Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 08:27:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin as in-game currency  (Read 10593 times)
thrashaholic

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 04:58:42 AM

There's a solution for this dilemma.  Lips sealed
What is the solution?

Well you cant really use btc as a virtual currency because it is a cash equivalent. You can sell tokens for btc though. As long as you cant cash the tokens out for any cash equivalents immediately you wont face any repercussions. Once you have the tokens you can  use them like any other virtual currency. This is the same reason you cant just use cash and claim it is a virtual currency. Tokens that you can earn however could be cashed out once your users got to an agreed amount.

Bitcoin needs its own virtual currency fork to be used as an in game system and not break the terms of service of zynga,super rewards and other virtual currency products.

If btc had been setup as virtual currency from the beginning it would be different,so now it has to be done differently.

Since when is bitcoin a cash equivalent?

It could be considered as such for some purposes because it is a store of value. In strict financial terms, it is not one. Regardless, it doesn't (In my understanding) invalidate its use as game "currency."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Babylon

Activity: 938
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 23, 2010, 07:19:15 PM

What is the solution?

Well you cant really use btc as a virtual currency because it is a cash equivalent. You can sell tokens for btc though. As long as you cant cash the tokens out for any cash equivalents immediately you wont face any repercussions. Once you have the tokens you can  use them like any other virtual currency. This is the same reason you cant just use cash and claim it is a virtual currency. Tokens that you can earn however could be cashed out once your users got to an agreed amount.

Bitcoin needs its own virtual currency fork to be used as an in game system and not break the terms of service of zynga,super rewards and other virtual currency products.

If btc had been setup as virtual currency from the beginning it would be different,so now it has to be done differently.

It could be considered as such for some purposes because it is a store of value. In strict financial terms, it is not one. Regardless, it doesn't (In my understanding) invalidate its use as game "currency."

Exactly.  Linden Dollars and Entropia bucks are also a store of value, Entropia bucks even have a fixed exchange rate with the US dollar.  They are still allowed as in game currency.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Anonymous

September 26, 2010, 11:57:57 AM

What is the solution?

Well I guess we are bound to find out one way or the other. I do hope it can be used as the ultimate virtual currency as that would make things a lot easier. While facebook ,entropia and second life all have their own virtual currency why would they accept bitcoin as competition?

I am just saying that bitcoin may have to develop its own mmorpg or virtual universe rather than rely on getting accepted in proprietary virtual worlds. Does this make sense?
thrashaholic

View Profile
September 26, 2010, 11:26:19 PM

What is the solution?

Well I guess we are bound to find out one way or the other. I do hope it can be used as the ultimate virtual currency as that would make things a lot easier. While facebook ,entropia and second life all have their own virtual currency why would they accept bitcoin as competition?

I am just saying that bitcoin may have to develop its own mmorpg or virtual universe rather than rely on getting accepted in proprietary virtual worlds. Does this make sense?

Makes sense, and it could be the very catalyst for it to be accepted/replaced in other virtual worlds/mmorpgs. It is exactly what I want to do with my game - unfortunately I never seem to have the time.  Undecided  If any developers who are experienced with distributed, concurrent development and want to make a full on virtual trading market, you know where to find me.  Grin
Anonymous

September 27, 2010, 04:44:22 AM

What is the solution?

Makes sense, and it could be the very catalyst for it to be accepted/replaced in other virtual worlds/mmorpgs. It is exactly what I want to do with my game - unfortunately I never seem to have the time.  Undecided  If any developers who are experienced with distributed, concurrent development and want to make a full on virtual trading market, you know where to find me.  Grin

The other problem is if you make a semi successful facebook game zynga just rips you off and creates their own clone of your idea !
thrashaholic

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 05:20:23 AM

The other problem is if you make a semi successful facebook game zynga just rips you off and creates their own clone of your idea !

They're great at that, aren't they? Good thing my idea is quite a bit too advanced for the monkeys at Zynga ( I know some of their devs ) - and the actual profit motive in terms of BTC is a large part of the allure - they can't clone that.
Larasmith1997

Activity: 44

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 03:34:50 PM

there are a lot of platforms on the web where you can use btc as payment
SnapDown22

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 03:43:50 PM

I've tried playing games on steam and it's already possible to pay with bitcoin, how come I played a few months ago and it's very profitable and an initiative that is suitable for gamers
dupee419

Activity: 1344
Merit: 261

View Profile
November 25, 2018, 04:42:19 PM

Why would someone implement BTC as an in-game currency? It is actually a good idea to put BTC as a virtual currency in a game, its not a bad idea to put BTC, I've played a game before, a mobile game to be exact wherein I would continuously tap my screen in order for me to earn BTC, my character was in a computer and it was an 8-bit game, the main focus there was to get richer and richer by using BTC, I can't recall that much but I think my avatar was mining since he was using his computer, probably ASICs  Grin , Here is the link though, might as well check it out, its very addicting and no I'm not endorsing the game, heads up by the way, what you get here in the game stays in the game, it's not real BITCOIN MONEY.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.bitcoin
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: