Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:41:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoins could send me home...  (Read 1833 times)
karlp (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 02:58:52 AM

Yeah, ok, a bit dramatic, but lemme start from the top and maybe you'll see what I mean.

I left the US a year ago after a mental breakdown caused by domestic violence; if you really want to hear more about that, we can cover that later. It's not too great a story.

I left the US and went to Paris, where I first tried to join the French Foreign Legion, then washed dishes, performed magic, and finally became a freelance travel writer, in that order, but not that quickly. My blog, VagabondParis.com, still gets a lot of hits despite my having not updated it in a while. And the thing they say about starving artists? It's true.

And now, I'm trying to get back to the US, where I can hold an honest to God job and live in relative comfort... because the last few months I've been camping out in a forest, and I would love to have a bed and a regular warm shower.

Unfortunately, I can't work in the UK, no work visa! But then a friend showed me Bitcoins, and we looked at the numbers, and I found that a cheap flight costs about 488 USD, which figuring at about 8.50 USD to 1 BTC, is 57 BTC.

60 BTC and I can be back home, where I can work, see my family...

But I'm not a beggar. I won't turn away donations, that's silly and a bit self-destructive, but rather than ask for money, I would prefer that I offered some recompense for said coinage, digital as it may be.

I am skilled with Photoshop, Illustrator, Final Cut, Logic, Dreamweaver, Wordpress, you name it, I know it. I am a professional writer, so if you need something written, proofed, edited, I can do that. I know how to make films, clean cars, arrange flowers, build houses, run a business, no kidding, the only thing I can't do is fly a plane!

So, tell me what you want, what I can do to help you, help me get back home, give me some work so I can earn 60 BTC and get that plane ticket. I'm serious, I'm tired of living by my wits, I miss my sisters, and I want to go home.

Please message me, contact me through my blog (if you think that it's not me, I'll post my wallet on the blog, compare them, or even send me email) let me know what I can do. I won't turn away donations, but if we can help each other out, and I get to go home, everyone ends up happy.

Thanks.

Karl
AKA
Artemis
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:02:50 AM

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7034.msg103027#msg103027

Bitcoin sun is looking for writers, I believe there are still editing positions available.
karlp (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:08:49 AM

Thanks, let's see what I can do with that...
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:14:39 AM

No problem. I write for the development section, but feel free to pm me any questions.

I hope bitcoin can help you out... the fact that you can't work without a work permit is rather silly.
karlp (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:17:52 AM

Yeah, tell me about it. I never thought I'd be scrabbling like this.

KP
karlp (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 07:45:35 AM

I wanted to thank whoever it was that just sent me 1.5 BTC, your donation is very kind.

I've found a bunch of work writing, but I'm also a fairly good Photoshop and Illustrator guy, worked at Apple and I'm still Mac certified, and I even perform magic, so... trying to fit these into the BitCoin hodgepodge market system. Heady and wonderful, I'll say that...

Anyway, 1.5 down!
MagicalTux
VIP

Activity: 608
Merit: 501

-

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 08:05:46 AM

You know, if you told all that to the US embassy in Paris, I'm pretty sure they would help you get back to your country.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 08:06:44 AM

You know, if you told all that to the US embassy in Paris, I'm pretty sure they would help you get back to your country.

Yes, they'll buy you an expensive ticket back to the US, and then send you a bill for it. And you know what happens when you owe the US government money.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
karlp (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 11:30:08 AM

Yeah, you got it. And since when I get back to the US, I'll have no job or home, the US doesn't want to give me the repatriation loan...
semyazza

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 03:49:18 PM

Yeah, you got it. And since when I get back to the US, I'll have no job or home, the US doesn't want to give me the repatriation loan...

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/123611.pdf

Ability to repay is not required.

"Approval of a repatriation loan is not based on  an applicant‘s credit worthiness but rather destitution.  State repatriation loans are provided for temporary subsistence and transportation to a U.S. port of entry."

Page 553, Bottom of first paragraph under Program Description.
karlp (OP)

View Profile
May 26, 2011, 09:20:53 PM

Sorry dude, but when it comes to the US gov't, there's never, ever, ever such thing as a free lunch.

Luckily, due to an email from someone that works for Iceland Air, some coins brought in from work, and some small donations, I'm only 23.25 away from getting what I need! I'm pretty happy about that! Thanks to everyone that's helped so far, and frankly, I'm not going to quit freelancing, just probably relax my pace a bit once I get to the US.

Karl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: