Bitcoin Forum
July 10, 2024, 09:23:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to charge $30. in bitcoin?  (Read 1178 times)
garyrbeach (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 04:52:19 PM

HI,
I am about to start accepting Bitcoin at my hair salon.  I charge $30 for a haircut.  Do I need to look up the rate and convert each time I want to receive a payment?  Or is there a wallet that does the calculation from Dollars to Bitcoin on the fly.  I've downloaded Mycelium, but I don't see this as a fuction.

Thanks,
RocketSingh
Legendary

Activity: 1662
Merit: 1050

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 04:54:45 PM

HI,
I am about to start accepting Bitcoin at my hair salon.  I charge $30 for a haircut.  Do I need to look up the rate and convert each time I want to receive a payment?  Or is there a wallet that does the calculation from Dollars to Bitcoin on the fly.  I've downloaded Mycelium, but I don't see this as a fuction.

Thanks,

Check the API of CoinBase.com or BitPay.com. They'll serve your purpose, i.e. accept Bitcoin equivalent of $30 and transfer the FIAT to you...

cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 05:02:26 PM

Don't charge 30$
Charge them 0.1 BTC it's around ~29$. And bitcoiner's will get a discount for using bitcoin Grin

Also you can use some exchange's ticker to calculate the bitcoin price.
https://www.bitstamp.net/api/ticker/
Get this page and the "last" order (or which one you want), and calculate it like that; "Your price / last btc price".
30 / 290.88 = 0.10313531 btc

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 05:21:17 PM

Sound great, if you're not a expert or good at computer, you need find someone to set up the program for you and make sure your Bitcoin is keep from hack. Good luck!
CrackedLogic
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 05:38:32 PM

Use coinbase and it's merchant tools. It's great for beginners into bitcoin. All you would need to do , send a request for the price of the service and coinbase will automatically display and convert the price for you straight into bitcoin. It's also generates a QR code for you to use.

Shocked BUY GAMESWITHBTCITCOINFORDISCOUNTEDPRICES Shocked
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 06:00:41 PM

It's tricky because there is no official rate of exchange. You could choose a calculated and published rate like google, coinbase, etc. or you could decide for yourself. You could price it slightly cheaper if you use BTC. This is possible because you receive all the money and don't have to share some profits with a credit card processor. So you save 3% and offer a 1% discount for payment in BTC. Win/win.

Some wallet apps use their own rate and it is integrated into the functionality of the app. For example "Bitcoin Wallet" in the mobile wallet section. (https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet)
with that app you enter the amount you want to bill someone for and it kicks out the price in BTC along with a QR code they can scan with their phone. Very easy.   

P.S. I need a haircut. I would use you if you were in the Madison area.
~Cheers

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 07:03:43 PM

If you wanted to be super lazy about it, you could put preev.com in a browser window and type in 30 USD (and watch it auto-refresh), then put your BTC address/QR over/under it (either in a HTML frame or physically printed out).

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Cryptowatch.com

Activity: 196
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
March 16, 2015, 07:06:50 PM

A very simple solution for manual lookup and conversion is to use preev.com

-- http://preev.com/

But really, you do not need to change prices that often unless the price changes a lot, and round sums is not a bad idea. I guess it does not matters much if some customers pay 29$ worth of bitcoins and some 31$ worth, it evens out in the long run. And by setting a price in bitcoin, you contributes to making bitcoin an independent eco-system, rather than tieing it at the dollar all the time. Also, you might look into ordering stuff from vendors for your bitcoins, or pay others for services in bitcoin, so you contribute to growth within the bitcoin ecosystem.
techgeek

Activity: 826

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 10:13:27 PM

A very simple solution for manual lookup and conversion is to use preev.com

-- http://preev.com/

But really, you do not need to change prices that often unless the price changes a lot, and round sums is not a bad idea. I guess it does not matters much if some customers pay 29$ worth of bitcoins and some 31$ worth, it evens out in the long run. And by setting a price in bitcoin, you contributes to making bitcoin an independent eco-system, rather than tieing it at the dollar all the time. Also, you might look into ordering stuff from vendors for your bitcoins, or pay others for services in bitcoin, so you contribute to growth within the bitcoin ecosystem.

I would use this for almost everything, the conversion is real time to understand if the bitcoin is dropped without checking the exchange websites.

not everyone is on bitcoinwisdom constantly so use preev for in-hand transaction.

EcuaMobi
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1469

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:11:57 PM

Here you go:
https://ecua.mobi/request-payment/

Enter your address and the amount (ex: 30) and click submit. You'll get the BTC amount updated every 10 minutes and the QR Code to show.
Double check the address and the value, I didn't add any validation yet. Just bookmark the result so you don't have to enter the params every time.

For example you'll get a bookmark like this:
https://ecua.mobi/request-payment/?address=17P7dLnJmsBqm2gMh6D4jxz2q5FL9XT5RU&amount=30
(Note this is my address, do change it)
Don007
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1007

Live like there is no tomorrow!

View Profile
March 16, 2015, 11:33:06 PM

I would love to see my hairdresser accept BTC Smiley. Where do you live? You might better create a topic in a subsection on this forum of your country.
There might be some parties over there who can help you use such service over there (and even install everything etcetera).

{Curently quite inactive as I'm really busy in my private life. I will get back soon!}

-> Your line here during my inactivity? Feel free to PM <-
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 12:45:34 AM

Do you want to convert it to FIAT, or keep it as BTC? Either way, good on you for making BTC an option. I'd give you my business.
Bitcoinexp

Activity: 544
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:23:33 AM

Don't charge 30$
Charge them 0.1 BTC it's around ~29$. And bitcoiner's will get a discount for using bitcoin Grin

Also you can use some exchange's ticker to calculate the bitcoin price.
https://www.bitstamp.net/api/ticker/
Get this page and the "last" order (or which one you want), and calculate it like that; "Your price / last btc price".
30 / 290.88 = 0.10313531 btc
I think this would be fair, giving a discount for bitcoiners. Too many numbers might be disconcerting. For me, 0.1 is better than 0.12352798 or so. I second this.
kpitti
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:58:08 AM

As mentioned above you can use service like Coinbase for example. They have API.
It`s great idea it will be very nice to walk on the street and see your offer. I will not wait and go in. Hope it will be more and more people like you.
Good luck.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 11:50:43 AM

If you are using Coinbase then as the above members said they have an API, you can use that while in case of blockchain, the person who is sending you the amount, should confirm the price else just go to the Send tab and enter the amount you want in USD and the price will appear on the left hadn side in terms of BTC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: