Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:11:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you keep your Bitcoins on an exchange?  (Read 3401 times)
Tim Johnson (OP)

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:17:09 AM

Do you?

If so, let me be the first to tell you that you're in for some paperwork and frozen funds.
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 07:23:06 AM

do elaborate.....
I'm sure you have some fascinating insights Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
Mt.Gox_Alex

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 07:54:21 AM

Do you?

If so, let me be the first to tell you that you're in for some paperwork and frozen funds.

Here we go again... This is your 2nd thread on that matter, and good lord if we have AML/KYC procedures if for a REASON and not just simply because we though it was fun to annoy people! And YEP you can withdraw funds without being AML/KYC or a Verified/Trusted Mt.Gox member, a HUGE chunk of our customers are not verified!

Of course if you start using Dwolla, a VPN, Tor, sending funds to another account in another name/country/[Insert your choice] that is not yours... or LOT of reasons can trigger you to be verified.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
ErebusBat

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:55:58 PM

Of course if you start using Dwolla, a VPN, Tor, sending funds to another account in another name/country/[Insert your choice] that is not yours... or LOT of reasons can trigger you to be verified.
Good to see that Dwolla and Tor are on the same level.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
unclemantis

Activity: 98

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 03:58:27 PM

a very small amount. I do not use an exchange such as Mt Gox as my WALLET if you are asking.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:01:29 PM

i keep coin and cash on the exchange, but just enough to do some trading.

Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:17:53 PM

I used to keep all of my coins there, until about a month or so ago.  Back when the whole Bitcoinica/Gox thing was going down with Zhong, I was one who lost his.  So needless to say, I have gone back to a regular wallet.  I have gotten a Yubikey now for added security at Gox, but after that last instance, Ill keep my coins and money out of there unless I am doing something with them right away.

And with services like Bitinstant around, I dont see me really having much of a reason to use Gox, or any other exchange for that matter.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
Deafboy

Activity: 482
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:18:05 PM

I only keep money I am trading with on exchanges. The rest is lying on USB falsh disk.
Already gone through the paperwork with gox. I did not know why at first, but then I realized that I am running tor middle node on same server as I use as proxy to browse the web while I'm at work.
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 04:21:22 PM

i keep coin and cash on the exchange, but just enough to do some trading.

"the exchange"?? There's more than one.

Best bet is to spread them around. I have some offline. Some encrypted in various hiding places online. At least a handful in every exchange. Some on GLBSE. Spread your risk and diversify.

I'm grumpy!!
layyen

Activity: 172
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:52:45 PM

never keeping in exchanges more than something like 0.00xxxx Smiley i like to have all money in my online of offline wallet, the same with fiat money, i dont like to leave it in bank...
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:33:48 PM

Do you?

I do keep coins on various exchanges - about as many as I need. Never had problems of any kind. I keep money in the bank, too. I use credit cards, too. Once I had my credit card cancelled without prior warning or post-mortem notification. They thought they noticed "suspicious activity" and killed the card.
Seems like you are complaining about Gox. They are transparent about how they do business, and comply with government regulations. If you don't like it, don't go there, and don't waste everybody's time here bitching about it. You have a plenty of non-regulated, free, anarchic choices available to exchange your coins. Good luck.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 07:37:35 PM

"the exchange"?? There's more than one.

Best bet is to spread them around. I have some offline. Some encrypted in various hiding places online. At least a handful in every exchange. Some on GLBSE. Spread your risk and diversify.

Same here  Smiley

BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 07:43:43 PM

I do keep a not insignificant amount of both cash and coins on several exchanges, thought not in an amount large enough that it would be disruptive to my business and/or my way of life if any of the exchanges were to disappear.  I did remove ALL funds Intersango recently in anticipation of that exchange going down in the wake of Bitcoinica. 

evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:51:34 PM

I have a fairly insignificant amount of usd/btc (couple hundred bucks) at any given time on an exchange...I don't leave anything on the exchanges (or in btc for that matter) that I'm not prepared to lose. Given all the hacks and volitility, its a bad idea to approach btc any other way.
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 09:58:33 PM

I have a fairly insignificant amount of usd/btc (couple hundred bucks) at any given time on an exchange...I don't leave anything on the exchanges (or in btc for that matter) that I'm not prepared to lose. Given all the hacks and volitility, its a bad idea to approach btc any other way.
However if you want to take advantage of price swings you must Sad

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
evolve

Activity: 700

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:08:20 PM

It doesn't take a lot of money to trade and profit off of price swings.  I've doubled my original "investment" of a hundred bucks by trading manually and with a bot....could have been more, but I don't keep positions in btc for long (typically a day to a week at most) to minimize my risk/exposure to volitility.

The key though, is to only risk what you can afford to lose...if mtgox ran off with my money tommorrow, it would suck, but not impact my life at all, as I consider the money "lost" anyways.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 10:10:52 PM

I keep my coins with pirate

I can assure you there will never be any paperwork

Pirates never use paper unless it is a map of Treasure Island !!!!

Grin
thoughtcourier

Activity: 96

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 11:07:30 PM

Do you?

Here we go again... This is your 2nd thread on that matter, and good lord if we have AML/KYC procedures if for a REASON and not just simply because we though it was fun to annoy people! And YEP you can withdraw funds without being AML/KYC or a Verified/Trusted Mt.Gox member, a HUGE chunk of our customers are not verified!

Tim and my RL friend may not be talking about the same thing, but my friend just recently had his funds locked down and I am also worried about exchanges. From my understanding, it was actually because he filled out the AML paperwork incorrectly due to being a guy in his 20s who moves around a bit. To clarify, now he can't even get the bitcoins out to me (I offered to give him cash for his coins), so he is indeed frozen. I believe he's hassling mtgox about it, and is willing to prove he is the owner, but they are not in a hurry to unlock his account.

So... whereas I used to trust exchanges a lot, I have to say that I am getting a little skeptical. It's good to have tight security, but you have to back that up with reasonable customer service so that people can get their money out when they trigger false positives on your security screening.
Mt.Gox_Alex

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2012, 12:56:35 AM

Do you?

Tim and my RL friend may not be talking about the same thing, but my friend just recently had his funds locked down and I am also worried about exchanges. From my understanding, it was actually because he filled out the AML paperwork incorrectly due to being a guy in his 20s who moves around a bit. To clarify, now he can't even get the bitcoins out to me (I offered to give him cash for his coins), so he is indeed frozen. I believe he's hassling mtgox about it, and is willing to prove he is the owner, but they are not in a hurry to unlock his account.

So... whereas I used to trust exchanges a lot, I have to say that I am getting a little skeptical. It's good to have tight security, but you have to back that up with reasonable customer service so that people can get their money out when they trigger false positives on your security screening.

I am not sure that people understand the complexity of things here. We are not talking about your "average" local bank that can find many easy way to "trust" you and that can talk to you face to face and solve any issue you may have. We in the other hands work on a global scale with document that are sometimes not in our own languages and with different regulations and needs. In Japan we do not have bank statement for example so I cannot send any of such document to a company that ask for it. There are also people who do not have address at their name... Bottom line, yes this is can be unpleasant for some but the majority of people seems to go with it without much problems by simply providing the document needed and if you cannot there are still some other possibilities we can try.

Mt.Gox : The Leading International Bitcoin Exchange.
Mt.Gox Merchant Solutions :   Now Available!
Dacm4n

Activity: 363
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 03:48:44 AM

I used to with trade hill since I traded them around often but nowadays I keep them in my wallet.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: