Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:40:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What happens if you sell large amounts of bitcoisn through cash deposits?  (Read 1317 times)
Tabata11 (OP)

Activity: 290
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 12:51:14 AM

I'm planning on selling 30 bitcoins on localbitcoin by accepting cash deposits at banks. What will the banks do if they see multiple cash deposits ranging from $500-2500 in a span of 2 weeks? Need some cash by the end of this month...
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 19, 2015, 12:02:25 PM

It sometimes depends on your bank, account and the amounts going in-out, and the status of your account (if you had liquidity problems before it might trigger some questions)

In overall, if suddenly they see these kind of amounts coming in in cash, they may ask you where is that money from, why is it in cash, they may force you to contact the authorities, pay taxed for selling goods, the usual anti money laundering procedures..

You may ask you account manager how would they react and is it "OK" to sell Bitcoins in private at these amounts. but, these amounts aren't too high and may not be even suspicious..

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 12:07:52 AM

Depends on where you are too.
I've made larger cash deposits without raising any alarm.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 01:15:29 PM

I'm planning on selling 30 bitcoins on localbitcoin by accepting cash deposits at banks. What will the banks do if they see multiple cash deposits ranging from $500-2500 in a span of 2 weeks? Need some cash by the end of this month...
I doubt they would notice. 
Assuming you bought the coins at a higher price than now, which would not be difficult, you could tell them what you are expecting lots of cash deposits and that it is a capital loss, thus does not need to be taxed.

Otherwise try to do it over a few weeks and nothing over $10k, I guess they will have certain limits at which they will have to look into it, it will be higher than $1k, but maybe not more than 10k
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 05:22:11 PM

depend on your country/bank, i could see a problem with taxes, if you are planning to no pay them otherwise, there is no problem at all

you could in any case, split the amount in multiple withdrawals(keep each under 1k)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
March 20, 2015, 05:24:46 PM

Shouldn't make a difference assuming you are paying your taxes. If not then, well... Maybe you'll get lucky or maybe you will go to prison?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 10:28:52 PM

I only need to pay taxes on profits, correct? So if I bought all of them at 200 and sell them at 250 then I would need to pay taxes on the $50 profit on each coins?

Also, I live in the USA. Do I need to pay federal and state taxes ? or just federal taxes ?
hugs1BTC

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 22, 2015, 01:41:35 PM

Depens on where you live and laws. There was a site maybe called Bitlegal, with a map showing which countries are friendly with bitcoin or not, but I can't find it now.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 02:24:12 AM

I'm wondering how will the government know if I am getting money for bitcoins when it is just cash deposits?
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 07:16:10 AM

I'm wondering how will the government know if I am getting money for bitcoins when it is just cash deposits?

They can't, but if they are going to ask you about the nature of these deposits, you'll need to find some excuse, like selling used computer hardware..
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:02:14 AM

They can't, but if they are going to ask you about the nature of these deposits, you'll need to find some excuse, like selling used computer hardware..
They can still ask you to pay tax on any profits that you are making if you are selling used computer hardware.
I believe capital gains tax is low in America, maybe 28%.  You only pay that on your profit, so if you bought at $200 and sold at $250, you would pay $14 per bitcoin tax, assuming that 28% number is right.

They are unlikely to know about it though, unless you buy and sell through coinbase, in which case they could find out about it as it is a regulated exchange now.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 10:48:10 AM

They can still ask you to pay tax on any profits that you are making if you are selling used computer hardware.
I believe capital gains tax is low in America, maybe 28%.  You only pay that on your profit, so if you bought at $200 and sold at $250, you would pay $14 per bitcoin tax, assuming that 28% number is right.

They are unlikely to know about it though, unless you buy and sell through coinbase, in which case they could find out about it as it is a regulated exchange now.

you don't pay taxes on a used things, don't know in the usa how it works, but this how it should be, it doesn't make sense to pay taxes twice, and personally i wouldn't in any case
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:43:17 AM

I believe BTC.  You only pay that on your profit, so if you bought at $200 and sold at $250, you would pay $14 per bitcoin tax, assuming that 28% number is right.

I'm amazed to see someone considering a 28% tax rate is low!
I say ouch!

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 04:51:34 PM

2500$ is a normal amount and really not much, I guess they won't do anything for you. Just make it regularly, good luck.

About the taxes, make sure which state is asking the Bitcoin profit taxes.
Tabata11 (OP)

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 09:49:20 PM

My family has a restaurant business they have been running for years now. I was wondering if I can just sell through their bank accounts whenever I need large amounts of money($5k-$10k). I mean how will the bank know that this money is for bitcoins? Our family can tell the bank that we just happened to get a large catering order for a company or something...

I got this idea from how mobs and drug gangs money "clean" their money through restaurants and coin laundry mat.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 23, 2015, 11:59:05 PM

2500$ is a normal amount and really not much, I guess they won't do anything for you. Just make it regularly, good luck.

About the taxes, make sure which state is asking the Bitcoin profit taxes.

if you do it the right way there won't be much you have to worry about. some banks will not even bother if amount is below a certain amount. for example, here if you deal with anything below €5000 banks will not say anything.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: