Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:43:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jeers to mtgox  (Read 3716 times)
sadpandatech

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 02:07:44 AM

From their point of view this is a question of if this money is yours or your mums  Wink

I fail to see why there is a need for residence information in my name as long as the address matches what is on my driver's license.

There are plenty of people in situations where their residence is not in their name.. spouses, siblings, roommates, people whose permanent address is different from their residence... etc.

For example, when I was doing my undergraduate degree, I paid my roommate via my bank account and he wrote out all the checks for the rent.

a notarized copy of the rental agreemant probably would have worked.

To anyone else. BEFORE you move money to/from Gox, get your account verified!

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 02:23:34 AM

In Texas, notaries by law can't charge more than $6.

Them asking for your notarized proof of identity to cash out BTC is perfectly reasonable.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
AzN1337c0d3r (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:13:07 AM

After several PMs with mtgox_Alex. I was told my Car Insurance with me listed as one of the drivers was sufficient proof. I have submitted it and await my verification.

Them asking for your notarized proof of identity to cash out BTC is perfectly reasonable.

However, if I cannot notarize for whatever reason, they refuse to allow me to withdraw my BTC.

BTC is not recognized as money by any country in the world so therefore doesn't fall under the purview of any AML laws I'm aware of.

But IANAL. Any one with legal experience want to comment?

To anyone else. BEFORE you move money to/from Gox, get your account verified!

If there was a way to sticky a post...

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:10:07 AM

BTC is not recognized as money by any country in the world so therefore doesn't fall under the purview of any AML laws I'm aware of.

There's a long list of things which aren't money that are covered by AML legislation.  Money laundering very often involves using illicit money to buy items of value which are later sold to establish a "legitimate" trail for the money.  What the items are is irrelevant to whether or not they're being used as a means of laundering money.  They don't even have to be high value items. 

From an AML compliance point of view, it's even more important to verify for Bitcoin withdrawals.  In the case of withdrawals to bank accounts, at least the bank should have sufficient KYC information about their customer on record for the money trail to be followed if necessary.  There's nothing inherent in a Bitcoin address which identifies it as belonging to a specific person or which easily allows the origin and destination of BTC going to and from that address to be determined.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
AzN1337c0d3r (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:06:37 PM

There's a long list of things which aren't money that are covered by AML legislation.  

Could you provide that list?

Money laundering very often involves using illicit money to buy items of value which are later sold to establish a "legitimate" trail for the money.  What the items are is irrelevant to whether or not they're being used as a means of laundering money.  They don't even have to be high value items.  

From an AML compliance point of view, it's even more important to verify for Bitcoin withdrawals.  In the case of withdrawals to bank accounts, at least the bank should have sufficient KYC information about their customer on record for the money trail to be followed if necessary.  There's nothing inherent in a Bitcoin address which identifies it as belonging to a specific person or which easily allows the origin and destination of BTC going to and from that address to be determined.

I'm well aware of what money-laundering is.

The question is whether there are any AML laws giving mtgox the authority to indefinitely hold my coins just because I dont want to/can't pass/don't trust their verification procedures.

Note that in my hypothetical situation (I've finally been verified), I'm not withdrawing to cash anymore. I simply wanted my bitcoins back before I was verified.

Mt.Gox_Alex

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 01:38:25 AM

I am glad we found a way to solve this matter and this should be a reminder to everyone : There are many ways for you to be verified and many documents that will do just fine. The notarized documents are most of the time (for verified account) used in last resort when no other document can be sent.

So if you ever have problem when trying to be verified, just try to think out of the box and ask what can of document could be OK. Since we are working with many different countries we many not be always aware of what document you may have in your possession.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: