Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 03:13:43 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing BTC Canada - Canada's Bitcoin Mining Pool!  (Read 10132 times)
BTCCanada (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 12:49:02 PM

BTC Canada's combined computing strength is now over 50 MHash/s! A big thank you to to everyone who has joined so far!
purelithium

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 12:56:43 PM

Power's out where I am, so my meagre 500 Mhash/s is out of the game for now.

Like my post? 1H7bfRYh7F89mfmFgsRCdn4awDaUHQmYqY
Clipse

Merit: 502

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:05:09 PM

Since this is pplns pool you will eventually earn nothing due to being disconnected, just remember that.

...In the land of the stale, the man with one share is king... >> Clipse

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
BTCCanada (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 01:07:35 PM

100 GHash/s now! jddebug is bringing out the big guns. 28 hours per block!
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 01:56:42 PM

Since this is pplns pool you will eventually earn nothing due to being disconnected, just remember that.
That happens with every pool.
purelithium

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 02:25:03 PM

Haha you think I'm happy about this?

Like my post? 1H7bfRYh7F89mfmFgsRCdn4awDaUHQmYqY
Clipse

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:37:39 PM

Nope, only on DGM(with really low tolerance settings), PPLNS and scorebased pools could you end up with 0 earnings for no matter how many shares you submitted if you disconnect for long enough.

Prop, PPS, SMPPS dont care if you disconnect, you still earn what you should.

Haha you think I'm happy about this?

Not at all, just figured Id inform you in case you didnt know, heh.

We pay miners at 130% PPS | Signup here : Bonus PPS Pool (Please read OP to understand the current process)
BTCCanada (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 14, 2012, 04:39:05 PM

Nope, only on DGM(with really low tolerance settings), PPLNS and scorebased pools could you end up with 0 earnings for no matter how many shares you submitted if you disconnect for long enough.

Prop and PPS dont care if you disconnect, you still earn what you should.

The only people who are particularly affected are pool hoppers. For most people, PPLNS offers the most fair rewards.
Clipse

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:40:28 PM

Prop and PPS dont care if you disconnect, you still earn what you should.

The only people who are particularly affected are pool hoppers. For most people, PPLNS offers the most fair rewards.

Oh no, I was just informing purelithium about the side effects of quitting midround. Im not judging PPLNS for those who have no hardware issues, sure its fair if you actually dont drop like he has.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:47:23 PM

The issue is that there's no way of knowing when "mid-round" is. Disconnecting is just as likely to land you in the end-round, when your earnings/share are higher than usual, as the start-round, when your earnings are 0.

The net effect is that disconnecting won't affect your payout.
Clipse

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:53:00 PM

The issue is that there's no way of knowing when "mid-round" is. Disconnecting is just as likely to land you in the end-round, when your earnings/share are higher than usual, as the start-round, when your earnings are 0.

The net effect is that disconnecting won't affect your payout.

You blew my mind with that logic, let me come back to earth.

If I stay connected on PPLNS I will be assured of never being penalised and if I disconnect at any time there is a high likelihood of getting penalised and even dropped to zero rewards, since you stated that you dont know when the block will be found which is true but doesnt avoid the fact that you still need to be assured that within xshares after you drop the block is found otherwise you lose some or all mined rewards.

If you stay connected or drop from prop/pps/smpps(and I guess there is a few others) you will never be penalised down to 0 rewards no matter what.

The net effect is that PPLNS disconnecting will drop your rewards or remove all of them.

If you still cant see the difference of the knock on effect then I just dont know. Wink

* Im not going to continue this discussion in this thread, I initially just wanted to give purelithium advise without a shitstorm to come from this *

Digigami

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 04:57:54 PM

All good points.. important to note this pool; as far as the website front page states, calculates the round shares over 1/2 difficulty shares.. so over 1 million shares per round at current difficulty. If you've disconnected long enough for that many shares to go by without contributing, then I think you would deserve to have lost your contribution. Anyone mining who is only running for part of the day or suffers from instability and lots of down time should probably just use a PPS pool.
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
August 14, 2012, 05:17:09 PM

All good points.. important to note this pool; as far as the website front page states, calculates the round shares over 1/2 difficulty shares.. so over 1 million shares per round at current difficulty. If you've disconnected long enough for that many shares to go by without contributing, then I think you would deserve to have lost your contribution. Anyone mining who is only running for part of the day or suffers from instability and lots of down time should probably just use a PPS pool.

I have been mining for over a year and I still can't see a consensus in regard to the question of what is the best type of pool for someone who mines only during the day and shuts their computer off at night. 

Some people are adamant that PPLNS is the best for that type of user while there are others who feel, like above, that PPS is the best.  Lol 
muqali

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 15, 2012, 12:52:03 PM

Is your page accurate in that you have found no blocks? The last 5 blocks statistic is empty.

donations BTC: 1CaCwo4xneTqTLEdomW76Cg5NteZyvXi1c
donations LTC: LTcasvjtLuN92ks1Pc1qtkvE9PswsXEbev
BTCCanada (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 15, 2012, 01:03:52 PM

Is your page accurate in that you have found no blocks? The last 5 blocks statistic is empty.

Yes. This pool was first opened to the public on August 8th, and has only recently grown above 100 GHash/s.
BTCCanada (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 17, 2012, 02:59:28 PM

Hello everyone, I sent this in an email to all registered users, but though I'd post it here too to be sure:

Hello BTC Canada miners,

As some of you may have noticed, the "Round Shares" and "Top 30 Lifetime Shares" fields on the BTC Canada stats page have been showing incorrect values for the past couple days. This was found to be due to insufficient memory in the cache. As the stats engine simply takes snapshots of the backend and caches them, there has been absolutely no impact to your recorded shares or eventual payout, and any work you submitted after this error had occurred has been successfully recorded. The cache issue has since been fixed, and your stats page will now be displaying correct values.

If you have any other issues, comments, or questions regarding BTC Canada, please contact me at contact@btccan.com. I apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to this issue, and hope you'll continue to help make this one of North America's premier Bitcoin mining pools!

Regards,

Logan
BTC Canda

Tittiez

Activity: 686

View Profile
September 01, 2012, 12:59:20 AM

Hey look a block!
pulp

Activity: 23

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 07:49:46 PM

Link no workie.... was this a pump and dump?
Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:21:13 PM

Link no workie.... was this a pump and dump?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump I'd say not
more likely the operator found running a pool wasn't as easy as 1st thought and lost interest, this happens a lot, sometimes the operator closes down properly sometimes they just wander off. Judging by the lack of screams from unpaid miners I guess this one did the right thing.

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
jacky4566

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 28, 2013, 08:17:02 AM

Too bad this is dead. I like the idea of not filling international pipelines with mining data. Seems pointless to mine for a foreign server when local is just as good.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: