWW
August 13, 2012, 09:04:23 PM

Well what I asking for was an alternative "outside" of this industry. The worse thing is to keep working within the same industry, if that industry for some reason is about to fail or simply provides too little funds to make a good living out of it. Lets call it saturation for the sake of the argument.

Now I am not saying Bitcoin is gonna blow anytime soon, if ever. But what I am saying is that there will be a lot of GPU's sitting there doing nothing because they are too expensive to run compared to the myriad of FPGA cards coming out now, and one day ASIC.

So what should all that processing power do? Go to waste and never be used?

What I lack to find is someone that would actually pay for it.

JackH, that is exactly what Coinlab hopes to bring on with this new pool, the ability for GPU miners to continue profitably earning bitcoins in the future by using their GPUs for scientific compute jobs outside of the Bitcoin network. 

We are confident we will be able to find work for our pool that will pay more than bitcoin mining will in an ASIC dominated mining environment, which is why we are willing to provide a profit guarantee to those who join our pool.

In short we agree that GPUs should not "go to waste", and we are willing to provide a payment guarantee and take on the risk of trying to find someone who can use it!
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JackH (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 255

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 11:16:00 AM

On top of my head I can imagine rendering services could use processing power. Was it not Pixar that bought a farm of servers to render their Ice Age movies? And something like it took months to render each hour if I am not mistaken.

I bet that hardware did not earn itself in, but was a justified cost in order to launch the movie.

Now if they only had a farm they could rent to render their stuff........ Wink

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<helo> oh, you don't like a 20x increase? well how about 8192x increase?
<JackH> lmao
jagallout

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 09:27:38 PM

On top of my head I can imagine rendering services could use processing power. Was it not Pixar that bought a farm of servers to render their Ice Age movies? And something like it took months to render each hour if I am not mistaken.

I bet that hardware did not earn itself in, but was a justified cost in order to launch the movie.

Now if they only had a farm they could rent to render their stuff........ Wink

Hmm thats an idea....
Titanic did the same thing... a ton of linux machines clustered together to render the CGI (was that redundant?)
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2494

So perhaps a distributed graphics rendering engine for rent?
JackH (OP)

View Profile
August 17, 2012, 02:43:29 PM

Another member on this forum posted this link: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9230272/Kaspersky_pleads_for_crypto_help_to_probe_Gauss_malware

I wanted to repost it here, due to the fact that (despite they say brute-force wont help), our community is a bit more than the usual "brute force".

If Kaspersky Labs only wanted to give a prize out for this and enable us to log onto a pool we could hash, job would be done in.....10 min?

At least we could show some muscles.

Original post: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=100697.0

<helo> funny that this proposal grows the maximum block size to 8GB, and is seen as a compromise
<JackH> lmao
JackH (OP)

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 08:58:20 PM

Bump!

Nobody interested in working out something ?

<JackH> lmao
MaxSan

Activity: 369

View Profile
September 06, 2012, 09:29:21 PM

il ponint miners at something different. i have 1700 mhash and a BFL single if thats any help xP
theGECK

Activity: 411

View Profile
September 07, 2012, 11:56:59 AM

You could use Charity Engine - http://www.charityengine.com/ - uses your CPU but there's probably a way to make it use your GPU. Every share of work gets you an entry into their drawing. Previously they've been $10,000 pots but the last one was a $2,000 rig of some sort.

Use my referral codes for Bitcoin faucets and I'll send you 30% of my referral bonus - Win/Win! PM for details on all sites available or use one of the links here.

FreeBitco.in | FreeDoge.co.in
Syberia

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 08, 2012, 11:32:01 PM

I'm using my Bitcoin hardware for the same thing I used it for before I even knew Bitcoin existed - gaming.  Still waiting for the day that Skyrim becomes a "financial purpose," though.
JackH (OP)

View Profile
September 09, 2012, 04:28:56 PM

What we need is a pool that handles the "problems" for the people with hardware. A pool that caters to other types of processing needs than just Bitcoin.

<JackH> lmao
jayguar

Activity: 616
Merit: 526

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:33:01 PM

Rendering is one thing I can use it for in my studio. If it is really going to help rendering, then I should start planning immediately.

░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░░░░▄█████████████▄
░░░█████████████████
░░████▄░░░█████▄████
███▀██░░░███████████
██████░░░████████████
███▄██░░░██████▀█████
████░░░░░███████████
█████▄░░░░██████▀░░███
██████░░░░░▀▀▀░░░▄███
░░██████░░██▄▄▄▄████
░░░██████▄▀█▀▄████
░░░░▀█████████████▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
UNNAMED.EXCHANGE░░░░▄██░░
░░░░██░░░
░░░▀██▀░░
░░░░██░░░

░░▄▄░░░▄▄░░
░░███████░░
▐██▄█▄██▌
██▄  ▀  ▄██
░░░▄▄░░▄██▄░░
░░▀███▄███▌░░
░░░░██████░░░
░░░░▄███▀░░░░
░░░░░▄██░░░
░░░▄████░░░
░░██▀▄██▌░░
░░░░▀██░░
Luno

Activity: 504

View Profile
September 10, 2012, 12:39:15 PM

HF-trading with Open CL support: http://code.google.com/p/ga-bitbot/wiki/QuickStartGuideInDev
meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 12, 2012, 12:32:55 AM

I'm using my Bitcoin hardware for the same thing I used it for before I even knew Bitcoin existed - gaming.  Still waiting for the day that Skyrim becomes a "financial purpose," though.

Renting it out to buddies for $2/hour or whatever is the closest you'll get

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JackH (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:13:07 PM

BUMP!

With ASIC coming online we need alternatives more than ever. Otherwise we are going back to idle mode for thousands of GPU's/FPGA's. Anyone has ANY idea on how data mining can be archived beside BTC ?

<JackH> lmao
inbox

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 12:49:48 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2013, 01:54:58 PM by inbox

Nancarrow

Activity: 492

View Profile
October 02, 2012, 08:08:02 PM

Guys, I don't mean to sound like I am a shill for CoinLab, but did anyone actually read posts #21 and #23? I've joined them recently and it sounds like exactly what this thread is asking about. Admittedly all they've got is promises at the moment... but then, so do all the purported ASIC manufacturers who have caused us to ponder questions like this in the first place!

If I've said anything amusing and/or informative and you're feeling generous:
1GNJq39NYtf7cn2QFZZuP5vmC1mTs63rEW
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 12:22:11 AM

Easynews offers a way to earn bonus gigs of download by donating unused CPU hashing for medical research or something....World Community Grid.  There is interest in using GPU, but currently they have no project using GPU grid computing. and Easynews gives you 1GB of extra download per 7 days of CPU donated....fug that.

JackH (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2012, 09:39:52 PM

I just dont think anyone realizes how much power the Bitcoin economy has. If people really knew, we would be a processing gold mine by now. I think a fine project would be a portal portraying the resources and maybe even private pledges by miners that would like to offer resources.

Reaching out to "whomever" could be interested is the hardest part though.

<JackH> lmao
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: