Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:44:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does pool hopping really work?  (Read 16305 times)
grue (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:38:37 AM
Last edit: May 26, 2011, 01:57:03 AM by grue

Has anyone done any tests to prove that pool hopping actually works? i know there's a paper published a while ago with mathematical proof that it works, but is there any tests confirming this?

edit:
link to pool hopping topic: https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3165.0

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SchizophrenicX

Activity: 112
Merit: 100

"I'm not psychic; I'm just damn good"

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:50:40 AM

Can someone point me to that thread/article about pool hopping. I'm interested in reading about it and maybe adding to the newbies guide thanks Smiley

grue (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 01:57:07 AM

https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3165.0

eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 02:47:01 AM

Pools these days are designed to punish pool hopping, so it can't be done profitably.  This topic is only useful for people starting new pools--not sure it makes sense to have it in a newbies guide.

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
xenon481

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:51:00 AM

Pools these days are designed to punish pool hopping, so it can't be done profitably.  This topic is only useful for people starting new pools--not sure it makes sense to have it in a newbies guide.

The largest pool (deepbit) is not designed to punish pool hopping. The only safeguard that it has against pool hopping is delaying statistics. But that only increases the difficulty of pool hopping, it does not prevent or punish.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
eMansipater

Activity: 294
Merit: 273

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 02:53:50 AM

Ahh, but then who would you hop to?

If you found my post helpful, feel free to send a small tip to 1QGukeKbBQbXHtV6LgkQa977LJ3YHXXW8B
Visit the BitCoin Q&A Site to ask questions or share knowledge.
0.009 BTC too confusing?  Use mBTC instead!  Details at www.em-bit.org or visit the project thread to help make Bitcoin prices more human-friendly.
chaud

Activity: 17
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:57:07 AM

Any of the other smaller new pools that have no safeguards in place?
xenon481

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:57:40 AM

Any of the other smaller new pools that have no safeguards in place?

Or solo, or even Deepbit PPS.

anisoptera

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 06:07:21 AM

Ahh, but then who would you hop to?

It only matters that the pool you are hopping from doesn't implement score-based distribution. You can jump to one that does, like slush's. In fact, this helps you a bit because you'll get close to your EV for your hashrate quickly even if you come in late in a round.

Also it's easier to do this if the pool you're hopping from is small, so you can jump off after a 2 hour round or somesuch.

I was planning on implementing a proof of concept, but then I got bored. Tongue

grue (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 09:27:09 PM

so is there a consensus on whether it really works or not? It would be nice if someone could publish results showing whether it works or not.

xenon481

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 09:39:55 PM

so is there a consensus on whether it really works or not? It would be nice if someone could publish results showing whether it works or not.

Yes, it really works.

No, nobody has owned up to cheating everybody else out of money.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:42:25 PM

We've known for a while it works. My question is, who's responsibility is it to trying prevent this? Pool operators obviously don't have a big interest in keeping out computing power and I can't blame them. Though if it's just a matter of way the pool is being operated then, who else can? Soloing is an option, but not a great option for everyone. And lastly, is this really an issue that exist and can we detect this in any way with proof? The talks of it being possible has been around for a long time now.

You can probably detect it statistically from the distribution of block times for the pool.  If there is pool hopping then there should be a longer tail.  In the extreme case (which obviously doesn't happen) once a block takes too long everyone hops out and the block never finishes (infinite block time).  I don't know for sure there is enough data to make a strong statistical inference on this, but I would guess there is.

I would bet every BTC I own that there is pool hopping happening on at a fairly large scale, and people have automated it.  And I agree that the way things are structured now the pools don't have a huge incentive to do anything about it. The best thing to do is avoid pools without good defenses. 

xenon481

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:46:06 PM

We've known for a while it works. My question is, who's responsibility is it to trying prevent this? Pool operators obviously don't have a big interest in keeping out computing power and I can't blame them. Though if it's just a matter of way the pool is being operated then, who else can? Soloing is an option, but not a great option for everyone. And lastly, is this really an issue that exist and can we detect this in any way with proof? The talks of it being possible has been around for a long time now.

You can probably detect it statistically from the distribution of block times for the pool.  If there is pool hopping then there should be a longer tail.  In the extreme case (which obviously doesn't happen) once a block takes too long everyone hops out and the block never finishes (infinite block time).  I don't know for sure there is enough data to make a strong statistical inference on this, but I would guess there is.

I would bet every BTC I own that there is pool hopping happening on at a fairly large scale, and people have automated it.  And I agree that the way things are structured now the pools don't have a huge incentive to do anything about it. The best thing to do is avoid pools without good defenses. 

BitcoinPool was getting hit really hard with jumpers on long rounds a while back. They were seeing their hashrate get cut in half during long rounds.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:52:18 PM

BitcoinPool was getting hit really hard with jumpers on long rounds a while back. They were seeing their hashrate get cut in half during long rounds.

Notice that this sucks for the pool even though some of these people aren't even doing it in order to game the system.  They just feel like the pool isn't paying out very well so they want to try something else.  People are going to hop from a pool with the unexploitable score system if the round is really long, but at least in that case it won't hurt the people who don't jump.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:56:50 PM

It works to improve your miner's efficiency. It's not cheating: as with all improvements to efficiency, those who don't do it end up with less. Unlike other efficiency improvements, it doesn't help the network. The end result when everyone uses it could be problematic.

smooth
Legendary

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 10:59:34 PM

It works to improve your miner's efficiency. It's not cheating: as with all improvements to efficiency, those who don't do it end up with less.

I tend to agree as long as the pool doesn't have a rule against it.
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:10:05 PM

It works to improve your miner's efficiency. It's not cheating: as with all improvements to efficiency, those who don't do it end up with less.
I tend to agree as long as the pool doesn't have a rule against it.
Yeah, fair enough. Rules are rules, after all.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:21:06 PM

You can do more than just detect it. When Slush was planning on changing to score-based as a result of the paper, the comparison between share and score based pooling specifically showed three people who were pool-hopping. And this was a while ago.

slush
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097

View Profile WWW
May 26, 2011, 11:42:07 PM

Well, nobody *publicly* claimed that he's cheating others. But I'm sure that somebody implemented it, because free money are free money Smiley.

I wanted to implement it (and openly demonstrated) because of never ending discussion with some people (who don't understant that it really works), but then lost a motivation. It's their problem that they didn't catch it (actually they later introduced some anti-hoping strategy, too; you know who Smiley.

xenon481

View Profile
May 27, 2011, 12:06:19 AM

Well, nobody *publicly* claimed that he's cheating others. [...]

That's what I meant. "Owned up to" is an American idiom meaning "publicly admitted".

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: