Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:51:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What’s Money? Ask a Taxi Driver!  (Read 999 times)
Zanon (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:17:24 AM
Last edit: August 09, 2012, 10:01:02 PM by Zanon

Hi everybody,

I can't speak English very well, but I want to tell you why I believe in Bitcoin... in this way:

What’s Money? Ask a Taxi Driver! (I'm not the man of the story!)

Some years ago, one of the authors of this book learned a great lesson about money from Russian taxi drivers.
In August 1989, as part of a group of American economists, he traveled to Moscow and Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) in what was then the Soviet Union  to  discuss  with  Soviet  economists  some  economic  problems  faced  by  both countries.

Taking  taxis  in  Moscow  to  and  from  meetings  and  dinners  was  an  ordeal. The author’s hosts had given the U.S. economists rubles (Soviet currency at the time), but Russian merchants and taxi drivers discouraged payments in rubles. Taxi drivers quoted
a bewildering array of fares in terms of U.S. dollars, German marks, or Japanese yen. And the fares varied from cab to cab.

When the author relayed this frustration to his wife, she explained that she had no difficulties with taxis. She paid the fare with Marlboro cigarettes instead of currency!

The author used Marlboros the next day (no other brand worked as well) and was able to pay taxi drivers with great success. He found that the taxi drivers could easily convert all major currencies to Marlboro equivalents.

At least during that period, Marlboro cigarettes had displaced the official currency (rubles) as the money most widely used by Moscow taxi drivers.

From: Money, Banking, and the Financial System,  Ubbard - O'Brien - Ed Pearson

Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bcbuck

Activity: 9

View Profile
August 09, 2012, 11:31:08 AM

Excellent story :-)  I wonder how they dealt with those really short fares.....1/2 a ciggie for round the block?
thaayb

Activity: 216
Merit: 104

🥇🥉🎖

View Profile
August 11, 2012, 10:02:00 AM

Wuut --> That means smoking was really expensive that time Grin

Kind regards!
Yours, Thaayb.

MegaBrutal

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 01:17:22 PM

Good story! Thanks for sharing. Smiley

BTC: 18nAftZTnH4LjY9fPPow1aF5tGD1JiF7ZH
LTC: LV9MiA3iPVUm8qRFYbLkARuoYwvmHwhWaC

Buy some Negro candies!
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 02:06:52 PM

good post, cheers Smiley

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:17:29 PM

What are the currencies in the Jails in the USA?

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Marco Polo

Activity: 29

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 07:30:22 PM

I'm guessing shanks and cockmeat sandwiches?
Clipse

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 12, 2012, 08:51:32 PM

I'm guessing shanks and cockmeat sandwiches?

And on special days they get to barter their piss wine, erm.. I mean Toilet Wine.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
NeoCortX

Activity: 22

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2012, 10:53:25 PM

Good story, thanks
nrb

Activity: 15

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 02:44:15 AM

I came across a news article relevant to this recently. Apparently, the answer is honey buns, at least in some jails and prisons.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/honey-buns-sweeten-life-for-florida-prisoners/1142687
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: