Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 12:39:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you trust yourself to manage your own private keys?
Yes, 100%, and I always will. - 129 (82.2%)
Yes, only because I don't yet trust bitcoin banks. - 19 (12.1%)
Not at all, I lose everything, or am not technical enough. - 2 (1.3%)
No, but someday I'd like to manage my own bitcoin and private keys. - 7 (4.5%)
Total Voters: 157

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you trust yourself to manage your own private keys?  (Read 6853 times)
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2015, 04:48:12 PM

Xapo, do you think that all people are idiots unable to administer their own belongings? And your mission is to help poor, undecided people and store their private keys in your online vault? Because there - in you hands people's keys are forever safe. And no hackers, nor any other calamity could ever take out these keys... Right...

Maybe you can do it, but the vast majority (99%+) of the world population has no idea how to protect their computers - even people who worked as "IT security experts" for years occasionally fail to keep Bitcoins secure (e.g. Antonopolous).
A lot of those "IT security experts" or just "IT experts" are in general unskilled. I've seen examples of this throughout they years (no I'm not saying Antonopolous is).
We should work on educating people on proper security methods for both their wallets and computers at the same time. Both are connected. We should also recommend keeping funds in their own wallets instead of online services/wallets.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Cryddit
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1129

View Profile
April 06, 2015, 08:31:07 PM

I trust myself to manage my own keys, but I acknowledge that I am a VERY exceptional case. 

Unless the security of desktop operating systems (*cough* windows *cough*) gets a hell of a lot better, I don't think most people can.

Xapo (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 02:59:34 PM

I trust myself to manage my own keys, but I acknowledge that I am a VERY exceptional case. 

Unless the security of desktop operating systems (*cough* windows *cough*) gets a hell of a lot better, I don't think most people can.

I think that's my point. You have 85% of people who are saying that they will never trust a third party for storing their bitcoins. Naturally, 10 years from now, a percentage of these people will have lost some or all of their bitcoin (whether it be losing paper wallets, hacked computers, system failure, house fire, etc, it's inevitable, and undeniable). We've all lost cash in the past couple years, yet I doubt anyone here has lost cash FROM a bank (Of course, there may be some exceptions for our European friends in Iceland, or Cyprus, but I don't think they're present Wink I understand people don't want to use a third party, trust me, if it was practical to store my fiat cash myself, I would, but I don't believe it is.

Twitter: @xapo
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:01:21 PM

in a fair just society like Crypto i won't be so worried about losing a bit of coin

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:04:34 PM

I trust myself to manage them but I am also a security conscious person.

I doubt I would trust an average user or nontechnical user to safely manage their own keys.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2015, 03:19:21 PM

I can't really see the point to this question since it will depend on how well people trust the security of an app on a particular device,

Phones are going to be trusted straight out of the box being secure, some will eventually have preloaded apps the phone manufacturers

and developers would stand to lose Billions if their company was shamed with an insecure device or app, the whole stream would be

so tainted its unlikely any insecure devices will be made from any main brand companies,

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Xapo (OP)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2015, 06:14:38 PM

I trust myself to manage them but I am also a security conscious person.

I doubt I would trust an average user or nontechnical user to safely manage their own keys.
There are lots of people I would trust more than myself, but I understand it's a personality trait. I'm paranoid of losing things, my keys, my wallet, my cell phone, etc. While I lose those things far less often than the average person (which I attribute to my paranoia), there is something that inherently makes me questions my ability to not lose stuff, and since I have a fair amount of bitcoin, I'm putting it in the hands of someone I trust more than myself. I understand working on the inside of Xapo, knowing the security team, and seeing the security architecture internally first hand, makes me more trusting, but I trusted Coinbase (and probably still would) even before I started working at Xapo.

Twitter: @xapo
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  

Jump to: