Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:05:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Use for bitcoin: Hiding assets from government  (Read 7616 times)
Peter Lambert (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 07:39:32 PM

Hi all. Perhaps this has been discussed before (in which case I am sorry for repeating) but I was just thinking about how people can use bitcoins to hide their assets from prying eyes.

Usually when talking about hiding assets from government, people refer to rich individuals. I would propose that this use of bitcoin could be used by poorer people as well. I remember seeing an application for some government help program (might have been medicaid) where one is inelgible for the program if one has more than $3000 in assets. To me this seems like a very small amount, just a couple month's expenses. If I had that much money and no job, the government aid would look very helpful, but since I have a savings I am inelgible until later, when my position is even more precarious. So I could swap some money for bitcoin to hide the value, then report to the government that my assets are below the threshhold and get the aid.

I admit this is a bit dishonest.

Thoughts?

-Peter-

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 07:45:43 PM

Governments are dishonest.  There is no honor amongst thieves. 

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:14:17 PM

Ahh.  My tax dollars at work.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
silversurfer

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 08:25:13 PM

Hi all. Perhaps this has been discussed before (in which case I am sorry for repeating) but I was just thinking about how people can use bitcoins to hide their assets from prying eyes.

Usually when talking about hiding assets from government, people refer to rich individuals. I would propose that this use of bitcoin could be used by poorer people as well. I remember seeing an application for some government help program (might have been medicaid) where one is inelgible for the program if one has more than $3000 in assets. To me this seems like a very small amount, just a couple month's expenses. If I had that much money and no job, the government aid would look very helpful, but since I have a savings I am inelgible until later, when my position is even more precarious. So I could swap some money for bitcoin to hide the value, then report to the government that my assets are below the threshhold and get the aid.

I admit this is a bit dishonest.

Thoughts?

-Peter-

You could do that with USD cash too. 

You would be the criminal.  Not Bitcoin.

That which is falling should also be pushed.
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 08:26:38 PM

THe government is the criminal for stealing the money.
He is not a criminal for taking it back by what ever means necessary.

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
Basiley

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:21:57 PM

Peter, you perfectly describe everyday existence/survival of [virtually any]corporations.
keeping pofit/funds away from social needs, stealing funds from social/country debts"
Ahh.  My tax dollars at work.
probably.
Indemnified

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 09:31:16 PM

I have no problem with anyone wanting to keep their assets private. But I question the ethics of then using the system you do not support. A parasite is locked in to a dance with the (hated?) host, and if the host perishes, the parasite must find a new host or perish as well. Doesn't sound like freedom to me.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 09:45:43 PM

Drink the blood of the parasite! Don't become reliant on it!

But seriously, you know why the walfare class has huge tvs and cars? They can't keep money in the bank without losing the support. They can have as many flat screens as the want though. Much better for them if they can save up value instead.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
May 25, 2011, 10:10:19 PM

Yes, you could do this. I have no moral qualms about it whatsoever. Put it this way: Last year, my bicycle was stolen. I was furious. I loved that bike. Let's say I'm walking down the street tomorrow, and see my bike leaning up against a post. Is it immoral or criminal for me to hop on my stolen bicycle and ride away?

However, I urge caution. Firstly because you run a risk of fines and/or incarceration. I pay my taxes because I don't like running that risk. Secondly, because becoming reliant on government money is a kind of death, in terms of your independence, prosperity, and mental health. It's like moving back in with your parents, except in this case your parents are violent sociopaths.

abyssobenthonic

Activity: 98

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 05:54:39 AM

This just in.... Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 07:44:33 AM

Well for me, I would like to hide an emergency fund that NO ONE can touch or find. Forget gold, cash or swiss bank accounts.
I can make a wallet.dat file, encrypt it and then store it far far away in multiple locations that are only in my mind. NO ONE would ever find it.
Then I'd be able to get at my funds once I'm out of prison or running to another country.
Right?

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2164

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 08:14:45 AM

Then I'd be able to get at my funds once I'm out of prison or running to another country.
Right?

Sure.  But if They sent you some of the bitcoins that were in that wallet then They might be able to track you down when you use those coins at a Ferrari dealership that is cooperating with or run by Them.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 08:16:21 AM

Ok I need to know quick please..
Only have a few more hours.

Right?

Sure.  But if They sent you some of the bitcoins that were in that wallet then They might be able to track you down when you use those coins at a Ferrari dealership that is cooperating with or run by Them.

chickenado

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 09:25:06 AM

Hiding money is easy. Even before Bitcoin it was easy.

Spending that money without detection, that's the hard part. That's where they are watching you. 
da2ce7
Legendary

Activity: 1222
Merit: 1016

Live and Let Live

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:24:08 AM

Hiding assets is hard... e.g. a house, or a car.

They don't mind you hiding cash, because of inflation they make it worthless over time anyway.

Bitcoin is good, because it holds it's value.  So you can hide real 'wealth' instead of play-money.

Cheesy

One off NP-Hard.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 10:37:36 AM

I'm going to make 3 usb thumb drives then bury them 5 miles apart. How do you suggest I weather proof them?

Hiding assets is hard... e.g. a house, or a car.

They don't mind you hiding cash, because of inflation they make it worthless over time anyway.

Bitcoin is good, because it holds it's value.  So you can hide real 'wealth' instead of play-money.

Cheesy

Lilium

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:46:29 AM

I'm going to make 3 usb thumb drives then bury them 5 miles apart. How do you suggest I weather proof them?

Sealed plastic bags should do the job.
Also put it in a metal box of some sort, otherwise it might get damaged by pressure etc.

And I'd recommend storing your wallet somewhere on the net, otherwise you might run into bad luck if you get out of jail after 20 years and they had the idea of building a new skycraper cityscape at the places you buried your "Money".
eturnerx

Activity: 84

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:52:33 AM

Include a moisture sucking sachet or two in the package to deal with an condensation that might build up in the bag. You don't want corrosion making the drive unreadable. Or, you could try submersing the flash key in non-biodegradeable oil to keep oxidisation at bay.
bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 10:56:11 AM

Just got the call, I have an extra week. Good.

Buying bitcoins: sending cash in the mail, they'll never know it was me.
Saving bitcoins: Burying 3 thumbdrives in small jar of mineral oil.
Spending in 10-20 years: hopefully it will be $1,000 USDBTC. Anonymously sending to friends to cash in then give me cash.

Will the coins still post to my wallet if I had to already stop my software and bury the disks?

bitpop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 10:58:23 AM

Hence the 3 thumb drives 5 miles apart.

I might do a few places on the net but i dont know of any site that saves files that long. a yahoo mail account will get delete.

Sealed plastic bags should do the job.
Also put it in a metal box of some sort, otherwise it might get damaged by pressure etc.

And I'd recommend storing your wallet somewhere on the net, otherwise you might run into bad luck if you get out of jail after 20 years and they had the idea of building a new skycraper cityscape at the places you buried your "Money".

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: