Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:36:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Facebook Messenger App for iOS Gains Money Transfer Feature  (Read 890 times)
techman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1027

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:40:20 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/17/facebook-messenger-money-transfer/

Facebook today announced a new feature for its Facebook Messenger app for iOS -- money transfers. It's now possible for Facebook Messenger users to send and receive money right within the app, letting Facebook compete with other money sending services like Venmo and Paypal.

The new money sending feature is free to use. Sending a friend a payment can be done by tapping the "$" icon located on top of the keyboard, which is also where stickers are accessed and photos are inserted. After tapping the icon, enter the amount to send, tap "Pay" in the top right corner of the app, and add a debit card (Visa or MasterCard) to make the payment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 07:53:51 PM

This was really unnecessary. The application itself isn't lite at all on Android. I'm probably going to reject the upgrade.

Facebook why not just implement Bitcoin transfers for the sake of all?

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Bitcoin_BOy$

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

|| Web developer ||

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 07:58:35 PM

I thinking Facebook try to just make like those successful chat app who already integrate this feature ,
But i think they will develop it to be more attractive and better than any other app feature ,also
now days many company are in `war` to own a part in the online payment software like : google, apple ,,,

Kind Of respect ,
Bitcoin Boy .
redhawk979

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:01:21 PM

This was really unnecessary. The application itself isn't lite at all on Android. I'm probably going to reject the upgrade.

Probably because 99.999% of their users don't use Bitcoin?
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 08:04:41 PM

NO thanks, I don't even have their Facebook Messenger app for messaging any Facebook friends.

It's bad enough they already know my penis enlargement secrets, but now they'll know when I send Facebook whores money?!!!

Fuck that.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:19:33 PM

with paypal? and what about micro transactions? paypal have high comissions to make smal transactions
Somekindabitcoin

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:36:36 PM

I don't even know if any of my friends even use the Facebook messenger app after that privacy fiasco, let alone trust them now with my banking details.
techman (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1020
Merit: 1027

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:47:53 PM

Yes, privacy is more important. Snapchat added payment method too but no one use it?

juju

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 08:58:25 PM

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/17/facebook-messenger-money-transfer/

Facebook today announced a new feature for its Facebook Messenger app for iOS -- money transfers. It's now possible for Facebook Messenger users to send and receive money right within the app, letting Facebook compete with other money sending services like Venmo and Paypal.

The new money sending feature is free to use. Sending a friend a payment can be done by tapping the "$" icon located on top of the keyboard, which is also where stickers are accessed and photos are inserted. After tapping the icon, enter the amount to send, tap "Pay" in the top right corner of the app, and add a debit card (Visa or MasterCard) to make the payment.

Sounds awesome, I saw this earlier today. I think its good that the younger "social" crowd will get people comfortable with sending Money via chat message and other methods. When these users get a chance to use Bitcoin it will be less foreign of a concept and they will see the benefits by comparing it to something like this facebook send. Gliph, Wiper, Snapchat all can send cash some way or another. I think this trend is good even though they neglected to use BTC
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 09:21:30 PM

So who's paying the card processing fees? LOL, so it's debit both ways, not credit. Pin, login approvals, and touchID if you have IOS, but none of that will matter if their DB is hacked.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
HostFat
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 1203

I support freedom of choice

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2015, 09:25:04 PM

The money is instantly taken from their debit account and delivered to the recipient’s debit account.
Facebook never holds the money, though the receiver’s bank will usually take a few days to make the funds available as is standard.
Both users see a confirmation message detailing the transfer status and time.
It isn't instant (or faster than 10 minutes Smiley)

NON DO ASSISTENZA PRIVATA - http://hostfatmind.com
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 09:25:56 PM

Why? Why, is the question... I don't see how can this be more useful than a normal bank transaction. Sure, it's "just a tap". But who's trusting their money to Facebook just for the sake of being "just a tap" and the damn thing still take a few days to transact? I'd probably send money to Mt. Gox faster lol.

And about not implementing Bitcoin... Not even going to comment on that. It would be amazing win for them, but no Smiley
RAXS

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 09:35:54 PM

They can eventually do that, it would be another option to fund the account and it will compete directly with Visa and Mastercard cards.
rockBTC

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 17, 2015, 10:45:36 PM

didnt snapchat do this a few months ago? or was it another social media giant
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
March 21, 2015, 12:53:35 AM

Posted this in one of the redundant topics (since trashed) on this subject:

It's debit card based, and as such, will be mass database hacked in short order regardless of how many levels of security people put on their accounts individually. Let insane motherfuckers expecting a different result go through millions more stolen debit card disputes... eventually they will get a fucking clue that fiat payment methods are all ripe for theft.

I don't hold out much hope for them hearing us when we say never to keep BTC on private keys out of your exclusive control (worse than credit/debit databases, as there are no chargebacks in BTC), though.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: