Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:33:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Max Keiser - "Libertarians are Intellectually Lazy & Idiots"  (Read 10369 times)
niemivh (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 11:16:59 PM

How did FDR bailout the bankers?  What specific policy are you talking about?

That's what Max says in the video.  Didn't you even watch it?

(notice the intellectual laziness involved in dodging this question)

Of course, when someone isn't intellectually lazy I'm stunned by it.

I'll keep my politics out of your economics if you keep your economics out of my politics.

16LdMA6pCgq9ULrstHmiwwwbGe1BJQyDqr
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:12:51 AM

A bigger problem is not laziness but that there are only 24 hours in a day and a declining standard of living.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:25:33 AM

I would like to see a real Libertarian plan for a civilization that would actually work. If there is one, why haven't they created it yet?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 02:28:47 AM

I would like to see a real Libertarian plan for a civilization that would actually work. If there is one, why haven't they created it yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 02:32:31 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History
Ah Vikings! Let's be Vikings! "Behold your fields so green, whisper tales of woe."

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 05:12:16 AM

You are taking part in it. The plan is to just replace governments and their creations piece by piece with superior decentralized alternatives. If these alternatives don't get created or adopted, perhaps there is still a need for government intervention in that realm. The idea that everything should be planned out beforehand is for other people to do.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 06:25:04 AM

You are taking part in it. The plan is to just replace governments and their creations piece by piece with superior decentralized alternatives. If these alternatives don't get created or adopted, perhaps there is still a need for government intervention in that realm. The idea that everything should be planned out beforehand is for other people to do.

haha, lol. extremely well put!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 08:19:26 AM

That's like asking a Baby in the womb what career they will lead in life.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:35:14 AM

I see the decentralization movement not replacing government, just decentralizing it. Libertarians believe in no government and survival of the strongest. Historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History Other than Vikings living through raiding unsuspecting villages, I don't see a culture of selfishness actually working. Eventually collectivism of some sort will overpower warlords.

I can see Bitcoin promoting privacy where government does not interfere with the individual without cause, such as taxation without representation. In fact, Bitcoin will probably eliminate the need for national borders and limit the ability of large-scale warfare because money is globally interdependent.

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:36:58 AM

I see the decentralization movement not replacing government, just decentralizing it. Libertarians believe in no government and survival of the strongest. Historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History Other than Vikings living through raiding unsuspecting villages, I don't see a culture of selfishness actually working. Eventually collectivism of some sort will overpower warlords.

I can see Bitcoin promoting privacy where government does not interfere with the individual without cause, such as taxation without representation. In fact, Bitcoin will probably eliminate the need for national borders and limit the ability of large-scale warfare because money is globally interdependent.

What is America? look at all our wars.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:39:11 AM

That's easy, America is a Corporatocracy.

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 10:42:55 AM

since when

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:00:59 AM

since when
Since before you were born.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:20:16 AM

Libertarians believe in no government and survival of the strongest. Historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History Other than Vikings living through raiding unsuspecting villages, I don't see a culture of selfishness actually working. Eventually collectivism of some sort will overpower warlords.

WTF have you been smoking?

You take one example, of Medieval Iceland, twist it all up wrong, and say "historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare"? Come on, man. Nobody can be that stupid. You have to be trolling. The Vikings were from NorwayRoll Eyes

Tell me how a society based on this practices continuous warfare.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:31:36 AM

Libertarians believe in no government and survival of the strongest. Historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarcho-capitalism#History Other than Vikings living through raiding unsuspecting villages, I don't see a culture of selfishness actually working. Eventually collectivism of some sort will overpower warlords.

You take one example, of Medieval Iceland, twist it all up wrong, and say "historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare"? Come on, man. Nobody can be that stupid. You have to be trolling. The Vikings were from NorwayRoll Eyes

I simply asked for an historical example. The ones I was given were the Vikings that colonized Iceland and Early America that conquered and enslaved indigenous tribes. Neither lasted nor are even theoretically sustainable. I just think that Libertarianism is a pipe dream that does not consider the complexities of global affairs.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 11:45:47 AM

I simply asked for an historical example. The ones I was given were the Vikings that colonized Iceland and Early America that conquered and enslaved indigenous tribes. Neither lasted nor are even theoretically sustainable. I just think that Libertarianism is a pipe dream that does not consider the complexities of global affairs.

You're looking at the non-libertarian potions of the offered example societies, and saying, "see, libertarianism promotes these bad things" The problem is, that portions of an AnCap society have been implemented, but never the whole thing before. So any (non-fiction) example I give you is going to have holes. I can give fictional accounts of what an AnCap society might look like, if you'll take those as examples. I can give you theoretical constructions of the entire society, as well.

But to answer the original question, Why hasn't it been done before, the answer is pretty simple. The gangs who claim to be in charge of the land where we might set one up seem to feel that our trying would be a threat to their control. That, in and of itself, is all the evidence I need to be confident that it would work.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:56:49 AM

You take one example, of Medieval Iceland, twist it all up wrong, and say "historically Libertarians practice continuous warfare"? Come on, man. Nobody can be that stupid. You have to be trolling. The Vikings were from Norway.  Roll Eyes

You're looking at the non-libertarian potions of the offered example societies, and saying, "see, libertarianism promotes these bad things" The problem is, that portions of an AnCap society have been implemented, but never the whole thing before. So any (non-fiction) example I give you is going to have holes. I can give fictional accounts of what an AnCap society might look like, if you'll take those as examples. I can give you theoretical constructions of the entire society, as well.

But to answer the original question, Why hasn't it been done before, the answer is pretty simple. The gangs who claim to be in charge of the land where we might set one up seem to feel that our trying would be a threat to their control. That, in and of itself, is all the evidence I need to be confident that it would work.
This is why I have abandoned all the movements to change society. John Lennon had it right in Revolution. Bitcoin is a technology that can help bring positive changes. It won't happen in my lifetime, but this is a revolution in how to think about money.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 12:01:34 PM

This is why I have abandoned all the movements to change society. John Lennon had it right in Revolution Number 9. Bitcoin is a technology that can help bring positive changes. It won't happen in my lifetime, but this is a revolution in how to think about money.

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. Just look at the progress made already in the Free State Project.

Quote from: Henry Ford
If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right.

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 12:07:05 PM

This is why I have abandoned all the movements to change society. John Lennon had it right in Revolution. Bitcoin is a technology that can help bring positive changes. It won't happen in my lifetime, but this is a revolution in how to think about money.

Just because it's hard doesn't mean it's impossible. Just look at the progress made already in the Free State Project.

First you have to change human nature (whatever you think it is). That will take awhile. Behaviorists are working on that, but it won't happen soon. Ford was talking about nuts and bolts, not social mechanisms. Bitcoin is nuts and bolts that make us think about new paradigms, but it doesn't offer any solutions to social problems.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
August 09, 2012, 12:09:19 PM

First you have to change human nature (whatever you think it is). That will take awhile. Behaviorists are working on that, but it won't happen soon. Ford was talking about nuts and bolts, not social mechanisms. Bitcoin is nuts and bolts that make us think about new paradigms, but it doesn't offer any solutions to social problems.

Libertarianism has no plans to change human nature. We want to change the structure of society to utilize human nature, rather than fight against it.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: