Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 01:24:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Gambler's fallacy, what do you think?  (Read 5873 times)
GannickusX

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 01:32:17 PM

I think the gambler's fallacy theory could be applied to sportsbetting too because for example the France-Brazil game yesterday finished 1-3 and knowing that the last game in Brazil ended 3-0 I would have thought now it was time for France to win having less substitutes in the team but guess what it the stats don't matter and each event is one unaffected instance. And yes I lost my bet on France to win  Cool
Gambler's fallacy theory is just for something random, Sports game is totally unrandom, it depends the ability of each player, you can't say the ability of each player is random.

There are still some chance in sports game. In basketball when you shoot the ball theres a chance it will spin off the backboard weirdly, you jump weirdly, your muscles might act a bit differently, there is so many variables. Theres always the edge that a team has of winning but it isn't predetermined.

Yes, there is chance, but how the first free throw bounced off the rim has absolutely nothing to do with how the second one will bounce off the rim (if it even hits the rim).
True, but its the same thing as this. if the first one doesn't go in the net then you might bet on the second one because "the odds have to be even right".
Also you CAN apply martingale to sports betting, if you lose your bet you keep doubling until you win, its still possible

Martingale in sports works better, you can also use it in trading, sort of. Its way safer in sports than dice or any other gambling game but it can fail in the end aswell unless you have good funds and you also bet with other methods at the same time
futureofbitcoin

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2015, 04:34:51 PM

Yes, there is chance, but how the first free throw bounced off the rim has absolutely nothing to do with how the second one will bounce off the rim (if it even hits the rim).

Not necessarily. For example, if you threw the ball at the hoop, and it landed 10 meters away, chances are, you would adjust your aim and strength.

Plus there are also psychological factors at play here. So I wouldn't say two free throws are completely disconnected. Unlike a dice throw.
Phildo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 03:44:39 AM

I think the gambler's fallacy theory could be applied to sportsbetting too because for example the France-Brazil game yesterday finished 1-3 and knowing that the last game in Brazil ended 3-0 I would have thought now it was time for France to win having less substitutes in the team but guess what it the stats don't matter and each event is one unaffected instance. And yes I lost my bet on France to win  Cool
Gambler's fallacy theory is just for something random, Sports game is totally unrandom, it depends the ability of each player, you can't say the ability of each player is random.

There are still some chance in sports game. In basketball when you shoot the ball theres a chance it will spin off the backboard weirdly, you jump weirdly, your muscles might act a bit differently, there is so many variables. Theres always the edge that a team has of winning but it isn't predetermined.

True, but its the same thing as this. if the first one doesn't go in the net then you might bet on the second one because "the odds have to be even right".
Also you CAN apply martingale to sports betting, if you lose your bet you keep doubling until you win, its still possible

The odds most certainly don't "have to be even."  if you are going to hit 50% of your free throws over the course of your life, and you miss one, the odds of the next one are still 50/50 because the odds "be even" when the next 1 million free throws are 50/50 overall. You can apply martingale to sports betting the same way you can to every other bet. it will be great until you get on a losing streak that hits the maximum bet or the end of your bankroll.
psykachu

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 03:47:30 AM

at the end always finish on 50%... but how we consider house edge... you'll always lose
Phildo
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 03:47:38 AM

Not necessarily. For example, if you threw the ball at the hoop, and it landed 10 meters away, chances are, you would adjust your aim and strength.

Plus there are also psychological factors at play here. So I wouldn't say two free throws are completely disconnected. Unlike a dice throw.

Sports is weird, because most of the time the events people are talking about are not independent (like dice throws or coin flipping) but that doesn't mean the fallacy doesn't apply. It is possible to lose x games in a row, it is possible to win x games in a row. The result of one game will have a lot more to do with the skill level/conditions the game will be played under than the result of the previous games.
Morenod

Activity: 197

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:00:18 AM

Sport odds and statistics is very different with other things like dice and flips. The approximate outcome is known a flip to be 50% so flip 10 times with no heads is extremely rare, but sports team losing 10 times in a row is not so rare.

skierchewing

Activity: 338

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:14:03 AM

does martiglan work?
klutzbelgian

Activity: 146

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:14:21 AM

You'll always lose... don't gamble
skierchewing

Activity: 338

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 04:48:09 AM

i don't think so... i think all will bring to 50/50 at end
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 05:42:59 AM

i don't think so... i think all will bring to 50/50 at end

What? Thats a lie. Depending on what the house edge is, thats what will bring at the end, if you have a 49% chance of winning and you play 1 million times you will be damn close to 49%, the problem is that in those bets no one guarantees you, you wont get 30 reds in a row or 30 blacks or both, thats why martingale fails.
Darwerft

Activity: 27
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:01:37 PM

It is the reason why people lose their money. Martingale does not work. The goat behind the door does not care about previous choices and chances are reset every time you take a gamble. Unless it is rigged.

Imagine there were 1000 doors and there are goats behind all but one, you now choose door 1, the host opens all the other doors but number 1 and number 267.

Would you go with door number 1 or door number 267?

Do you think the goat cares?
If youd like to get that car, you better change to door 267 as motherfucking fast as you can.

Do you really believe there is a 50% chance still?
ndnh
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1005

New Decentralized Nuclear Hobbit

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:07:54 PM

It is the reason why people lose their money. Martingale does not work. The goat behind the door does not care about previous choices and chances are reset every time you take a gamble. Unless it is rigged.

Imagine there were 1000 doors and there are goats behind all but one, you now choose door 1, the host opens all the other doors but number 1 and number 267.

If youd like to get that car, you better change to door 267 as motherfucking fast as you can.

lol, if I am correct, I think the chances of winning are 999/1000 by picking door 267. Wink
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:10:56 PM

lol, if I am correct, I think the chances of winning are 999/1000 by picking door 267. Wink

Chances are, both door number 1 and door number 267 contains goats. The car is in a door that's already been opened.
XinXan

Activity: 1064
Merit: 505

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:11:02 PM

the chances are 50% by picking the door 267 because you are choosing between 2 doors, 50/50
The chances are 1 / 1000 the first time you pick a door.
Phildo
Legendary

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:20:48 PM

Please don't turn this thread into a monty hall argument. We have idiots in here who can't figure out the most basic of probability, if you start discussing something that legit statisticians have disagreed on everyone is going to lose their coins and their brain cells much faster.
futureofbitcoin

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:34:47 PM

Please don't turn this thread into a monty hall argument. We have idiots in here who can't figure out the most basic of probability, if you start discussing something that legit statisticians have disagreed on everyone is going to lose their coins and their brain cells much faster.

Bolded is the key. Just read darwerft's post,
as if the problem is trivial, in an attempt to make himself look smart or something, when he can't even formulate the whole problem. Seriously.

@XinXan: that's a logical fallacy. What's the chances of 1,000,000,000 dollars suddenly appearing in my bedroom? It either happens or it doesn't, so it's 50/50, right? Well, just because there are only 2 choices doesn't mean it's 50/50.
MasterYii

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:32:23 PM

hmmm, I kinda agree on the image.

eventually when you keep rolling you are improving the odds of a 50% rate, as opposed to just rolling once.
Minnlo

Activity: 868

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:50:34 PM

the chances are 50% by picking the door 267 because you are choosing between 2 doors, 50/50
The chances are 1 / 1000 the first time you pick a door.

Not really, ndnhc is correct.
I would suggest you to take a look at http://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-monty-hall-problem/.
Or you could make a simple simulation to check the probability yourself.

egajuarsa

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 06:55:49 PM

at the end always finish on 50%... but how we consider house edge... you'll always lose

yes but you must play for long time to see house edge.

sometime you can win big! but other time you play and play and play and no wins. this is random.
Miss Fortune

Activity: 224

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 07:34:31 PM

this is all based on speculation of having a big bank roll right?

if so, then yeah you`ll see the edge out to a win.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: